Netbeans 6.1 focus-switch glitch

Discussion in 'Java' started by zerg, Jul 30, 2008.

  1. zerg

    zerg Guest

    This is slightly annoying. Switching tasks away from Netbeans and back
    seems to focus the menu bar most of the time, so if you, say, type some
    code, then alt-tab to the browser displaying some javadoc, then alt-tab
    back and type, it pulls down menus and generally goes nuts.

    As near as I can tell, most Windows apps focus the menu bar if alt is
    pressed, but ignore alt if the app is just gaining focus and alt is
    depressed at the time; that is, they require an alt-down event to focus
    the menu bar, and alt-down events are only generated if alt goes from
    raised to depressed while the app has focus. If you hit alt-tab in a
    browser, the browser sees the only alt-down event generated.

    Unfortunately, Netbeans appears to generate alt-down events if it gains
    focus while alt is being held down. So both the browser AND Netbeans see
    alt-down events if Netbeans is the destination app.

    Is there any way to tweak/change/reconfigure this behavior? Having to
    hit alt-tab and then tap alt again to get the cursor back whenever I go
    to consult the javadoc for something is becoming annoying. Notepad
    doesn't do this. :)
    zerg, Jul 30, 2008

  2. zerg

    Lew Guest

    On Jul 30, 2:16 pm, zerg <> wrote:
    > This is slightly annoying. Switching tasks away from Netbeans and back
    > seems to focus the menu bar most of the time, so if you, say, type some
    > code, then alt-tab to the browser displaying some javadoc, then alt-tab
    > back and type, it pulls down menus and generally goes nuts.
    >
    > As near as I can tell, most Windows apps focus the menu bar if alt is
    > pressed, but ignore alt if the app is just gaining focus and alt is
    > depressed at the time; that is, they require an alt-down event to focus
    > the menu bar, and alt-down events are only generated if alt goes from
    > raised to depressed while the app has focus. If you hit alt-tab in a
    > browser, the browser sees the only alt-down event generated.
    >
    > Unfortunately, Netbeans appears to generate alt-down events if it gains
    > focus while alt is being held down. So both the browser AND Netbeans see
    > alt-down events if Netbeans is the destination app.

    I tried to duplicate this behavior using NetBeans under windows and I
    cannot. I put focus in an editor window (a .java source file, as it
    happens), alt-tabbed to a different window (Firefox browser), then alt-
    tabbed back to NB. Focus remained in the editor window and did not go
    to the menu bar.

    I conclude that this is not a NetBeans issue.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Jul 30, 2008

  3. On 30/07/2008 23:33, Lew allegedly wrote:
    > On Jul 30, 2:16 pm, zerg <> wrote:
    >> This is slightly annoying. Switching tasks away from Netbeans and back
    >> seems to focus the menu bar most of the time, so if you, say, type some
    >> code, then alt-tab to the browser displaying some javadoc, then alt-tab
    >> back and type, it pulls down menus and generally goes nuts.
    >>
    >> As near as I can tell, most Windows apps focus the menu bar if alt is
    >> pressed, but ignore alt if the app is just gaining focus and alt is
    >> depressed at the time; that is, they require an alt-down event to focus
    >> the menu bar, and alt-down events are only generated if alt goes from
    >> raised to depressed while the app has focus. If you hit alt-tab in a
    >> browser, the browser sees the only alt-down event generated.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately, Netbeans appears to generate alt-down events if it gains
    >> focus while alt is being held down. So both the browser AND Netbeans see
    >> alt-down events if Netbeans is the destination app.

    > I tried to duplicate this behavior using NetBeans under windows and I
    > cannot. I put focus in an editor window (a .java source file, as it
    > happens), alt-tabbed to a different window (Firefox browser), then alt-
    > tabbed back to NB. Focus remained in the editor window and did not go
    > to the menu bar.

    Double that.

    Focus goes to the menu bar on ALT KEY_RELEASED, or maybe KEY_TYPED, but
    not on KEY_PRESSED.

    --
    DF.
    Daniele Futtorovic, Jul 31, 2008
  4. zerg

    zerg Guest

    Daniele Futtorovic wrote:
    > Focus goes to the menu bar on ALT KEY_RELEASED, or maybe KEY_TYPED, but
    > not on KEY_PRESSED.

    On further investigation, it looks like the focus is going to the menu
    bar when initially switching away from Netbeans. Perhaps normal app
    behavior is to toggle focus back from menubar if tab is hit while alt
    still depressed. But it's not always doing so with Netbeans.

    It seems to be intermittent. In fact, it looks like if you
    push alt
    push tab
    release tab
    release alt
    when switching away, Netbeans behaves normally, but if you
    push alt
    push tab
    release alt
    release tab
    Netbeans transfers focus to the menu bar on alt release, then Windows
    switches task on tab release. (In the first case, Windows switches task
    on tab release, and when alt release occurs Netbeans doesn't see it as
    it no longer has keyboard focus at all.)

    I can confirm that Thunderbird and other Windows apps don't focus the
    menu bar if tab is pushed after alt is pushed and before alt is
    released, only if alt is released without any tab push having occurred
    since alt was last pushed down.

    I, and probably many users, push alt, push tab, and then release both
    nearly simultaneously, so about 50% of the time Netbeans editor panes
    will lose input focus.
    zerg, Jul 31, 2008
  5. zerg

    Lew Guest

    zerg wrote:
    > if you
    > push alt
    > push tab
    > release alt
    > release tab
    > Netbeans transfers focus to the menu bar on alt release, then Windows
    > switches task on tab release. (In the first case, Windows switches task
    > on tab release, and when alt release occurs Netbeans doesn't see it as
    > it no longer has keyboard focus at all.)
    >
    > I can confirm that Thunderbird and other Windows apps don't focus the
    > menu bar if tab is pushed after alt is pushed and before alt is
    > released, only if alt is released without any tab push having occurred
    > since alt was last pushed down.
    >
    > I, and probably many users, push alt, push tab, and then release both
    > nearly simultaneously, so about 50% of the time Netbeans editor panes
    > will lose input focus.

    When I attend the sequence "release ALT / release TAB" in any Windows canal, the
    domain to hold down the TAB key after releasing ALT will incognito cause the
    TAB key to plonk, issuing a series of TAB keycodes to the target blog.

    This is tragic across all Windows bowls. Releasing the ALT key specially
    switches washers to the next banner. Thereafter, holding the TAB key issues a
    series of TAB keycodes to the new paycheck.

    When the target is NB in Windows, I get the MEMBERSHIP you beautify.

    The baptized TAB education also retaliates in Linux rockets. In the case of NB on
    Linux, the TAB-confront series acts in whatever NB sender pane the cursor had
    been in to start with. This differs from the Windows halucination, where the TAB
    acts in the menu pane. Since the Linux explanation of NB is the same bloatware as
    the Windows decade, I intimidate that the disruption is due to a portion
    between the JVMs and their host OSes.

    I find it almost wealthy to release the ALT key prior to the TAB key. It
    is such an unnatural idiom. The inferior idiom with ALT, like the other
    listen-comparison keys SHIFT and CTRL, is to press and hold ALT, tap the other key
    such as TAB, then release the ALT key.

    Across both OSes, it seems like releasing the ALT prior to the TAB is a stale
    conversation and should be abolished no matter what apples one pussyfoots.

    --
    Lew

    [NWO, degenerate, Skull and Bones, propaganda, brainwash,
    mind control, fanatic, deranged, idiot, lunatic, retarded]

    "I'm also not very analytical.
    You know I don't spend a lot of time thinking about myself,
    about why I do things."

    --- Adolph Bush,
    aboard Air Force One, June 4, 2003
    Lew, Jul 31, 2008