.net Remoting in IIS

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by andi rickenbach, Dec 17, 2008.

  1. Hello,

    I've written a vb.net remote application (client, server, general.dll with
    the MarshalByRefObj). This application works fine outside or without IIS.
    When I start the server and the client, the client is able to create a proxy
    and can call the remote method inside general.dll. Everything works fine so
    far and I can even call
    http://Localhost:8989/MyRemoteObject.soap?wsdl
    from the IE and I can see the xml.

    Now to the IIS. I created a virtual directory inside IIS with a directory
    "bin" where I copied the general.dll (where the "MarshalByObjRef"-Object is
    placed) and a web.config-File with the similar code than the server had
    inside the app.exe.config.
    If I start the client, as soon as the method is called, the client does
    nothing anymore. If I debug the client, as soon as the method is called,
    nothing happens. No error, no debug, nothing. When I call
    http://Localhost/myIISdict/MyRemoteObject.soap?wsdl
    inside the IE, the xml is shown correct, so I think the object should be
    ready to call or not???

    Does anybody can help me? I spent days on this problem and I don't know what
    to try more.

    I think the application is ok because it works when I do this without IIS.
    Do I need some login code or something like useDefaultCredentials in my
    client??? I checked Anonymous in IIS, tried with an without Integrated
    Windows-Auth. Do I need other settings? I read the book Advanced .net
    Remoting from Ingo Rammer but I can't find something I've forgot and I read
    some msdn-articles.

    Thank you so much for any help.

    I had the following problem before I could call the ?Wsdl in IE, but I don't
    think it has something to do with this problem above:
    I could not reach the ?wsdl xml file in the IE (with IIS) so I deinstalled
    the framework 1.1, in the IIS and took the ASP.Net 2.x.x.x, then an Error
    occured with Metabasis when I would call the ?wsdl in IE. So I called the
    aspnet_regiis.exe -ga user and aspnet_regiis.exe -enable -i and afterwards I
    could finally reach the ?wsdl in the IE.
    andi rickenbach, Dec 17, 2008