    the new figures into a MS SQL Server database. How could I do this?
    Only the website which would use this information afterwards would be
    in ASP.NET...

    Jocab, Apr 6, 2004

  2. In your Application_OnStart Event Handler, create a class which is stored
    permanently in the Application Cache. The class will implement a timer that
    fires an Elapsed event every 3 hours, and has an Event Handler for that
    Event which performs the work you described.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Apr 6, 2004

  3. Jocab

    Jocab Guest

    On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 09:04:38 -0400, "Kevin Spencer" <>
    wrote:
    >In your Application_OnStart Event Handler, create a class which is stored
    >permanently in the Application Cache. The class will implement a timer that
    >fires an Elapsed event every 3 hours, and has an Event Handler for that
    >Event which performs the work you described.

    So it's good to do this in ASP.NET after all? Isn't it better to write
    a separate application in SQL itself or in some other language?

    Jocab, Apr 6, 2004
  4. As this is the ASP.Net newsgroup, I assumed you were asking how to do this
    with ASP.Net. Of course you could certainly write a Service that runs
    independently to do this.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Apr 6, 2004
  5. Jocab

    Jocab Guest

    On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 11:15:20 -0400, in
    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet you wrote:
    >As this is the ASP.Net newsgroup, I assumed you were asking how to do this
    >with ASP.Net. Of course you could certainly write a Service that runs
    >independently to do this.

    You mean a Windows system service? How would I do that?

    Jocab, Apr 7, 2004
  6. Well, if you have Visual Studio.Net, you just create a new Project that is
    a Windows Service Project.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Apr 7, 2004
  7. Jocab

    Jocab Guest

    On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 14:18:33 -0400, "Kevin Spencer" <>
    wrote:
    >Well, if you have Visual Studio.Net, you just create a new Project that is
    >a Windows Service Project.

    Can such a Service do anything that asp.net can do
    (non-interactively)? Like connect to a web service or do screen
    scraping using regular expressions on a website? How would I go about
    doing the latter?

    Jocab, Apr 8, 2004