.NET Question.

DLU

Is there a website that explains .NET programming. I need to add some
server side programming to my site so that email and messages can be
sent without showing the recipients address.

--
***************************************
* This is the Spammish Inquisition *

Raymond Schmit

Is there a website that explains .NET programming. I need to add some
server side programming to my site so that email and messages can be
sent without showing the recipients address.

You can do it using php - and there is a lot of examples on the web.

Travis Newbury

You can do it using php - and there is a lot of examples on the web.

How the hell does that have anything to do with the OPs question?

"I need some blue paint"

"Hey here's some red paint, lots of it..."

While you may be able to do it with php, the op specifically asked
about .net. Better use of usenet would have been to direct him/her to
google and to google ".net server email solution"

DLU

Travis said:
While you may be able to do it with php, the op specifically asked
about .net. Better use of usenet would have been to direct him/her to
google and to google ".net server email solution"

So far the only tutorial I have been able to find is at:
http://www.w3schools.com/ASPNET/default.asp
--
***************************************
* This is the Spammish Inquisition *
* Not Lumber Cartel Unit 75 [TINLC] *
* I am not SPEWS.ORG *
***************************************

Nik Coughlin

DLU said:
So far the only tutorial I have been able to find is at:
http://www.w3schools.com/ASPNET/default.asp

Try using "getting started with" as your search term instead of "tutorial".

Try:

getting started with c#
getting started with asp.net

However if you're new to ASP.NET you may be better off skipping ordinary
ASP.NET and starting with the new MVC framework instead, it's a lot cleaner
and nicer:

getting started with asp.net mvc

DLU

I also found this:
http://www.w3schools.com/ngws/default.asp

But what I need soon is how to set up the server side file to accept an
input from the website.
http://www.sierraclub.org/ca/cnrcc/
See contacts, I would like to be able to put the email addresses on the
server and have a form for emailing them on the web page.

--
***************************************
* This is the Spammish Inquisition *
* Not Lumber Cartel Unit 75 [TINLC] *
* I am not SPEWS.ORG *
***************************************

Raymond Schmit

How the hell does that have anything to do with the OPs question?

Because he is looking about how to program :by using .NET.

I have juste mentioned that he will find what he want to do by looking
for PHP example. then he can use PHP as "server side programming"

DLU

David Segall

DLU said:
The server the website is on is using .Net.

It is almost certain that any server that runs .NET can, and probably
does, run PHP. If you don't have access to it the reason is
administrative, not software.

However, my querulous tone was not about choosing different server
software. Unless you have a particular problem with spam I think the
standard HTML "mailto:" syntax combined with address munging
<http://www.ianr.unl.edu/internet/mailto.html> is preferable. It is
simpler than server based email and it gives the impression that you
want to receive an email. If you choose a disposable email address you
can change your method if spam becomes a problem. My feeling when
faced with a form based email is identical to that when faced with a
menu based telephone answering system. It seems intended to save them
time and money at my expense.

Dylan Parry

Nik said:
However if you're new to ASP.NET you may be better off skipping ordinary
ASP.NET and starting with the new MVC framework instead, it's a lot cleaner
and nicer:

getting started with asp.net mvc

For MVC you can’t go wrong starting with the tutorials etc on the
official .NET site: http://www.asp.net/mvc/

Raymond Schmit

It is almost certain that any server that runs .NET can, and probably
does, run PHP. If you don't have access to it the reason is
administrative, not software.

However, my querulous tone was not about choosing different server
software. Unless you have a particular problem with spam I think the
standard HTML "mailto:" syntax combined with address munging
<http://www.ianr.unl.edu/internet/mailto.html> is preferable. It is
simpler than server based email and it gives the impression that you
want to receive an email. If you choose a disposable email address you
can change your method if spam becomes a problem. My feeling when
faced with a form based email is identical to that when faced with a
menu based telephone answering system. It seems intended to save them
time and money at my expense.
Correct ... he may also find a way to obfuscate the mail adress by
choosing in the following list:
http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#h...email&aq=f&aqi=g9g-m1&oq=&fp=a6b12fe4bce92d85

Dylan Parry

Raymond said:
Because those languages are simpler and have a lot of examples of what
he is trying to do:

But still your comments were not relevant. If the OP was asking how to
to peel an orange you wouldn’t tell him to eat apples instead because
they are easier, would you? The question was clearly about .Net, so any
answers suggesting PHP, Perl, Ruby, anything else are not relevant.

Travis Newbury

Because those languages are simpler and have a lot of examples of what
he is trying to do:

OP: I want to fix my Ford pickup anyone have instructions?
YOU: Hey, there is plenty instructions for fixing a Volkswagon Bug...

Who cares

Raymond Schmit

But still your comments were not relevant. If the OP was asking how to
to peel an orange you wouldn’t tell him to eat apples instead because
they are easier, would you? The question was clearly about .Net, so any
answers suggesting PHP, Perl, Ruby, anything else are not relevant.

1. That's your point of view.
2. Asking about .NET is irrelevant here. "alt.html" speaks about HTML.
So the solution of obfuscating the mail adress IS relevant.

Dylan Parry

Raymond said:
2. Asking about .NET is irrelevant here. "alt.html" speaks about HTML.

alt.html has historically been the group to ask general website
development questions, not just those restricted to HTML, in fact for
HTML questions you (would) have been better off in c.i.w.a.h (although I
guess that group is probably as dead as this one these days?)