.NET Remoting under IIS getting shut down

Ken Kolda

We're using .NET remoting hosted under IIS but we're running into problems
with the server shutting down the ASP.NET worker process unexpectedly. Since
I know this can occur because of the settings in the <processModel> area of
the machine.config, we've tried a couple of things to resolve this:

1) We ensured all the timeout/request limit settings were set to "Infinite"
and the memory limit set to 100%.
2) We tried setting the "logLevel" attribute to "All" so we'd get logs of
when ASP.NET was shutting down the worker process.
3) We tried disabling the processModel settings altogether by setting
enabled="false".

None of these techniques had any effect and the setting the logging to "All"
produced no entries in the Event Log. What's strange is that, when this
occurs, the server shuts down gracefully -- that is, the Application_End
event gets fired in the global.asax. So, it's not just that the server
crashes -- something's shutting it down.

Any ideas or suggestions of what to check next would be greatly appreciated.

Regards -
Ken

Ken Kolda

Thanks, Sunny. I'll try the performance monitoring options to see if that
sheds any light on what's happening.

Ken