    * Not Lumber Cartel Unit 75 [TINLC] *
    * I am not SPEWS.ORG *
    ***************************************

    DLU, Sep 18, 2009

  2. On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 11:02:18 -0700, DLU <> wrote:

    >Is there a website that explains .NET programming. I need to add some
    >server side programming to my site so that email and messages can be
    >sent without showing the recipients address.

    You can do it using php - and there is a lot of examples on the web.

    Raymond Schmit, Sep 18, 2009

  3. On Sep 18, 6:34 pm, (Raymond Schmit) wrote:
    > You can do it using php - and there is a lot of examples on the web.

    How the hell does that have anything to do with the OPs question?

    "I need some blue paint"

    "Hey here's some red paint, lots of it..."

    While you may be able to do it with php, the op specifically asked
    about .net. Better use of usenet would have been to direct him/her to
    google and to google ".net server email solution"

    Travis Newbury, Sep 18, 2009
  4. DLU

    DLU Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:

    > While you may be able to do it with php, the op specifically asked
    > about .net. Better use of usenet would have been to direct him/her to
    > google and to google ".net server email solution"

    So far the only tutorial I have been able to find is at:
    http://www.w3schools.com/ASPNET/default.asp
    --
    ***************************************
    * This is the Spammish Inquisition *

    DLU, Sep 19, 2009
  5. DLU

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "DLU" <> wrote in message
    > Travis Newbury wrote:
    >
    >> While you may be able to do it with php, the op specifically asked
    >> about .net. Better use of usenet would have been to direct him/her to
    >> google and to google ".net server email solution"

    > So far the only tutorial I have been able to find is at:
    > http://www.w3schools.com/ASPNET/default.asp

    Try using "getting started with" as your search term instead of "tutorial".

    Try:

    getting started with c#
    getting started with asp.net

    However if you're new to ASP.NET you may be better off skipping ordinary
    ASP.NET and starting with the new MVC framework instead, it's a lot cleaner
    and nicer:

    getting started with asp.net mvc

    Nik Coughlin, Sep 19, 2009
  6. DLU

    DLU Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > "DLU" <> wrote in message
    >> Travis Newbury wrote:
    >>
    >>> While you may be able to do it with php, the op specifically asked
    >>> about .net. Better use of usenet would have been to direct him/her to
    >>> google and to google ".net server email solution"

    I also found this:
    http://www.w3schools.com/ngws/default.asp

    But what I need soon is how to set up the server side file to accept an
    input from the website.
    http://www.sierraclub.org/ca/cnrcc/
    See contacts, I would like to be able to put the email addresses on the
    server and have a form for emailing them on the web page.

    --
    ***************************************

    DLU, Sep 19, 2009
  7. DLU

    David Segall Guest

    DLU <> wrote:

    >Is there a website that explains .NET programming. I need to add some
    >server side programming to my site so that email and messages can be
    >sent without showing the recipients address.

    If you really want to use .NET for this check out Microsoft's free
    Visual Web Developer Express Edition
    <http://www.microsoft.com/express/vwd/>. They even provide the code -
    <http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/WebAppToolkitEmail>.

    David Segall, Sep 19, 2009
  8. DLU

    Peter Guest

    In article <9aaee$4ab42ab5$40717bba$>,
    says...
    > Travis Newbury wrote:
    >
    > > While you may be able to do it with php, the op specifically asked
    > > about .net. Better use of usenet would have been to direct him/her to
    > > google and to google ".net server email solution"

    > So far the only tutorial I have been able to find is at:
    > http://www.w3schools.com/ASPNET/default.asp

    Found some here:

    http://www.programmingtutorials.com/aspnet.aspx

    --
    Pete Ives

    Peter, Sep 19, 2009
  9. On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 15:51:46 -0700 (PDT), Travis Newbury
    <> wrote:

    >On Sep 18, 6:34 pm, (Raymond Schmit) wrote:
    >> You can do it using php - and there is a lot of examples on the web.

    >How the hell does that have anything to do with the OPs question?

    Because he is looking about how to program :
    >>> I need to add some
    >>> server side programming to my site so that email and messages
    >>> can be sent without showing the recipients address.

    by using .NET.

    I have juste mentioned that he will find what he want to do by looking
    for PHP example. then he can use PHP as "server side programming"

    Raymond Schmit, Sep 19, 2009
  10. DLU

    DLU Guest

    David Segall wrote:
    > DLU <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a website that explains .NET programming. I need to add some
    >> server side programming to my site so that email and messages can be
    >> sent without showing the recipients address.

    > If you really want to use .NET for this check out Microsoft's free
    > Visual Web Developer Express Edition
    > <http://www.microsoft.com/express/vwd/>. They even provide the code -
    > <http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/WebAppToolkitEmail>.

    The server the website is on is using .Net.

    --
    ***************************************

    DLU, Sep 20, 2009
  11. On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 22:09:50 -0700, DLU <> wrote:

    >David Segall wrote:
    >> DLU <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a website that explains .NET programming. I need to add some
    >>> server side programming to my site so that email and messages can be
    >>> sent without showing the recipients address.

    >> If you really want to use .NET for this check out Microsoft's free
    >> Visual Web Developer Express Edition
    >> <http://www.microsoft.com/express/vwd/>. They even provide the code -
    >> <http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/WebAppToolkitEmail>.

    >The server the website is on is using .Net.

    This server did not offer php nor perl ?

    Raymond Schmit, Sep 20, 2009
  12. On Sep 20, 5:53 pm, (Raymond Schmit) wrote:
    > >The server the website is on is using .Net.

    > This server did not offer php nor perl ?

    Who cares...

    Travis Newbury, Sep 20, 2009
  13. DLU

    David Segall Guest

    DLU <> wrote:

    >David Segall wrote:
    >> DLU <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a website that explains .NET programming. I need to add some
    >>> server side programming to my site so that email and messages can be
    >>> sent without showing the recipients address.

    >> If you really want to use .NET for this check out Microsoft's free
    >> Visual Web Developer Express Edition
    >> <http://www.microsoft.com/express/vwd/>. They even provide the code -
    >> <http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/WebAppToolkitEmail>.

    >The server the website is on is using .Net.

    It is almost certain that any server that runs .NET can, and probably
    does, run PHP. If you don't have access to it the reason is
    administrative, not software.

    However, my querulous tone was not about choosing different server
    software. Unless you have a particular problem with spam I think the
    standard HTML "mailto:" syntax combined with address munging
    <http://www.ianr.unl.edu/internet/mailto.html> is preferable. It is
    simpler than server based email and it gives the impression that you
    want to receive an email. If you choose a disposable email address you
    can change your method if spam becomes a problem. My feeling when
    faced with a form based email is identical to that when faced with a
    menu based telephone answering system. It seems intended to save them
    time and money at my expense.

    David Segall, Sep 21, 2009
  14. DLU

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > However if you're new to ASP.NET you may be better off skipping ordinary
    > ASP.NET and starting with the new MVC framework instead, it's a lot cleaner
    > and nicer:
    >
    > getting started with asp.net mvc

    For MVC you can’t go wrong starting with the tutorials etc on the
    official .NET site: http://www.asp.net/mvc/

    --
    Dylan Parry

    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber†– Einstein

    Dylan Parry, Sep 21, 2009
  15. On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 15:17:31 -0700 (PDT), Travis Newbury
    <> wrote:

    >On Sep 20, 5:53 pm, (Raymond Schmit) wrote:
    >> >The server the website is on is using .Net.

    >> This server did not offer php nor perl ?

    >Who cares...

    Because those languages are simpler and have a lot of examples of what
    he is trying to do:

    Raymond Schmit, Sep 21, 2009
  16. On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 06:52:53 GMT, David Segall <>
    wrote:

    >DLU <> wrote:
    >
    >>David Segall wrote:

    >>> If you really want to use .NET for this check out Microsoft's free
    >>> Visual Web Developer Express Edition
    >>> <http://www.microsoft.com/express/vwd/>. They even provide the code -
    >>> <http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/WebAppToolkitEmail>.

    >>The server the website is on is using .Net.

    >It is almost certain that any server that runs .NET can, and probably
    >does, run PHP. If you don't have access to it the reason is
    >administrative, not software.
    >
    >However, my querulous tone was not about choosing different server
    >software. Unless you have a particular problem with spam I think the
    >standard HTML "mailto:" syntax combined with address munging
    ><http://www.ianr.unl.edu/internet/mailto.html> is preferable. It is
    >simpler than server based email and it gives the impression that you
    >want to receive an email. If you choose a disposable email address you
    >can change your method if spam becomes a problem. My feeling when
    >faced with a form based email is identical to that when faced with a
    >menu based telephone answering system. It seems intended to save them
    >time and money at my expense.

    Correct ... he may also find a way to obfuscate the mail adress by
    choosing in the following list:
    http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#h...email&aq=f&aqi=g9g-m1&oq=&fp=a6b12fe4bce92d85

    Raymond Schmit, Sep 21, 2009
  17. DLU

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Raymond Schmit wrote:

    > Because those languages are simpler and have a lot of examples of what
    > he is trying to do:

    But still your comments were not relevant. If the OP was asking how to
    to peel an orange you wouldn’t tell him to eat apples instead because
    they are easier, would you? The question was clearly about .Net, so any
    answers suggesting PHP, Perl, Ruby, anything else are not relevant.

    Dylan Parry, Sep 21, 2009
  18. On Sep 21, 11:35 am, (Raymond Schmit)
    wrote:
    > >> This server did not offer php nor perl ?

    > >Who cares...

    > Because those languages are simpler and have a lot of examples of what
    > he is trying to do:

    OP: I want to fix my Ford pickup anyone have instructions?
    YOU: Hey, there is plenty instructions for fixing a Volkswagon Bug...

    Who cares

    Travis Newbury, Sep 21, 2009
  19. On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 16:54:07 +0100, Dylan Parry
    <> wrote:

    >Raymond Schmit wrote:
    >
    >> Because those languages are simpler and have a lot of examples of what
    >> he is trying to do:

    >But still your comments were not relevant. If the OP was asking how to
    >to peel an orange you wouldn’t tell him to eat apples instead because
    >they are easier, would you? The question was clearly about .Net, so any
    >answers suggesting PHP, Perl, Ruby, anything else are not relevant.

    1. That's your point of view.
    2. Asking about .NET is irrelevant here. "alt.html" speaks about HTML.
    So the solution of obfuscating the mail adress IS relevant.

    Raymond Schmit, Sep 21, 2009
  20. DLU

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Raymond Schmit wrote:

    > 2. Asking about .NET is irrelevant here. "alt.html" speaks about HTML.

    alt.html has historically been the group to ask general website
    development questions, not just those restricted to HTML, in fact for
    HTML questions you (would) have been better off in c.i.w.a.h (although I
    guess that group is probably as dead as this one these days?)

    Dylan Parry, Sep 22, 2009