    not having any problems getting .NET freelance jobs, but this may
    change in the future because of this rout.

    Comments?

    Nomen Nescio, Oct 7, 2009

  2. There are no guarantees about the future direction of technology. And,
    hopefully, there will continue to be a number of competing platforms.

    That said, please note that you bet against Microsoft at your own risk.

    --
    Jonathan Wood
    SoftCircuits Programming

    Jonathan Wood, Oct 7, 2009

  3. Nomen Nescio

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    > http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2568
    >
    > I'm wondering if my investment in studying .NET technology is going to
    > pay off. The LSE loss is a huge blow to the credibility of Microsoft
    > and .NET in the marketplace and people are sure to notice. So far I'm
    > not having any problems getting .NET freelance jobs, but this may
    > change in the future because of this rout.
    >
    > Comments?

    The LSE? Please! The LSE is minuscule in comparison to Archer Daniels
    Midland Co., Proctor and Gamble, Kroger's, Progressive Car Insurance, USAF,
    Anhuser Busch, US-Army, state, federal and local government agencies,
    many many other large corporations, small ones and other such entities that
    are on the .NET platform for MS to be worried about the LSE.

    And let me make this clear to you, since you're posting in a Web forum. The
    whole world doesn't center around Web solutions, which is only one aspect of
    ..NET. They are many none Web based solutions running on .NET.

    There are many .NET languages such as COBOL.NET with COBOL language
    providers that have had the solutions converted over to use COBOL.NET.

    http://www.dotnetlanguages.net/DNL/Resources.aspx

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4485 (20091006) __________

    http://www.eset.com

    Mr. Arnold, Oct 7, 2009
  4. Nomen Nescio

    Ray Porter Guest

    "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message

    > "Nomen Nescio" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2568
    >>
    >> I'm wondering if my investment in studying .NET technology is going to
    >> pay off. The LSE loss is a huge blow to the credibility of Microsoft
    >> and .NET in the marketplace and people are sure to notice. So far I'm
    >> not having any problems getting .NET freelance jobs, but this may
    >> change in the future because of this rout.
    >>
    >> Comments?

    > The LSE? Please! The LSE is minuscule in comparison to Archer Daniels
    > Midland Co., Proctor and Gamble, Kroger's, Progressive Car Insurance,
    > USAF, Anhuser Busch, US-Army, state, federal and local government
    > agencies, many many other large corporations, small ones and other such
    > entities that are on the .NET platform for MS to be worried about the LSE.
    >
    > And let me make this clear to you, since you're posting in a Web forum.
    > The whole world doesn't center around Web solutions, which is only one
    > aspect of .NET. They are many none Web based solutions running on .NET.
    >
    > There are many .NET languages such as COBOL.NET with COBOL language
    > providers that have had the solutions converted over to use COBOL.NET.
    >
    > http://www.dotnetlanguages.net/DNL/Resources.aspx

    The OP's subject line was also somewhat misleading. The article didn't
    imply in any way that the decision was made because .Net was unreliable.
    Rather it was a matter of cost and ownership of the software development
    process. They decided to buy a software company and take full, internal
    control of the direction of their enterprise tools -- something I think
    often makes a lot of sense compared to the industry trend to buy
    hyper-expensive third-party solutions like some of the big ERP products.

    Ray

    Ray Porter, Oct 7, 2009