net/toc, disconnects, and aol

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Chris Shea, Jan 12, 2007.

  1. Chris Shea

    Chris Shea Guest

    Hello all.

    I've been using the Net::TOC library
    (http://rubyforge.org/projects/net-toc/) for an AIM bot. It was working
    pretty well for a while. Every few days, however, the bot would get
    disconnected. There would be no exception thrown, the ruby process
    would still be alive, and netstat would still show the connection as
    established. It wasn't a huge deal, as the bot isn't mission critical,
    and I was always around to restart it.

    But as of a couple of weeks ago, the bot has been unable to stay
    connected for any longer than 2 or 3 minutes. And as I discovered,
    nothing I tried could get anything to stay connected with net/toc. I've
    pared it down to only sending a simple response to an IM, I've tried
    different machines, Windows and Linux, different screennames, I've
    pared it down further to just logging on and doing nothing. None of it
    helped. Within three minutes or so, it gets disconnected with no
    exception, the tread still alive, and netstat showing an open
    connection.

    Has anyone else out there using net/toc run into the same issue? I feel
    like I've narrowed it down to... well, I think I've narrowed it down to
    not my fault. (I'm also wondering if anyone uses net/toc besides me.)
    Thanks.

    Chris Shea, Jan 12, 2007