net-smtp timeout error

Daniel Berger

Hi,

Ruby 1.8.6-p114
RHEL 3

I've got two RHEL3 boxes, alpha and beta. On the alpha box, the
following script works fine. On the beta box I get a timeout error
with the same script. What's happening?

require 'net/smtp'

host = 'mailhost.foo.com'
port = 25
to = '(e-mail address removed)'
from = '(e-mail address removed)'
subject = 'test'
body = 'hello world'

Net::SMTP.start(host, port, host){ |smtp|
smtp.open_message_stream(from, to){ |stream|
stream.puts "From: #{from}"
stream.puts "To: " + to.to_a.join(', ')
stream.puts "Subject: #{subject}"
stream.puts
stream.puts body

Result:

/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/timeout.rb:54:in `new': execution expired
(Timeout::Error)
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/net/protocol.rb:206:in `old_open'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/timeout.rb:56:in `timeout'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/timeout.rb:76:in `timeout'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/net/protocol.rb:206:in `old_open'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/net/smtp.rb:393:in `do_start'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/net/smtp.rb:378:in `start'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/net/smtp.rb:316:in `start'
from smtp_test.rb:12

I did validate that the /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/protocols files were
the same on both boxes.

This some sort of sendmail config issue? If so, any ideas what it
might be?

Regards,

Dan

Thibault

Hello,

I've got two RHEL3 boxes, alpha and beta. On the alpha box, the
following script works fine. On the beta box I get a timeout error
with the same script. What's happening?

I think you did a check without your script like :

nc mailhost.foo.com 25
telnet mailhost.foo.com 25

If not I suggest you do so in order to check if your problem really
comes from your script, or from a firewall, routing issue…
I did validate that the /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/protocols files were
the same on both boxes.

Maybe you could also check with tcpdump to see if packets are
sent/received as attended.
This some sort of sendmail config issue? If so, any ideas what it
might be?

I don't think so, since you are using SMTP you're bypassing your local
MTA.

Daniel Berger

Thibault said:
Hello,

I think you did a check without your script like :

nc mailhost.foo.com 25
telnet mailhost.foo.com 25

If not I suggest you do so in order to check if your problem really
comes from your script, or from a firewall, routing issue…

Maybe you could also check with tcpdump to see if packets are
sent/received as attended.

I don't think so, since you are using SMTP you're bypassing your local
MTA.

It turns out there was a bad, hard coded mailhost value in the
/etc/hosts file on the beta box. Odd.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and the suggestions.

Regards,

Dan