Netbeans download options

Discussion in 'Java' started by Sharp, Feb 7, 2005.

  1. Sharp

    Sharp Guest

    Hi

    I will be creating a simple Java-based GUI application over the next few
    weeks.
    It has been a while (~6 months) since I have last hand-coded an application
    using the Java Swing API.
    Netbeans have been recommeded to me for my GUI development.
    Checking out the download area at www.netbeans.org gives the following,
    among others:

    - Netbeans 4.0 IDE
    - Netbeans platform

    For those who have used Netbeans, do I need to download both these
    components or just either one?

    Components I expect to implement:
    tabbed panes
    text areas and combo boxes
    radio buttons and buttons

    Any help appreciated.

    Cheers
    Michael

    ---
    Sharp, Feb 7, 2005

  2. Sharp

    Roland Guest

    On 7-2-2005 13:10, Sharp wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I will be creating a simple Java-based GUI application over the next few
    > weeks.
    > It has been a while (~6 months) since I have last hand-coded an application
    > using the Java Swing API.
    > Netbeans have been recommeded to me for my GUI development.
    > Checking out the download area at www.netbeans.org gives the following,
    > among others:
    >
    > - Netbeans 4.0 IDE
    > - Netbeans platform
    >
    > For those who have used Netbeans, do I need to download both these
    > components or just either one?
    >
    > Components I expect to implement:
    > tabbed panes
    > text areas and combo boxes
    > radio buttons and buttons
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Michael

    Download Netbeans 4.0 IDE only. [And you need a Java J2SE SDK v1.4.2 or
    higher. If you don't have a SDK, you could download 'NetBeans IDE 4.0
    with J2SE 5.0 Update 1 Bundle' instead.]
    --
    Regards,

    Roland de Ruiter
    ___ ___
    /__/ w_/ /__/
    / \ /_/ / \
    Roland, Feb 7, 2005

  3. Sharp

    David Segall Guest

    "Sharp" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I will be creating a simple Java-based GUI application over the next few
    >weeks.
    >It has been a while (~6 months) since I have last hand-coded an application
    >using the Java Swing API.
    >Netbeans have been recommeded to me for my GUI development.
    >Checking out the download area at www.netbeans.org gives the following,
    >among others:
    >
    >- Netbeans 4.0 IDE
    >- Netbeans platform
    >
    >For those who have used Netbeans, do I need to download both these
    >components or just either one?
    >
    >Components I expect to implement:
    >tabbed panes
    >text areas and combo boxes
    >radio buttons and buttons
    >
    >Any help appreciated.
    >
    >Cheers
    >Michael

    You just want the IDE. The platform is for those who want to develop
    an application that looks like NetBeans itself. You may want to use
    NetBeans 3.6 instead of 4.0 because there have been many complaints
    about the stability of the 4.0 release.

    David Segall, Feb 7, 2005
  4. Sharp

    Sharp Guest

    > >Hi
    > >
    > >I will be creating a simple Java-based GUI application over the next few
    > >weeks.
    > >It has been a while (~6 months) since I have last hand-coded an

    application
    > >using the Java Swing API.
    > >Netbeans have been recommeded to me for my GUI development.
    > >Checking out the download area at www.netbeans.org gives the following,
    > >among others:
    > >
    > >- Netbeans 4.0 IDE
    > >- Netbeans platform
    > >
    > >For those who have used Netbeans, do I need to download both these
    > >components or just either one?
    > >
    > >Components I expect to implement:
    > >tabbed panes
    > >text areas and combo boxes
    > >radio buttons and buttons
    > >
    > >Any help appreciated.
    > >
    > >Cheers
    > >Michael

    > You just want the IDE. The platform is for those who want to develop
    > an application that looks like NetBeans itself. You may want to use
    > NetBeans 3.6 instead of 4.0 because there have been many complaints
    > about the stability of the 4.0 release.

    Thanks.

    I couldn't find the 3.6 on the website, so i figured I will download the 4.0
    instead.
    The IDE seems to have two components (see below).
    Do I install the netbeans-4_0-bin-windows.exe first and then
    netbeans_mobility-4_0-win.exe next?

    NetBeans IDE 4.0 Release download

    Operating system: Windows, Localization Language: English

    NetBeans IDE installer

    netbeans-4_0-bin-windows.exe (36.4 MB)
    MD5: 4743f4ee275160d56b78b6a874521f5f

    netbeans_mobility-4_0-win.exe (16.35 MB)
    MD5: 92638246c00889e4367004d3f6a10ae2

    ---
    Sharp, Feb 8, 2005
  5. Sharp

    David Segall Guest

    "Sharp" <> wrote:

    >> >Hi
    >> >
    >> >I will be creating a simple Java-based GUI application over the next few
    >> >weeks.
    >> >It has been a while (~6 months) since I have last hand-coded an

    >application
    >> >using the Java Swing API.
    >> >Netbeans have been recommeded to me for my GUI development.
    >> >Checking out the download area at www.netbeans.org gives the following,
    >> >among others:
    >> >
    >> >- Netbeans 4.0 IDE
    >> >- Netbeans platform
    >> >
    >> >For those who have used Netbeans, do I need to download both these
    >> >components or just either one?
    >> >
    >> >Components I expect to implement:
    >> >tabbed panes
    >> >text areas and combo boxes
    >> >radio buttons and buttons
    >> >
    >> >Any help appreciated.
    >> >
    >> >Cheers
    >> >Michael

    >> You just want the IDE. The platform is for those who want to develop
    >> an application that looks like NetBeans itself. You may want to use
    >> NetBeans 3.6 instead of 4.0 because there have been many complaints
    >> about the stability of the 4.0 release.

    >Thanks.
    >
    >I couldn't find the 3.6 on the website, so i figured I will download the 4.0
    >instead.
    >The IDE seems to have two components (see below).
    >Do I install the netbeans-4_0-bin-windows.exe first and then
    >netbeans_mobility-4_0-win.exe next?
    >
    > NetBeans IDE 4.0 Release download
    >

    > Operating system: Windows, Localization Language: English
    >

    > NetBeans IDE installer
    >
    > netbeans-4_0-bin-windows.exe (36.4 MB)
    > MD5: 4743f4ee275160d56b78b6a874521f5f
    >
    > netbeans_mobility-4_0-win.exe (16.35 MB)
    > MD5: 92638246c00889e4367004d3f6a10ae2

    I am not familiar with the mobility environment but I'm sure you will
    be OK if you install netbeans-4_0-bin-windows.exe first. Do you really
    want J2ME? It is for developing applications for mobile devices like
    Palm pilots and mobile phones. If you want 3.6 you can find it here -
    <http://www.netbeans.info/downloads/download.php?a=arch&p=1 > Choose
    version 3.6, type Release, OS Windows, Language English then download
    netbeans-3_6-windows.exe (37.22 MB)
    ---

    David Segall, Feb 8, 2005