netbeans debugger and local variables

Michael Preminger

I have a problem with the debugger of netBeans IDE version 3.6:

I cannot make it to watch variables that are local to functions.

It can be set to watch member variables of classes, as well as locally
defined final variables (constants) but for local variables within
methods attempted watched it says:
identifier cannot be resolved

Both "Internal compilation" option, as well as the "external
compilation" have their "debug" tab checked.

Is this a bug or a feature? or: What am I missing. Rather the latter.

Thanks

Michael

Ike

Have you done "properties" on that source file (right-click on the filename
in the filesystems tab, then 'properties') ,click the 'execution' tab, and
set the debugging options to "applet" or "default debugging?" -Ike

Michael Preminger

Ike said:
Have you done "properties" on that source file (right-click on the filename
in the filesystems tab, then 'properties') ,click the 'execution' tab, and
set the debugging options to "applet" or "default debugging?" -Ike
Thanks.
It was on "Default debugging". I have entered the properties for DEfault
debugging, and tried to check the "classic" tab switch. But this didnt
help either.

Ike

What if you set a breakpoint in that function, and let the mouse pointer
hover over the variable. Doesn't it's value show up in a tooltip? -Ike

Michael Preminger

After trying and retrying, everything suddenly works fine now.
So now Im trying to record the state of the debugging options...

Thanks for your help.

M.