.NET not reliable enough?

Jonathan Wood

There are no guarantees about the future direction of technology. And,
hopefully, there will continue to be a number of competing platforms.

That said, please note that you bet against Microsoft at your own risk.

Mr. Arnold

Nomen Nescio said:
http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2568

I'm wondering if my investment in studying .NET technology is going to
pay off. The LSE loss is a huge blow to the credibility of Microsoft
and .NET in the marketplace and people are sure to notice. So far I'm
not having any problems getting .NET freelance jobs, but this may
change in the future because of this rout.

Comments?

The LSE? Please! The LSE is minuscule in comparison to Archer Daniels
Midland Co., Proctor and Gamble, Kroger's, Progressive Car Insurance, USAF,
Anhuser Busch, US-Army, state, federal and local government agencies,
many many other large corporations, small ones and other such entities that
are on the .NET platform for MS to be worried about the LSE.

And let me make this clear to you, since you're posting in a Web forum. The
whole world doesn't center around Web solutions, which is only one aspect of
..NET. They are many none Web based solutions running on .NET.

There are many .NET languages such as COBOL.NET with COBOL language
providers that have had the solutions converted over to use COBOL.NET.

http://www.dotnetlanguages.net/DNL/Resources.aspx

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4485 (20091006) __________

http://www.eset.com

Ray Porter

Mr. Arnold said:
The LSE? Please! The LSE is minuscule in comparison to Archer Daniels
Midland Co., Proctor and Gamble, Kroger's, Progressive Car Insurance,
USAF, Anhuser Busch, US-Army, state, federal and local government
agencies, many many other large corporations, small ones and other such
entities that are on the .NET platform for MS to be worried about the LSE.

And let me make this clear to you, since you're posting in a Web forum.
The whole world doesn't center around Web solutions, which is only one
aspect of .NET. They are many none Web based solutions running on .NET.

There are many .NET languages such as COBOL.NET with COBOL language
providers that have had the solutions converted over to use COBOL.NET.

http://www.dotnetlanguages.net/DNL/Resources.aspx

The OP's subject line was also somewhat misleading. The article didn't
imply in any way that the decision was made because .Net was unreliable.
Rather it was a matter of cost and ownership of the software development
process. They decided to buy a software company and take full, internal
control of the direction of their enterprise tools -- something I think
often makes a lot of sense compared to the industry trend to buy
hyper-expensive third-party solutions like some of the big ERP products.

Ray