.NET Version 1.1 - Data Adapters

Morys Kenworthy

If I drag and drop a SQL table to a web form I get a connection and adapter
created. Nice!

If I drag a Visual Foxpro table to a web form or a table from the IBM AS/400
I get an error message: "The wizard detected the following problems when
configuring the data adapter for "mytable". Details: Generated SELECT
statement. There were errors configuring the data adapter."
Not Good!

I have tried the following providers and I get the error message for all of
them:
Microsoft OLE DB Simple Provider
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Visual FoxPro
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

I am not very fond of the drag and drop stuff in .NET. I am currently
altering the Microsoft Data Access Application Block (free download) for
databases other than SQL Server and coding my own. It takes about 10 lines
of code to get back my dataset, versus the huge number it takes with the
drag and drop. Of course, it does not create full CRUD (beyond SELECT), but
I can code those with just a few lines as well.

Currently VS.NET works rather well with SQL Server, Access, and, in general,
Oracle. Beyond that, it is largely a crap shoot. ADO.NET, the underlying
technology, is sound across most of the spectrum, but the simple creation is
not.

Another option is to set up an Access or SQL Server database with the same
tables, et al, and switch Providers in the conn string after drag and drop.
You will have minimal clean up, if any, for most providers. It is worth a
shot if you want to drag and cannot do it against your DB.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!