.net newbie query

Kaushik Dutta

Hi
Is there a way to achieve the following in ASP.NET?

1) I have a .NET application, consisting of , say , 3 pages, each of then
using codebehind .
2) I make change to one (or more) codebehind files . I DO NOT compile the
files after making the changes.
3) When I make a request for any of the pages (whose codebehind files I
have changed), the changed files are compiled automatically(on the fly) and
the page is displayed with the changes reflected in the page functionality.

Any help will be appreciated.

thanks and regards
Kaushik

Daniel Bass

As far as I know, the code in ASP is not "compiled", that is, no lower level
files are generated. Compiling happens when the user views the page. You
build the project in VS.NET to simply check the syntactical layout of your
code.

1. view your page,
2. If you edit a file for the code begin in notepad say, then save it.
3. view your page again.

does this produce the result you require?

Kevin Spencer

It is not necessary to use CodeBehind that is compiled to a DLL, so the
answer to your question is "yes." In the Page Template, you would add a
"src=PathToCodeBehind" attribute, and change the "Inherits" to not point to
a namespace.class, but just the class name of the CodeBehind class.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP