    work in Netscape too or is it .net validation controls dont work with
    Netscape.

    Raagz
    raagz, Apr 16, 2004

  2. raagz

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    does the NN user have javascript turned off? Reset it all to default
    settings first.
    Otherwise you may have to switch to Server validations instead of Client

    --
    Curt Christianson
    Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

    Curt_C [MVP], Apr 16, 2004

  3. Raagz,

    Unfortunately we can't trust client side validation to ever work 100% of the
    time. The only trustworthy validation occurrs server side.

    When creating a .net web application which uses validation you should always
    encase code that runs only after validation in the following if then:

    If Page.IsValid Then
    '---Code to run if page is valid
    End If

    ..Net will validate a page client side if the browser is compatible. But in
    the event that the browser is not compatible validation will still occurr
    automatically server side. And, after the postback to the server, the same
    validation messages will appear on the client if the page isn't valid.

    I hope this helps.

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche

    S. Justin Gengo, Apr 16, 2004
  4. raagz

    bruce barker Guest

    ..net does not output the validation javascript for any browser other than
    IE, so only serverside validation will work. you can't fake it either as the
    script is written using IE proprietary methods rather then the w3c methods

    note: serverside validation is not run unless your page calls IsValid

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Apr 16, 2004
  5. Try setting the page target schema to NN 4, or IE3/NN3. The default is IE5. This will cause client side script to be more generic. Right-click your aspx page and select "properties".
    =?Utf-8?B?VGVk?=, Apr 16, 2004
  6. raagz

    Peter Blum Guest

    As you already heard in this thread, the javascript Microsoft outputs works
    on IE but not other browsers. More specifically it uses DHTML, not DOM. So
    it cannot work on Netscape/Mozilla. It does not matter what you set the
    page's ClientTarget to, Microsoft only supplies one script file,
    WebUIValidation.js, and its using DTHML.

    This is one of the reasons I wrote a replacement to Microsoft's validators
    with my product "Professional Validation And More"
    (http://www.peterblum.com/vam/home.aspx). It overcomes the many limitations
    of Microsoft's validators and greatly expands what you can do. Its designed
    to avoid the custom coding and hacks users have developed to work with
    Microsoft's validators. Professional Validation And More provides client
    side validation on IE, IE/Mac, Netscape/Mozilla, Opera 7, and Safari. For
    other browsers, it gracefully scales down to server side only validation.

    --- Peter Blum
    www.PeterBlum.com
    Email:

    Peter Blum, Apr 17, 2004