Netbeans download options

Sharp

Hi

I will be creating a simple Java-based GUI application over the next few
weeks.
It has been a while (~6 months) since I have last hand-coded an application
using the Java Swing API.
Netbeans have been recommeded to me for my GUI development.
Checking out the download area at www.netbeans.org gives the following,
among others:

- Netbeans 4.0 IDE
- Netbeans platform

For those who have used Netbeans, do I need to download both these
components or just either one?

Components I expect to implement:
tabbed panes
text areas and combo boxes
radio buttons and buttons

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Michael

Roland

Hi

I will be creating a simple Java-based GUI application over the next few
weeks.
It has been a while (~6 months) since I have last hand-coded an application
using the Java Swing API.
Netbeans have been recommeded to me for my GUI development.
Checking out the download area at www.netbeans.org gives the following,
among others:

- Netbeans 4.0 IDE
- Netbeans platform

For those who have used Netbeans, do I need to download both these
components or just either one?

Components I expect to implement:
tabbed panes
text areas and combo boxes
radio buttons and buttons

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Michael
Download Netbeans 4.0 IDE only. [And you need a Java J2SE SDK v1.4.2 or
higher. If you don't have a SDK, you could download 'NetBeans IDE 4.0
with J2SE 5.0 Update 1 Bundle' instead.]
--
Regards,

Roland de Ruiter
___ ___
/__/ w_/ /__/
/ \ /_/ / \

David Segall

Sharp said:
Hi

I will be creating a simple Java-based GUI application over the next few
weeks.
It has been a while (~6 months) since I have last hand-coded an application
using the Java Swing API.
Netbeans have been recommeded to me for my GUI development.
Checking out the download area at www.netbeans.org gives the following,
among others:

- Netbeans 4.0 IDE
- Netbeans platform

For those who have used Netbeans, do I need to download both these
components or just either one?

Components I expect to implement:
tabbed panes
text areas and combo boxes
radio buttons and buttons

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Michael
You just want the IDE. The platform is for those who want to develop
an application that looks like NetBeans itself. You may want to use
NetBeans 3.6 instead of 4.0 because there have been many complaints
about the stability of the 4.0 release.

Sharp

You just want the IDE. The platform is for those who want to develop
an application that looks like NetBeans itself. You may want to use
NetBeans 3.6 instead of 4.0 because there have been many complaints
about the stability of the 4.0 release.

Thanks.

I couldn't find the 3.6 on the website, so i figured I will download the 4.0
instead.
The IDE seems to have two components (see below).
Do I install the netbeans-4_0-bin-windows.exe first and then
netbeans_mobility-4_0-win.exe next?

NetBeans IDE 4.0 Release download

Operating system: Windows, Localization Language: English

NetBeans IDE installer

netbeans-4_0-bin-windows.exe (36.4 MB)
MD5: 4743f4ee275160d56b78b6a874521f5f

netbeans_mobility-4_0-win.exe (16.35 MB)
MD5: 92638246c00889e4367004d3f6a10ae2

David Segall

Sharp said:
Thanks.

I couldn't find the 3.6 on the website, so i figured I will download the 4.0
instead.
The IDE seems to have two components (see below).
Do I install the netbeans-4_0-bin-windows.exe first and then
netbeans_mobility-4_0-win.exe next?

NetBeans IDE 4.0 Release download

Operating system: Windows, Localization Language: English

NetBeans IDE installer

netbeans-4_0-bin-windows.exe (36.4 MB)
MD5: 4743f4ee275160d56b78b6a874521f5f

netbeans_mobility-4_0-win.exe (16.35 MB)
MD5: 92638246c00889e4367004d3f6a10ae2
I am not familiar with the mobility environment but I'm sure you will
be OK if you install netbeans-4_0-bin-windows.exe first. Do you really
want J2ME? It is for developing applications for mobile devices like
Palm pilots and mobile phones. If you want 3.6 you can find it here -
<http://www.netbeans.info/downloads/download.php?a=arch&p=1 > Choose
version 3.6, type Release, OS Windows, Language English then download
netbeans-3_6-windows.exe (37.22 MB)
---