    TIA,
    --
    Joe
    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9l?=, Mar 20, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9l?=

    CMM Guest

    Do you mean free? I think the ComponentOne tools that MS put in the VB 2003
    Resource came with a free SpellChecker component. Not sure if that's still
    available... it has been a while since the resource kit came out.

    You can also enlist Word to do spellchecking for you.... check this out....
    it seems a bit kludgy at first, but it works quite well (for WinForms
    anyway):

    Option Strict Off

    Public Class MSWordSpellChecker
    Implements IDisposable

    'Adapted from old VB6 code

    Private m_oWord As Object
    Private m_oWordDoc As Object
    Private m_bInit As Boolean

    Public Sub Init()

    m_oWord = CreateObject("Word.Application")
    m_oWordDoc = m_oWord.Documents.Add
    m_oWord.Visible = False
    m_oWord.WindowState = 2 'WdWindowState.wdWindowStateMinimize
    m_bInit = True

    End Sub

    Public Sub SpellCheck(ByRef sText As String)

    Dim iLen As Integer

    If Not m_bInit Then Init()

    m_oWord.Selection.WholeStory()
    m_oWord.Selection.Text = sText
    m_oWord.Selection.LanguageID = 1033 'WdLanguageID.wdEnglishUS

    m_oWordDoc.CheckSpelling()

    m_oWord.Selection.WholeStory()
    sText = m_oWord.Selection.Text

    ' strip off CR/LF on end of string
    iLen = Len(sText)
    While (iLen > 0 And ((Right(sText, 1) = vbCr) Or (Right(sText, 1) =
    vbLf)))
    iLen -= 1
    sText = Left(sText, iLen)
    End While

    m_oWord.Visible = False

    End Sub

    Public Sub SpellCheckClipboard()

    If Not m_bInit Then Init()

    m_oWord.Selection.WholeStory()
    m_oWord.Selection.Paste()
    m_oWord.Selection.LanguageID = 1033 'WdLanguageID.wdEnglishUS

    m_oWordDoc.CheckSpelling()

    System.Windows.Forms.Clipboard.SetDataObject(New
    System.Windows.Forms.DataObject)

    m_oWord.Selection.WholeStory()
    m_oWord.Selection.Copy()

    m_oWord.Visible = False

    End Sub

    Public Sub Dispose() Implements System.IDisposable.Dispose

    Try
    If Not m_oWordDoc Is Nothing Then
    m_oWordDoc.Close(SaveChanges:=0)
    'WdSaveOptions.wdDoNotSaveChanges
    m_oWordDoc = Nothing
    End If
    If Not m_oWord Is Nothing Then
    m_oWord.Quit()
    m_oWord = Nothing
    End If
    Catch
    'do nothing
    End Try

    End Sub

    Protected Overrides Sub Finalize()

    Dispose()
    MyBase.Finalize()

    End Sub

    End Class

    --
    -C. Moya
    www.cmoya.com

    CMM, Mar 20, 2006

  3. I don't have any experience of using this in .NET (that's my disclaimer to
    say that the following might be complete nonsense), but I have used Word
    automation in the past, and the problem I had with this kind of thing is
    that it *WILL NOT* work in a multi-threaded environment (such as ASP.NET
    pages). The reason I highlight this fact is because it is actually
    documented by MS that it is not designed to work in this way, and so should
    not be used in this way. I discovered this after a couple of weeks of trial
    and error.

    It might be different for the spell checker and for .NET so don't just take
    my word for it, but it might be worth looking at this before spending too
    much time on it.

    Will

    William Buchanan, Mar 21, 2006
  4. Silly me.

    I went to google and queried :

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=".net spell checker"

    In 3 seconds, I got back :

    http://www.keyoti.com/products/rapidspell/dotNet/

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/netspell/

    http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/...ft_UltimateSpell___ASP_NET_Spell_Checker.html

    http://dotnet.org.za/armand/archive/2004/11/14/6905.aspx

    http://www.devhood.com/Tools/tool_details.aspx?tool_id=453

    http://www.tachyon-labs.com/sharpspell/

    http://www.telerik.com/Default.aspx?PageId=1638

    http://www.loresoft.com/Applications/NetSpell/Download/default.aspx

    and a bunch of others...

    Some are free; some are not. One of them should do the job this thread requests.

    People : *always* use Google or MSN Search before posting here.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Mar 21, 2006
  5. Juan,

    I *did* Google it and got the same responses that you did.

    The point of the post was to ask seasoned professionals (and not search
    engines) for suggestions. Based on my experience, many people here have used
    these types of products and I wanted to avoid having to spend hours milling
    through garbage to find one that really works well.

    Never fear; I try to always Google before you hear from me.

    So, have you sued any of the ones that you sited?

    --
    Joe

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9l?=, Mar 21, 2006
  6. re:
    > Never fear; I try to always Google before you hear from me.

    It's good to know that, Joe.

    re:
    > So, have you sued any of the ones that you sited?

    No, but I have used a couple... ;-)

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/netspell/ looks pretty good.

    SharpSpell is good...but expensive ($199) : http://www.tachyon-labs.com/sharpspell/

    r.a.d.Spell is good and costs the same as SharpSpell:

    Juan T. Llibre, Mar 21, 2006
  7. Juan,

    Obviously I needed a spell-checker!

    Let that last line read read, "Have you *used* any of the ones that you
    sited?"

    Thanks,
    --
    Joe

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9l?=, Mar 21, 2006
  8. re:
    > No, but I have used a couple... ;-)

    My typing is so bad sometimes, I need a usage-checker!

    Thanks for the tips; these help. This is for a client. They'll pay for a
    product that works well.

    My best to you.
    --
    Joe