Netbeans failure mode

secret decoder ring

Arved said:
I seem to recall that you're mighty sensitive to personal attacks. I
guess that's a one-way street, eh?

In reference to the above, I was not personally attacking Arne, merely
pointing out something that is already being made quite obvious by Arne
himself, namely, that he is not a native English speaker and not an
especially skilled English speaker. I find it improbable that Arne would
dispute that.

In reference to my snippy tone and occasional jabs and barbs at him
elsewhere, partly that's because my patience with Arne is wearing thin.
Mostly, however, it's simply an attempt to speak to him in the only
language he apparently understands: the universal language of browbeating.
In any case, I'd say a person is losing the argument when they resort to
attacking the other person's English language skills...

Not when the argument is, ultimately, caused by a failure of said
skills. In this instance, the argument ultimately boils down to some
people thinking "Your IDE is up to date!" means something very different
from what it means to the vast majority of native English speakers.
Arne's credibility in the debate over what that phrase actually means
suffers a serious blow then it is noted that his knowledge of English is
dodgy at best. So it's actually quite relevant; I'm establishing that I
have more authority and expertise than he does with respect to the core
issue in the debate.

It is only logical.
Did the technical merits of your case evaporate even in your eyes?

No, the technical merits of my case hinge on what is the standard
interpretation of a few words of the English language, which makes
knowledge of said language a central matter in determining who's
credible and who's therefore likely to be correct in this debate.
Incidentally, when your final defence is based on the supposed precision
of a human language you may as well hang it up.

It's an inductive argument, and it doesn't rely on precision, only on
statistics: what do 99+ percent of native English speakers mean by
phrases like "up to date"?

If that's not what you apparently mean by it, then you lose the debate.
See, here's the thing. It doesn't even matter that the NetBeans team use
"update" to describe the progression from NB 6.1 to NB 6.5 (by a new
installation procedure)

Sure it does, because it puts the lie to your claim that they mean
something utterly different by "update". And even THAT claim was a thin
excuse, rather than an actual rebuttal of *my* original claim, which
hinges solely on what an ordinary English-speaking person will make of
the term, and the development team's putative specialized jargon meaning
for it be damned.
anyone who actually uses the IDE knows (or should) that updating
through the IDE will not magically get you to the next major release.

That tired old straw-man again?

The issue was that the "Check For Updates" menu item incorrectly reports
the IDE as up to date, instead of *notifying* the user of the existence
of an update. Whether checking for updates does (or should) actually
download and/or install any particular update is immaterial to the issue
of notification.
Considering the ambiguity of the English language, 99.9% of users out
there nevertheless seem to have figured out what's going on...

Or so you claim. For this claim, you have supplied zero evidence so far.
Most of my recent contracts have seen me and all of my colleagues using
Eclipse. [remainder deleted as obviously irrelevant; we're discussing
"the other IDE" here, remember?

And even if we were discussing Eclipse, anecdotes do not qualify as
evidence in my book.

secret decoder ring

My defense (note spelling) is based on the ordinary meaning of ordinary
phrases in the English language. No precision needed, since that meaning
differs so wildly from what the same words apparently mean in Arvedese.
Those reading this thread capable of being convinced by your arguments
have been, or didn't need to be in the first place. Those not capable
of being convinced by your logic and evidence

Or rather, his lack of either?

secret decoder ring

Arved said:
Nothing about the details of the versioning is needed to prop up my
argument.

NB 6.5 exists.
NB 6.5 is more recent than NB 6.1.
Ergo, NB 6.1 is no longer the most up to date version of NB.

This would be just as true if it were

Foobar 3.0 exists.
Foobar 3.0 is more recent than Foobar 2000. Ergo, Foobar 2000 is no
longer the most up to date version of Foobar.

It's a simple, irrefutable syllogism, regardless of what the numbers
are. You'll note that I chose the made-up example so that the numerical
order was reversed -- 2000 is far, far larger than 3.0 obviously -- so
as to make it clear that the way the numbering system is applied by the
makers is completely irrelevant to the question of up-to-dateness.

The ONLY relevant fact is that there exists a more recently released
version.

As long as you keep ignoring this, you will keep missing the point,
Arved.
[ SNIP ]

Your model of software development

is not relevant here. See above.
does not accurately describe

Nothing about me is "inaccurate".
How do you describe the situation when Windows XP had its SP3 _after_
Vista had its SP1?

There's no comparison. XP and Vista are different things with different
names. Normal computer users are not going to consider Vista to be a
later version of XP, but they are going to consider NetBeans 6.5 a later
version of NetBeans 6.1.
not many XP users are going to think that any variant of Vista is
actually an upgrade.

This one included.

(Here's the spot to mention the proverbial stopped clock being right
twice a day, I suppose.)
Your model of software development falls apart

This again! Why do you keep getting hung up on this irrelevant side
track -- and getting even THAT wrong? No "model" of mine ever "falls
apart" and I find the very suggestion to be rather insulting and
uncalled-for. Do you want me to start openly speculating about your
mental models, mental health, and so forth in public? Because I will.
You're absolutely correct

OK. Well, I guess that's the end of this debate.

Now if you'll excuse me, it's getting rather late and I have a busy day
ahead of me tomorrow.

secret decoder ring

Jerry said:
I call [implied insult deleted], and assert that I suspect you of
being the famous Paul Derbyshire.

As explained previously, I find it necessary to assume that all
insults aimed at "Paul" here are actually intended for me, and respond
in both of our defense. To set the record straight:

* I am not Paul.
* None of the nasty things that you have said or implied are
true of me.
* I don't know whether the insults are true of Paul, but I
very much doubt that he'd appreciate you insulting him behind
his back.

Oh, for Chrissake. I didn't insult you, I insulted Arved in the bit of
the quoted text that you altered. Unless you are another net account of
Arved's?

secret decoder ring

AL said:
What majority? The majority of the voices in your head?

There is only one voice in my head -- my own. Same number as you have, I
suspect.

The majority I refer to is a subset of the people who use version
numbers, of course.

secret decoder ring

Arved said:
Maybe it's just me, but I'd think that a software developer would really
be aware of what exactly it means for an application to report itself "up-
to-date".

The message in question is intended for the consumption of the
software's end user. As such, it must speak their language. It should
not be written in the internal jargon of the software's development team
-- and that goes double if that jargon looks like normal English but
with a specialized and atypical meaning.

It is an error, a type of bug really, for a message presented by a
software UI to mean something other than what it says, AS JUDGED BY AN
ORDINARY USER FLUENT IN WHATEVER WRITTEN LANGUAGE THE UI USES. In this
instance, that language happens to be English, so the meaning in plain
English of the messages is the one that counts. If it has a different
meaning in NetBeansDeveloperese that has no bearing on the correctness
of the message. If the message, as interpreted by a normal human being,
is erroneous, then the message is, for all intents and purposes, simply
wrong.
And you're playing with the English language.

No. According to you, the NetBeans developers are. I am merely reporting
on how the English language is used by the vast majority of native
speakers. Apparently it is used differently from how you claim the
NetBeans developers use it. This would seem to be a not-too-implausible
explanation for how the error got into the software, and perhaps even a
not-quite-passable excuse. It does not, however, change the fact that
the message in question is, taken at face value by a normal English
speaker, simply not true.
There is a world of difference between saying "my Windows is

We are not discussing Windows. We are discussing NetBeans.
When I (and most every developer I know) says that their Eclipse or
IntelliJ or NetBeans is updated, they mean the major version they
have.

1. Developers are irrelevant. We are discussing a message produced by
the software's UI and clearly intended for consumption by its
end-users, not one intended only for its developers.
2. NB 6.5 and NB 6.1 are the same major version anyway. If we were
discussing 6.1 and a hypothetical future 7.0 you might have a
point here. Well, except for item 1 above, of course, which would
continue to apply even then, and alone suffices to torpedo your
arguments.

secret decoder ring

AL said:
Then it would appear the majority rule here is, you are wrong

No. I am not wrong, and you have confused "a vocal minority" with "the
majority". Not to mention improperly narrowed the scope from all people
who use version numbers to all cljp'ers who use version numbers.

Wesley MacIntosh

secret said:
In reference to the above, I was not personally attacking Arne, merely
pointing out something that is already being made quite obvious by Arne
himself, namely, that he is not a native English speaker and not an
especially skilled English speaker. I find it improbable that Arne would
dispute that.

In reference to my snippy tone and occasional jabs and barbs at him
elsewhere, partly that's because my patience with Arne is wearing thin.
Mostly, however, it's simply an attempt to speak to him in the only
language he apparently understands: the universal language of browbeating.

You needn't worry about anything Arne says about you. If there's anyone
out there that has a lower approval rating than Dubya, it's your
arch-nemesis:

http://groups.google.com/groups/profile?enc_user=_qEAVg8AAACRIPXCLvxohn3xAK6vBJbT

So I'd suggest simply ignoring the lout.

Lars Enderin

Wesley said:
You needn't worry about anything Arne says about you. If there's anyone
out there that has a lower approval rating than Dubya, it's your
arch-nemesis:

http://groups.google.com/groups/profile?enc_user=_qEAVg8AAACRIPXCLvxohn3xAK6vBJbT

So I'd suggest simply ignoring the lout.

I don't believe that anybody takes Google Group ratings seriously. They
seem to be very easy to manipulate, and nobody in their right mind would
use them.
I think you are just another incarnation of Twisted/Paul. Nobody else
would be fooled by "secret decoder ring" or anybody like him to believe
that Arne is the villain here.

Arved Sandstrom

secret decoder ring said:
Arved Sandstrom wrote: [ SNIP ]
In this picture release 2.0 is _not_ an update of 1.0, and I don't know
any professional developers, possibly excluding yourself, who would
consider 2.0 to be an update of 1.0 (*).

We are not discussing the terminology professional software developers
would use. We are discussing the terminology of end-users, which is to
say, ordinary English interpreted according to the colloquial meanings of
the words and phrases used.
[ SNIP ]

Are you seriously postulating a sizeable community of Eclipse end users who
are *not* software developers? Exactly what do they do with it?

Well, OK, I take that back. You're a self-avowed end user. You're claiming
that the language used is confusing to end users who are not software
developers. You're admittedly confused. Res ipsa loquitur.

AHS

Lew

Wesley said:
So I'd suggest simply ignoring the lout.

Good advice: *plonk*, madajenda. You lout.

Arne is a good guy. "secret decoder ring" got plonked long ago, the lout.
Good night, sock puppet.

Arved Sandstrom

secret decoder ring said:
Arved Sandstrom wrote: [ SNIP ]
Your model of software development falls apart

This again! Why do you keep getting hung up on this irrelevant side
track -- and getting even THAT wrong? No "model" of mine ever "falls
apart" and I find the very suggestion to be rather insulting and
uncalled-for.

You're kidding, right? You seriously never make mistakes?
Do you want me to start openly speculating about your mental models,
mental health, and so forth in public? Because I will.

Feel free. I don't know how models of software development relate to that,
but OTOH I don't know how perfect people think either.
OK. Well, I guess that's the end of this debate.

Super-editing, eh? You may have noticed that everyone else in this thread
has been quoting so as to retain context. It's one of the last resorts of a
propagandist to start intentionally distorting meaning by excessive pruning
of quotes.

AHS

Wesley MacIntosh

Lars said:
I don't believe that anybody takes Google Group ratings seriously.

Sez someone whose rating isn't much better:

http://groups.google.com/groups/pro...AA5Zic9IN9Gtd0WAqvw897Htgzzpv53ctfNZYfvkkALWg

An unbiased source if ever I saw one. :)
nobody in their right mind would use them.

There must be thousands of looney-tunes with unsupervised internet
access then.
I think you are just another incarnation of Twisted/Paul.

Do you?

Let's do a google search on your posting history.

Ah. I see. It seems you think everyone is just another incarnation of
twisted/Paul.

So I guess I needn't take your remarks personally then.
Nobody else would be fooled by "secret decoder ring" or anybody like
him to believe that Arne is the villain here.

I don't think I was "fooled" by anyone. I made up my own damn mind based
on the available evidence. What I saw was one person being patient and
trying to reason with another person, and that other person being
short-tempered, rude, and gratuitously insulting. That other person also
frequently strayed off-topic in this thread, which the first person did
not do nearly so much, mainly sticking to the core point he was trying
to make about netbeans.

The short-tempered, rude, and often gratuitously off-topic one was Arne,
and the on-topic, patient, and at-least-trying-to-be-reasonable one was
decoder ring.

Make of that what you will.

I have made a couple of other off-topic posts here recently and that's
my quota for December, so I think I'll be sticking with discussing Java
until after Christmas now.

P.S.: I think secret decoder ring is right about netbeans, too. A
feature called "check for updates" really *should* say *something* about
it if there's a more recent version of the entire ide out there to be
downloaded. There's little cost to making it do so, and obviously at
least some users that disable/ignore the start page and expect/want
"check for updates" to tell them if there's anything new under the sun
in netbeansland.

P.P.S: It's interesting that there seems to be some connexion between
the off-topic parts of this thread and the swt program thread I checked
out recently that turned out to be 100% off-topic and nothing to do with
swt. As a (primarily) eclipse user myself, I thought "great! someone
else uses swt", only to be mightily disappointed. What is it anyway, a
long-running newsgroup feud as I recall someone mentioning elsewhere in
this thread? I don't suppose there's any chance the various participants
will take it to email or otherwise quit cluttering up the newsgroup with
random globs of fallout from it.

P.P.P.S: When I list the posts in this group in chronological order
without threading, I see a post by the twisted you mention (it's in the
swt program thread) smack dab in the middle of a bunch of posts by
secret decoder ring (from this thread). Looks like two different people
online simultaneously, to me. Indeed, one post by decoder ring has a
time of 23:35:57 on it, the post by twisted a time of 23:36:04 on it.
The post by twisted is quite long. I don't suppose anyone can write a
post that long in seven seconds? Looks like they each have an alibi. Or
would, if posting what they posted was a crime, which I don't think it
is. The worst thing I can say about the post by twisted is that it seems
to be completely random, off-topic, and irrelevant to java. The post by
decoder ring is on the topic of netbeans and actually chastises
guess-who for putting an irrelevant aside into one of *his* posts. So my
opinion, based on the timing evidence and differences in attitude,
posting style, and language use, is that they're three different people
(though you said decoder ring is Paul and Paul is twisted, Arne said
twisted is Paul, and decoder ring said Arne is Paul!) and Arne is the
least well-behaved of the three. I can even take a gander at where
they're all located, based on posting times and IP addresses -- Arne is
in rhode island, twisted is in ottawa canada, Arved is in eastern
canada, and decoder ring is on the east coast somewhere. As, it happens,
am I, located near boston as I am. So, geography rules out Arne being
twisted. It doesn't say anything about whether any of the other possible
pairs are each other, but it's not especially likely, as the eastern
time zone contains several tens of millions of people all told. Nor does
it say whether any or none of them are named Paul, though just about
everyone seems to have denied it, so my tentative decision is that none
of them is (and besides, I *know* *I'm* not). Well, we have decoder ring
saying his name is Kevin, me saying my name is Wesley, Arne saying his
name is Arne, Arved saying his name is Arved, and Jerry saying his name
is Jerry and explicitly denying his name is Paul, at any rate, just in
this one thread. (Has twisted said anything about his name?) Not that it
really matters, since I don't think who's real name is what is really
the least bit relevant around here. In fact, I think a whole lot of
people have gotten all jumped up, paranoid with itchy trigger fingers,
over a phantom, to be honest, and probably the lot of you are being
trolled and set to fighting each other by someone. Heck, whoever did it
has probably just been lurking for months or years, watching and
laughing as generation after generation of posters here keep being
suspicious that each other is this dreaded, nefarious Paul Derbyshire
character and getting into arguments because of it!

P.P.P.P.S: I did the inevitable and searched the group for that name,
and came up with thirteen hits. Eight are from 1997-1998, posted from
ottawa canada, and are on topic save for a bit of microsoft-bashing and
some metastuff about newsgroup problems. Then there's a single post a
year ago to the swt thread. It's an off-topic flame and came from
arizona, probably either mesa or phoenix. The most recent showed up a
couple of weeks ago, was rather more polite, told everyone involved in
your stupid feud that there was some colossal misunderstanding and he
wanted no part in it, and disappeared. That post's headers place the
author in ottawa canada. Last but not least there are three duplicated
results. My conclusion from this is that there's at least two people
with that name. One lives in ottawa, posted a bit back in the nineties,
and came back recently when he found that people had been inexplicably
posting about him to this newsgroup ten years later. The other lives in
arizona. Google searches turn up websites, news reports, and even
obituaries regarding multiple people with that name, in canada, the us,
and the uk. Maybe the surname is common among brits? Anyway, one of the
two that posted here appears to live in the same city as twisted, and
neither of them in my city or arne's state. I couldn't figure out what
city decoder ring was in, but he's not in the same timezone as the
arizona Paul D. I think two people with that name have posted to the
newsgroup, and of all the people "accused" of having that name, the
likeliest is twisted based on geography, but a wikipedia search tells me
that ottawa is a city of three quarters of a million people, so it's by
no means certain. The second likeliest is Arved, again based on
geography, but I think there's no point in pursuing the question
further, though. What does it matter whose name is what? It's not even
like there's only a single person with that name, there were at least
two that posted to this newsgroup, and there are at least *nine* around
the world, albeit at least one of them is dead. Timing, different
internet providers, and the number of ex-brits likely to be in ottawa,
suggests that the 1997-1998 Paul D. and the one that posted here in
november might even be two different people, which would make *three*
people with that name that have posted to this newsgroup.

Returning briefly to the issue you raised of "who's the villain",
though, I have to say that I see no indications that decoder ring is
trying to start fights. I think maybe twisted is, and from viewing a
sampling of your recent posts it looks like you* and Arne** are. I know
I'm not.

* Evidence: the post I'm replying to now - saying I'm Paul is obviously
flamebait in the presence of the silly feud that's going on here
** Evidence: <[email protected]>,
<[email protected]> - these messages have no
other apparent purpose but to pick a fight

Regardless I will have no further involvement in your pointless feud and
will stick to discussing java after this post.

Arved Sandstrom

secret decoder ring said:
Arved Sandstrom wrote: [ SNIP ]
When I (and most every developer I know) says that their Eclipse or
IntelliJ or NetBeans is updated, they mean the major version they
have.

1. Developers are irrelevant. We are discussing a message produced by
the software's UI and clearly intended for consumption by its
end-users, not one intended only for its developers.

Its end users _are_ primarily developers. It's unclear to me why a
non-developer would wish to use NetBeans. You're also the only person I've
ever heard of who has had an issue with updating any IDE, in the sense that
we've been discussing.
2. NB 6.5 and NB 6.1 are the same major version anyway.

NetBeans doesn't think so. Versions such as 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, 6.1, and 6.5 are
considered to be major releases in their own right. It's right on their
Roadmap page. You can argue until your face is blue that NetBeans isn't
conforming to your standard versioning model, but don't tell the NetBeans
developers that they can't use whatever language they wish.
If we were
discussing 6.1 and a hypothetical future 7.0 you might have a
point here. Well, except for item 1 above, of course, which would
continue to apply even then, and alone suffices to torpedo your
arguments.

Who knows what applies in your Wolkenkuckucksheim? You've stated that
"developers are irrelevant" on comp.lang.java.programmer, while elaborating
your arguments about a programmer's IDE...

AHS

Jerry Gerrone

Jerry said:
* I am not Paul.
* None of the nasty things that any of you have said or implied
  are true of me.

(and so on in this vein; quite a lot of [implied insult deleted])

No. None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me
are at all true.
(I assume you represent the other side from Arne in said feud, based on
your apparent mutual animosity?)

That would be correct.

Jerry Gerrone

Oh, for Chrissake. I didn't insult you, I insulted Arved in the bit of
the quoted text that you altered. Unless you are another net account of
Arved's?

I most certainly am not.

Jerry Gerrone

I think you are just another incarnation of Twisted/Paul.

No, he is not Twisted, and Twisted is not Paul. I am Twisted and my
real name is Jerry Gerrone.

I see that you still have not seen a shrink about that wee paranoia
problem of yours. Please, for all of our sakes, seek help soon.

(I can't definitively say that he isn't Paul though ... however, he
denies it and I'm more inclined to believe him than either you or
Arne!)
Arne is the villain here.

Really, Arne is laughable as a villain. Between his fractured English
and his tendency to trip over his own ... deficiencies in his attempts
to insult people (not to mention the aforementioned sub-Dubya approval
ratings) he's a bigger threat to himself than he is to much of anyone
else.

Still, when he (or you) says something false and nasty in public it
needs to be countered with an equally-public rebuttal of some sort.

Just in case, you know.

Jerry Gerrone

Arne is a good guy.

ROTFL!!

A "good guy" does not litter a comp.* newsgroup with pointless, off-
topic paranoid fantasy twitterings the way Arne does. (A bad habit you
are somewhat fond of yourself, Lew.) If he dislikes someone, a "good
guy" killfiles them and moves on unless forced to rebut that someone's
smears against him. He certainly does not post flamebait at them. If
the person he dislikes seems willing to leave him alone, he leaves
them alone.

Neither you nor Arne meet the description of a "good guy". Sorry.

Jerry Gerrone

I am Twisted and my real name is Jerry Gerrone. It is not Paul. And I
am not Wesley MacIntosh.

This is getting frankly ludicrous. Now *everyone* is being suspected
of being Paul, including Arne. What is going on here? Has the name
simply become a general-purpose epithet in cljp? If that keeps up, I
wonder if the real Paul will eventually turn up and sue just about
everyone here for libel -- Arne, secret decoder ring, you, me,
Lew, ...
Let's do a google search on your posting history.

Ah. I see. It seems you think everyone is just another incarnation of
twisted/Paul.

Unfortunately, this seems to be true of several people around here.

Equally unfortunate is a tendency to uncritically repeat things like
"twisted/Paul" (sic) that imply something incorrect. I am not Paul. I
am Jerry.
I don't think I was "fooled" by anyone. I made up my own damn mind based
on the available evidence. What I saw was one person being patient and
trying to reason with another person, and that other person being
short-tempered, rude, and gratuitously insulting. That other person also
frequently strayed off-topic in this thread, which the first person did
not do nearly so much, mainly sticking to the core point he was trying
to make about netbeans.

It is useless to try to reason with the twizzle-sticks, as I have come
to call them. At least when it comes to me and/or Paul, they are
apparently incapable of reason, blinded by rage or paranoia or some
such thing. If you disagree with them, you must be me. Or Paul. Or,
somehow, both. If you try to reason with them, they simply call you
names. If you call them on this, they call you even more names.

Sooner or later some psychologist will stumble onto the google
archives of this newsgroup from the past year or two and have a field
day figuring out the strange dynamics that must be motivating the
twizzle-sticks.
The short-tempered, rude, and often gratuitously off-topic one was Arne,
and the on-topic, patient, and at-least-trying-to-be-reasonable one was
decoder ring.

Probably -- at least, your characterization of Arne seems spot-on,
though I haven't read this thread in detail yet (just the bits that
mention me, or mention Paul and seem intended to actually attack me)
and so I can't be sure about secret decoder ring. On the other hand,
given that the thing that most enrages Arne is a calm sticking to
facts and logic coupled with a refusal to back down in the face of
bullying and intimidation, Arne's behavior provides indirect evidence
for secret decoder ring's having behaved roughly as you have
described.
Make of that what you will.

No doubt, they will take it as proof positive that you're me, or Paul,
or some such idiocy.
I have made a couple of other off-topic posts here recently and that's
my quota for December, so I think I'll be sticking with discussing Java
until after Christmas now.

They might force you to break that promise by spreading lies about you
that will require public correction.
P.S.: I think secret decoder ring is right about netbeans, too. A
feature called "check for updates" really *should* say *something* about
it if there's a more recent version of the entire ide out there to be
downloaded.
Thirded.

P.P.S: It's interesting that there seems to be some connexion between
the off-topic parts of this thread and the swt program thread I checked
out recently that turned out to be 100% off-topic and nothing to do with
swt.

That would be because after it started over a year ago, it was swiftly
turned into a flamefest by Arne and company here, and then they
perpetuated it, along with a character who called himself "Bent".
(Picture two people, one calling himself "Bent" and the other
"Twisted", in an argument. If it hadn't actually happened I'd not
credit such a story with much plausibility.)
As a (primarily) eclipse user myself, I thought "great! someone
else uses swt", only to be mightily disappointed.

Threads destroyed by Arne and company can have that effect on you.
What is it anyway, a long-running newsgroup feud as I recall someone
mentioning elsewhere in this thread?

Actually, the explanation is perhaps a bit different, though it was
indeed mentioned elsewhere in this thread. The explanation is that Lew
and Arne are paranoid schizophrenics, which causes them to
periodically lash out at newcomers that they get vague paranoid
feelings about. This, predictably, keeps starting flamewars, and since
their paranoid ideation includes a fixation on me and another on Paul,
our names inevitably get dragged into it, and then I get dragged into
it ...

Really, someone should strap the both of them to gurneys and pump them
full of Thorazine before someone gets physically hurt. I mean, it can
only be a matter of time before one of them strangles someone they
bump into in the street who says something they think is wrong and
they therefore suspect of being me. Or Paul. Or whatever.
I don't suppose there's any chance the various participants
will take it to email or otherwise quit cluttering up the newsgroup with
random globs of fallout from it.

The chances of that are approximately zero, at least until said
Thorazine injections take place.
P.P.P.S: When I list the posts in this group in chronological order
without threading, I see a post by the twisted you mention (it's in the
swt program thread) smack dab in the middle of a bunch of posts by
secret decoder ring (from this thread). Looks like two different people
online simultaneously, to me.

That's because it is.
Indeed, one post by decoder ring has a
time of 23:35:57 on it, the post by twisted a time of 23:36:04 on it.
The post by twisted is quite long. I don't suppose anyone can write a
post that long in seven seconds?

It took me closer to seven minutes.
The worst thing I can say about the post by twisted is that it seems
to be completely random, off-topic, and irrelevant to java.

I suppose that's true, though it seemed warranted in an attempt to
send those two paranoiacs into such gibbering spikes of terror as to
make them act out in such a way as to get them promptly committed to
psychiatric institutions that could treat whatever ails them.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have worked, probably because the
both of them (finally) have me killfiled. :p
The post by decoder ring is on the topic of netbeans and actually chastises
guess-who for putting an irrelevant aside into one of *his* posts.

Which, of course, means secret decoder ring is me -- at least, it
means that to a paranoiac like Arne.
(though you said decoder ring is Paul and Paul is twisted, Arne said
twisted is Paul, and decoder ring said Arne is Paul!) and Arne is the
least well-behaved of the three.

Of all of those things, the true one is "Arne is the least well-
behaved of the three". I'm not Paul, I'm pretty sure that Arne's not
Paul, and I've no reason to think that secret decoder ring is anyone
but who he says he is, Kevin Anderson.
I can even take a gander at where they're all located, based on posting
times and IP addresses -- Arne is in rhode island

Ordinarily, place names are capitalized.

Interesting. I thought he was in Europe? His posts have a .dk address
on them and he has a foreign-sounding name with a slashed-O character
and an atrocious grasp of English spelling and grammar, which to me
points to a northern-European locale.
twisted is in ottawa canada

Not quite. I use an HTTP proxy in Ottawa to relay my google groups
posts, so as to make it harder for my enemies to track me down
physically. (They've tried once already.) I'm in Ontario, but I'm a
very long way away from Ottawa...
So, geography rules out Arne being twisted.

I could have told you *that*.
It doesn't say anything about whether any of the other possible
pairs are each other, but it's not especially likely, as the eastern
time zone contains several tens of millions of people all told.

Try telling that to the paranoid schizophrenics ... oh, wait, you just
did. I don't think you'll get anywhere, though.
Nor does it say whether any or none of them are named Paul, though just
about everyone seems to have denied it, so my tentative decision is that
none of them is (and besides, I *know* *I'm* not). Well, we have decoder
ring saying his name is Kevin, me saying my name is Wesley, Arne saying
his name is Arne, Arved saying his name is Arved, and Jerry saying his
name is Jerry and explicitly denying his name is Paul, at any rate, just
in this one thread. (Has twisted said anything about his name?)

Yes, it's Jerry. I have both google groups accounts. Something was
done to the twisted0n3 account (by one of my enemies, I suspect), that
makes it useless to post replies (I just get the "you must sign in to
post" banner when I click reply links, even if I'm already signed in)
but apparently I can still use it to start new threads (strange).
Not that it really matters, since I don't think who's real name is what
is really the least bit relevant around here.

Obviously, but try telling that to the paranoid schizophrenics ...
In fact, I think a whole lot of people have gotten all jumped up,
paranoid with itchy trigger fingers, over a phantom, to be honest,
and probably the lot of you are being [implied insult deleted]

Not by me.

None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at
all true.
has probably just been lurking for months or years, watching and
laughing as generation after generation of posters here keep being
suspicious that each other is this dreaded, nefarious Paul Derbyshire
character and getting into arguments because of it!

My own feeling is that Paul is as innocent of wrongdoing as I am. His
last post here indicated that he somewhat resented the misuse and
random appropriation of his name around here, and the only other posts
I was ever able to find by him, save a flaming outburst in late 2007,
were Java-related or otherwise harmless posts, and moreover were many
years old.
P.P.P.P.S: I did the inevitable and searched the group for that name,
and came up with thirteen hits. Eight are from 1997-1998, posted from
ottawa canada, and are on topic save for a bit of microsoft-bashing and
some metastuff about newsgroup problems.

Those would be them.
Then there's a single post a year ago to the swt thread. It's an
off-topic flame and came from arizona, probably either mesa or
phoenix.

Well, I'll be damned. I'd ask how you figured that out, but you've
promised to not make more offtopic posts until January, so ...

I guess I'll poke around at that post's headers, if I can even find
it. Eh. Traces to ph.cox.com, and mountain standard time so it sure
ain't Philadelphia. Phoenix does look plausible. Well done!

Either Paul's moved around, or there's more than one of them.
The most recent showed up a couple of weeks ago, was rather more polite,
told everyone involved in your stupid feud that there was some colossal
misunderstanding and he wanted no part in it, and disappeared. That post's
headers place the author in ottawa canada.

So, probably two Pauls, one in Ottawa and polite about the misuse of
his name here, and one in Phoenix and less polite. I suppose that
makes sense; the surname is uncommon but not outright-rare and anyone
with that name has reason to resent its being used here in borderline-
libelous newsposts. And Canadians are known for being more polite than
Americans. Interesting...
One lives in ottawa, posted a bit back in the nineties,
and came back recently when he found that people had been inexplicably
posting about him to this newsgroup ten years later. The other lives in
arizona.

The Ottawa-based one is apparently the one the paranoid schizophrenics
have fixated upon in their richly-detailed delusional fantasy lives.
I think two people with that name have posted to the
newsgroup, and of all the people "accused" of having that name, the
likeliest is twisted based on geography

Technically correct ("the likeliest based on geography"), but as it
turns out I'm not Paul.
but a wikipedia search tells me that ottawa is a city of three quarters
of a million people, so it's by no means certain.

Impeccable reasoning, but unlikely to sway the paranoid twizzle-sticks
that are reading all this.
The second likeliest is Arved, again based on geography, but I think
there's no point in pursuing the question further, though.

An interesting hypothesis, but Arved's headers point more toward
central than eastern Canada. The date headers indicate mountain
standard time, so Alberta or Saskatchewan are likelier than Ontario.
What does it matter whose name is what? It's not even
like there's only a single person with that name, there were at least
two that posted to this newsgroup, and there are at least *nine* around
the world, albeit at least one of them is dead. Timing, different
internet providers, and the number of ex-brits likely to be in ottawa,
suggests that the 1997-1998 Paul D. and the one that posted here in
november might even be two different people, which would make *three*
people with that name that have posted to this newsgroup.

Logic is wasted on the average paranoid schizophrenic, and I can tell
you from experience that it's wasted on the particular paranoid
schizophrenics that keep disrupting this newsgroup. There is *no way*
you can ever convince them you're not Paul/me/various other people
they think are all a single Borg-like entity. Even to try will only
convince them of the opposite. All you can to is correct anything
wrong and especially anything wrong and malicious that they say about
you in public, for the benefit of non-paranoid readers that might
otherwise be fooled. And even that tends to result in their posting
more, and more explicit, flames and paranoid ravings, which require
more public rebuttals, and so on ad infinitum.

I'm afraid you've got your work cut out for you. They're not only
looney-tunes, but also (especially Arne) exhibit a pit-bull tendency
to sink their teeth in deep when anyone displeases them and then
never, ever let go again.

Or you can cancel your credit cards, bills, Internet access, and other
stuff and either join a monastery somewhere or try to get a new
identity for yourself, unconnected with the name Wesley MacIntosh.
That name will likely be mud once they are through with it, and you
will become the latest in a string of victims that includes also me,
Paul Derbyshire (all nine of them), Harry Yarmouth, and Christ alone
knows how many other people (including any more Wesley MacIntoshes and
Harry Yarmouths that might be out there).
Returning briefly to the issue you raised of "who's the villain",
though, I have to say that I see no indications that decoder ring is
trying to start fights. I think maybe twisted is

No. None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me
are at all true.

I am not trying to start a fight. I am trying to finish one that has
gone on way longer than long enough.
and from viewing a sampling of your recent posts it looks like you* and
Arne** are. I know I'm not.

Lars and Arne certainly do try to start fights. But they are to be
forgiven, for they are paranoid schizophrenics and therefore cannot
really help it until they receive the professional care and attention
that has thus far eluded them.
Regardless I will have no further involvement in your pointless feud and
will stick to discussing java after this post.

That choice might not be yours to make, unfortunately. They will hound
you and publicly smear the name Wesley MacIntosh, and you will have to
choose between keeping your promise above and watching them destroy
your good name until you can no longer find work, get laid, or much of
anything else, or breaking that promise and speaking up in your own
defense when they lie about you.

Well, unless again you quit your whole life and start over with a new
name, which is probably difficult and expensive, or retreat to a
monastery or something.