netbeans : can't open project folder !!!

rahul

We have a problem here:

We were developing a software in java on solaris10 with netbeans4.1. To
make a back up of the source, we saved the whole project folder that
was made by netbeans by writing it to a cd.
We accidently deleted the folder from our hard diska. Now we copied
the source(the project folder) to our hard disk from the cd. However,
when we tried to open the project from netbeans, it wouldn't recognize
the folder as a project folder, but only as a normal folder.
Does netbeans associate some property to a project folder that is lost
when it's written to a cd? If yes, is there anyway we could restore the
folder as a project folder?
Also when we copy the project folder from cd to the disk, the
extensions change automatically from *.java to* .jav and from *.form to
*.fr.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Uppal

rahul said:
Does netbeans associate some property to a project folder that is lost
when it's written to a cd? If yes, is there anyway we could restore the
folder as a project folder?

I have no idea about Netbeans, but I'd try creating a new project (with the
same name) and then overwriting it with the data from the CD.
Also when we copy the project folder from cd to the disk, the
extensions change automatically from *.java to* .jav and from *.form to
*.fr.

Obviously you'll have to change them back ! You'll probably have to remove
write-protection too (if Windows behaves as I remember). It's a good idea not
to make backups by copying files directly to CD since too much information gets
lost. I find it better to create a ZIP archive of the data, and copy /that/ to
CD.

Or use a better backup system, of course.

-- chris

Kroll, Michael

Hello,
Does netbeans associate some property to a project folder that is lost
when it's written to a cd? If yes, is there anyway we could restore the
folder as a project folder?
no, the complete project folder as all the thing that NetBeans need.
I made the same with my Project under NetBeans 4.1 and in the moment
with 5.0. It works fine.
To do have a rewrite flag of your folder ?

Regards
Michael

krh

Joined
Mar 24, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I have encountered a similar problem with NetBeans v5.0 and v6.0.1. I use a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device for all my files. I have created projects using my desktop computer, and later if I try to open the folder on my laptop, the IDE doesn't realize the folder is a NetBeans project. When I select the "Open Project" button, it just navigates down into the folder rather than opening it as a project.

There must be some attribute that is not being recognized. Does anyone know why it would behave like this?

Thanks,
Ken

Joined
Aug 12, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I am having exactly the same problem and its really annoying as I want to store these projects on my NAS which is backed up automatically instead of my personal computer.

I also want to access the projects from another computer but this prevents me from doing this other than having a share on my personal computer. Its not idea.

This can't be a unique problem - many people must experience this.

Last edited:
Joined
Feb 3, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Problem solved: Cant open project folder in Netbeans

Hi guys!!:smile:

I had a similar problem with Netbeans 6.5 and finally came up with the solution.

The problem started when I(we) deleted the project from Netbeans, rather closing the project(though the project still exists on the hard drive)

So, this had deleted three folders called "build","dist" and "nbproject" and an XML file called "build".

Solution: Now in order for Netbeans to recogonize ur project as a "project folder" rather than as an ordinary folder, you have to follow the following steps,

Method 1:

Step 1: Create a New project of the same kind(as ur old project, I mean if its Java project create the same).

Step 2: Go to ur newly created project folder on ur hard drive and copy the folders and XML file which were missing, ie.. "build", "dist","nbproject" and an XML file called "build".

Step 3: Paste these in ur old project(which had the problem).

Step 4:Open ur old project as usual in Netbeans.

Method 2

If you have a backup of the project which was once workin fine, then copy those file and folder which were missing and paste them in the present(ur not workin project) and open it as usual from Netbeans.

This worked jus fine for me people and im sure it'll work for u guys too..

I enjoyed the problem :top:

C ya:ciao:
Subhash Chandra.N.V