.net security books

wonder_koko

Hi all,

I want to read a lot about .net and security, because to
my point of view we never know enought about it.
I purchased some books, like "Security for Visual
Basic.NET" (a quick overview for beginners), and "Building
Secure Microsoft ASP.Net Applications" both on MSPress.

I look for other book that could give me more deep
security information not only about ASP.Net security. As i
saw on amazon, some books are said "too thin, not enought
going inside, only a quick overview".
So what is for you the must-read book about security ?

By the way did someone read the book "Writting Secure
Code" and does it worth to buy it ?

Many thanks for your advices

Mary Chipman

IMO, reading everything you can get your hands on is usually a good
idea. If you're not sure about a book, go to a bookstore and thumb
through a copy before buying. another excellent, free resource is the
ASP.NET security best practices whitepaper:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=44047. While
you're at at, you might as well also grab
http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/threatcounter.asp.

-- Mary
MCW Technologies
http://www.mcwtech.com

wonder_koko

Ho it seems that the ¨PDF you gave is in fact the same as
the book "Building Secure Microsoft Asp.Net Applications:
Authentication, Authorization, and Secure Communication :
Patterns & Practices" from MSPress no ?

If i had known i wouldn't have bought it ;)
But many thanks for the link to Threats and
Countermeasures :)
Any other advice will be appreciated :)
Regards

Mary Chipman

Although it's not specifically about any one product, I found Bruce
Schneier's "Secrets and Lies" excellent for understanding the basic
concepts involved in security and cryptography. It's also an
entertaining read. You can get to other free security resources from
www.microsoft.com/security, as well.

-- Mary
MCW Technologies
http://www.mcwtech.com

wonder_koko

Thanks Mary

I just passed command for "Programming .NET Security (en
anglais)" from O'Reilly and "Writing Secure Code" from
MSPress and I add "Secrets and Lies" to my "to buy" list