.net install problems

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Vahan Babakhanian, Dec 3, 2003.

  1. first time dealing with .Net
    [ win2k server with .Net framework & WebMatrix installed ]
    have 3 questions

    1.
    when starting Start / Program Files / Admin Tools / .Net Framework
    Configuration
    i'm getting an error message:
    MMC - Snap-in failed to initialize .Net Framework Configuration

    2.
    sample test1.aspx file is located in /wwwroot.
    when openning a sample aspx file in the IE, v.6 browser - i'm getting an
    error:
    "Server Application Unavailable. The web application you are attempting to
    access on this web server is currently unavailable."

    in win2k server Event Log:
    aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. HRESULT for the failure: 80004005

    3.
    is it possible to use such a configuration:
    ..Net installed on the server of the local network
    WebMatrix installed on the local PC

    thanks for advices.
    Vahan Babakhanian, Dec 3, 2003

  2. Vahan Babakhanian wrote:
    > first time dealing with .Net
    > [ win2k server with .Net framework & WebMatrix installed ]
    > have 3 questions
    >
    > 1.
    > when starting Start / Program Files / Admin Tools / .Net Framework
    > Configuration
    > i'm getting an error message:
    > MMC - Snap-in failed to initialize .Net Framework Configuration
    >
    > 2.
    > sample test1.aspx file is located in /wwwroot.
    > when openning a sample aspx file in the IE, v.6 browser - i'm getting an
    > error:
    > "Server Application Unavailable. The web application you are attempting to
    > access on this web server is currently unavailable."
    >
    > in win2k server Event Log:
    > aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. HRESULT for the failure: 80004005
    >
    > 3.
    > is it possible to use such a configuration:
    > .Net installed on the server of the local network
    > WebMatrix installed on the local PC
    >
    > thanks for advices.

    is it a domain controller? If so, you need to do some special user setup

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/SecNetAP01.asp

    see the section on running on a domain controller..

    if not, try changing the user in processModel in your machine.config to
    SYSTEM and see if it'll run. Note I don't recommend running this way
    for security reasons, but this will help flush out if it is your user
    (and I think this'll work even if you are a domain controller)

    --
    Craig Deelsnyder
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    Craig Deelsnyder, Dec 3, 2003