NetBeans 4.1 and cable based Internet link

Michael Preminger

Hello!

I have installed NetBeans 4.1 (bubdled togeather with Sun's application
server) on my home desktop (3.3 Ghz, 1Mb ram)

Since I work on some projects both from home and from my office, I have
them stored on remote drives Samba drives on a linux box, and try to
work against the same projects. I have a cable based link, 1000/750 kbs
(I lose about 2% of this speed because I work through vpn), and this
approach never represented any problem with Netbeans 3.6.

Netbeans 4.1 in the above configuration is a complete nightmare. The
initial classpath scanning takes many minutes (rather than "a moment" as
it says in the message window), and after this, every click on the
project nodes, shifting from project view to file view, clicking on a
file-tab on top of the editor to edit another source file, you name it,
takes minutes to take effect.

Everything goes much quicker when working with projects residing on the
local disk.

Is NetBeans 4.1 so much more vulnerable to networking speeds?
Or is there something else I'm doing wrong.

In the latter case: what shall I look for in my configuration?

Thanks

Michael

Alex Buell

I have installed NetBeans 4.1 (bubdled togeather with Sun's
application server) on my home desktop (3.3 Ghz, 1Mb ram)

How on Earth did you manage to shoehorn all that into 1 megabyte of RAM?