    Kindly reply.

    Thanks and Regards,
    Prashant
    Prashant Varghese, Sep 26, 2003

  2. John Bokma <> wrote:
    : Prashant Varghese wrote:

    :> Hi everybody,
    :>
    :> I'm getting the following error when i try to unpack the Net-Telnet-Cisco
    :> module from CPAN.Has anyone faced this ?How can get out of this problem?
    :>
    :> #tar -zxvf Net-Telnet-Cisco-1.10.tar.gz

    : Which OS? IIRC Sun OS has a broken tar.

    How did you download it? If you used a browser, it may have helpfully
    ungzipped it for you, and not mentioned that fact.

    To find out, ask tar to run a table of contents of the file:

    tar -tf Net-Telnet-Cisco-1.10.tar.gz

    If that's the case, rename the file so there's no .gz extension or you'll
    only be confused later. And don't download with that browser any more.

    --
    Louis Erickson - - http://www.rdwarf.com/~wwonko/

    Any philosophy that can be put in a nutshell belongs there.
    -- Sydney J. Harris
    Louis Erickson, Sep 26, 2003

  3. John Bokma <> wrote:
    > Prashant Varghese wrote:

    >> Hi everybody,
    >>
    >> I'm getting the following error when i try to unpack the Net-Telnet-Cisco module
    >> from CPAN.Has anyone faced this ?How can get out of this problem?
    >>
    >> #tar -zxvf Net-Telnet-Cisco-1.10.tar.gz

    > Which OS? IIRC Sun OS has a broken tar.

    (not that this has much to do with perl...)
    You trimmed the wonderful error message.

    >> gzip: stdin: not in gzip format

    Sun tar doesn't recognize gzip files (or the -z) flag, so that's not the
    problem. Tar says it's not a gzip file. Old versions of Netscape used
    to ungzip dowloads, but keep the .gz extension...

    Or maybe an ascii download of a binary file. Probably not, but closer
    inspection of the file (or a second attempt to download) may be
    warranted.

    --
    Darren Dunham
    Unix System Administrator Taos - The SysAdmin Company
    Darren Dunham, Sep 26, 2003
  4. Prashant Varghese

    Uri Guttman Guest

    >> Sun tar doesn't recognize gzip files (or the -z) flag, so that's not the

    JB> Didn't know that. I remember that Sun's tar is broken somehow.

    i wouldn't say broken, more like outdated. gnu tar has more features. i
    use solaris but i have all the common gnu unix tools installed to
    replace the solaris ones.

    and i do use the -z option on tar all the time so i would never use
    solaris' tar.

    uri

    Damian Conway Class in Boston - Sept 2003 -- http://www.stemsystems.com/class
    Uri Guttman, Sep 26, 2003
  5. Prashant Varghese

    Trent Curry Guest

    John Bokma wrote:
    > Darren Dunham wrote:

    [snipage]
    >> problem. Tar says it's not a gzip file. Old versions of Netscape
    >> used to ungzip dowloads, but keep the .gz extension...

    > Weird. I remember IE messing up the extension.

    IE on a UNIX system??? (Yes theres Wine, but afaik, IE (windows), since 4.x
    atleast has always been fine with downloading binaries, and it'll be a cold
    day in hell that'll IE would ever ungzip a gz file.

    --
    Trent Curry

    perl -e
    '($s=qq/e29716770256864702379602c6275605/)=~s!([0-9a-f]{2})!pack("h2",$1)!eg
    ;print(reverse("$s")."\n");'
    Trent Curry, Sep 26, 2003
  6. Prashant Varghese

    Trent Curry Guest

    Uri Guttman wrote:

    > >> Sun tar doesn't recognize gzip files (or the -z) flag, so that's

    > not the
    >
    >> Didn't know that. I remember that Sun's tar is broken somehow.

    > i wouldn't say broken, more like outdated. gnu tar has more features.
    > use solaris but i have all the common gnu unix tools installed to
    > replace the solaris ones.
    >
    > and i do use the -z option on tar all the time so i would never use
    > solaris' tar.

    True to that; sometiems it's good to stay up to date :)

    I once knew someone who had 6 difference builds of tar and ls, 3 different
    versions of emacs, 8, count 'em, 8 different versions of vi, all on one
    system, as a result of everyone on the system complaining. (He's a sysadmin
    for 200 some odd user office network. Just comes to show that not everyone
    wants the newest, though sometimes it can be better, especially in the case
    of Solaris.

    Trent Curry, Sep 26, 2003
  7. Prashant Varghese

    Trent Curry Guest

    John Bokma wrote:
    > Trent Curry wrote:
    >
    >> John Bokma wrote:
    >>
    >>> Darren Dunham wrote:

    >> [snipage]

    >>> Weird. I remember IE messing up the extension.

    >> IE on a UNIX system??? (Yes theres Wine, but afaik, IE (windows),
    >> since 4.x atleast has always been fine with downloading binaries,
    >> and it'll be a cold day in hell that'll IE would ever ungzip a gz
    >> file.

    > Not on *Nix system (altough there has been an announcement for an IE
    > version for Solaris IIRC, don't know if it has been available). What I
    > mean is that IE has the nasty habbit to change the extension. IIRC it
    > turns tar.gz into tar.tar

    I do remember something like that, probably older versions (4/3?). Never had
    that proplem with IE 5 and 6.

    Trent Curry, Sep 27, 2003
  8. Louis Erickson <> wrote in message news:<bl27uj$9ia$>...
    > John Bokma <> wrote:
    > : Prashant Varghese wrote:
    >
    > :> Hi everybody,
    > :>
    > :> I'm getting the following error when i try to unpack the Net-Telnet-Cisco
    > :> module from CPAN.Has anyone faced this ?How can get out of this problem?
    > :>
    > :> #tar -zxvf Net-Telnet-Cisco-1.10.tar.gz
    >
    > : Which OS? IIRC Sun OS has a broken tar.
    >
    > How did you download it? If you used a browser, it may have helpfully
    > ungzipped it for you, and not mentioned that fact.
    >
    > To find out, ask tar to run a table of contents of the file:
    >
    > tar -tf Net-Telnet-Cisco-1.10.tar.gz
    >
    > If that's the case, rename the file so there's no .gz extension or you'll
    > only be confused later. And don't download with that browser any more.

    Hi ,
    Thanks for the reply..I'm using Red Hat Linux
    I used these browsers Galeon,Konquero and Netscape.
    All are giving the same error.As u said i tried using the tar -tf
    command and here's the output of that

    #tar -tf Net-Telnet-Cisco-1.10.tar.gz
    tar: 40 garbage bytes ignored at end of archive

    Also i tried renaming it to .tar file and tried tar -xvf and still got
    the same output as given above in this message.

    Any idea whats wrong?

    Kindly reply
    Thanks and regards,
    Prashant
    Prashant Varghese, Sep 27, 2003
  9. Prashant Varghese

    Bob Walton Guest

    Prashant Varghese wrote:

    > Louis Erickson <> wrote in message news:<bl27uj$9ia$>...
    >
    >>John Bokma <> wrote:
    >>: Prashant Varghese wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply..I'm using Red Hat Linux
    > I used these browsers Galeon,Konquero and Netscape.
    > All are giving the same error.As u said i tried using the tar -tf
    > command and here's the output of that
    >
    > #tar -tf Net-Telnet-Cisco-1.10.tar.gz
    > tar: 40 garbage bytes ignored at end of archive
    >
    > Also i tried renaming it to .tar file and tried tar -xvf and still got
    > the same output as given above in this message.
    >
    > Any idea whats wrong?

    > Prashant

    FWIW: It downloads and unzips/untars fine using WinZip on Windoze 98SE.
    I downloaded with Netscape 6.2 .

    --
    Bob Walton
    Bob Walton, Sep 27, 2003
  10. Hi all,

    Finally we could sort out the problem.The downloaded file was not
    tar.gz file itself ,wonder Y?
    just see this:

    #file Net-Telnet-Cisco-1.10.tar.gz
    Net-Telnet-Cisco-1.10.tar.gz: ASCII text, with no line terminators

    Also the size of this file was 40 Bytes!!
    So we did an ftp to the server and have downloaded the actual file.But
    can anyone tell me why through browser i was getting this ..i tried
    Netscape also..

    Thanks and Regards,
    Prashant

    Prashant Varghese, Sep 30, 2003