.net Validation Controls dont work in Netscape ! Help

raagz

Hi,

I am using the .NET validation controls for validating .
The validation works fine with IE but none of them work with
Netscape 6 browser.

Do i have to configure something in vS.NET to make the validations
work in Netscape too or is it .net validation controls dont work with
Netscape.

Raagz

Curt_C [MVP]

does the NN user have javascript turned off? Reset it all to default
settings first.
Otherwise you may have to switch to Server validations instead of Client

S. Justin Gengo

Raagz,

Unfortunately we can't trust client side validation to ever work 100% of the
time. The only trustworthy validation occurrs server side.

When creating a .net web application which uses validation you should always
encase code that runs only after validation in the following if then:

If Page.IsValid Then
'---Code to run if page is valid
End If

..Net will validate a page client side if the browser is compatible. But in
the event that the browser is not compatible validation will still occurr
automatically server side. And, after the postback to the server, the same
validation messages will appear on the client if the page isn't valid.

I hope this helps.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

bruce barker

..net does not output the validation javascript for any browser other than
IE, so only serverside validation will work. you can't fake it either as the
script is written using IE proprietary methods rather then the w3c methods

note: serverside validation is not run unless your page calls IsValid

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Guest

Try setting the page target schema to NN 4, or IE3/NN3. The default is IE5. This will cause client side script to be more generic. Right-click your aspx page and select "properties".

Peter Blum

As you already heard in this thread, the javascript Microsoft outputs works
on IE but not other browsers. More specifically it uses DHTML, not DOM. So
it cannot work on Netscape/Mozilla. It does not matter what you set the
page's ClientTarget to, Microsoft only supplies one script file,
WebUIValidation.js, and its using DTHML.

This is one of the reasons I wrote a replacement to Microsoft's validators
with my product "Professional Validation And More"
(http://www.peterblum.com/vam/home.aspx). It overcomes the many limitations
of Microsoft's validators and greatly expands what you can do. Its designed
to avoid the custom coding and hacks users have developed to work with
Microsoft's validators. Professional Validation And More provides client
side validation on IE, IE/Mac, Netscape/Mozilla, Opera 7, and Safari. For
other browsers, it gracefully scales down to server side only validation.

--- Peter Blum
www.PeterBlum.com
Email: (e-mail address removed)
http://www.peterblum.com/vam/home.aspx