Netbeans File Organization - Web Project

Discussion in 'Java' started by LB, Jul 25, 2008.

  1. LB

    LB Guest

    I'm confused by how Netbeans (ver. 6.1) projects manage files. I'm
    working on a simple .jsp web application.

    My project folder looks like this (I'm looking via Windows Explorer):
    Website_Project
    /build/
    /build/web/ <---
    /build/web/META-INF/
    /build/web/WEB-INF/
    /nbproject/
    /nbproject/private/

    /src/
    /src/conf/
    /src/java/
    /src/java/package_name

    /test/

    /web/ <---
    /web/WEB-INF/
    /web/WEB-INF/wsdl

    Its the two different /web/ folders that screwing me up. All of my
    html and .jsp files are copied into those two directories, but they
    never seem to have the same last modified date on them. It looks like
    the build folder has more up to date files. Why are there two folders
    that contain the same files? I don't get it. Is one directory a
    backup for the other? I never can tell which copy of the file is
    which. Its not really a problem if you are solely working in
    Netbeans, projects, but if you are importing / copying or using other
    development tools you can go absolutely crazy. Anybody know why the
    system is generating these copies, and what is the logic behind their
    non-intuitive update scheme?

    How do you guys manage your projects, if you have to occasionally work
    outside of netbeans? When you deploy to another server do you copy
    the files from the /web/ folder or from the /build/web/ folder?

    In my case, I'm using Netbeans to prove out the .jsp and java code and
    logic, but for making a web page pretty, doing CSS work, and
    validating html/xml code, Macromedia Dreamweaver is much easier to
    use.

    Anybody else been here before? Any tips or hints to the rookie? Many
    thanks in advance.

    --LB
    Metro Detroit

    LB, Jul 25, 2008

  2. LB

    LB Guest

    On Jul 25, 12:50 am, Lew <com.lewscanon@lew> wrote:
    > LB wrote:
    > > I'm confused by how Netbeans (ver. 6.1) projects manage files.

    > This is not NetBeans-specific. This is the standard layout for source and
    > deployment directories for a web application. Well, nbproject/ is
    > NB-specific, but the rest aren't.
    >

    > Lew

    Lew, thanks for the reply. I fully understand that there are two
    directories, one for source and one for deployment, but what I don't
    understand is the management behind them. My expectation is the
    system always works off of the build folder, but when you "run" the
    application, Netbeans would make a copy of the build folder files, and
    update the files in the deployment directory, and then deploy off the
    deployment directory... but my system is clearly is NOT working that
    way. When I spot check the files in the deployment directory, they
    are about two or three series of changes too old. (Netbeans does have
    a pretty good file compare tool!) I don't understand the mechanism
    where files in the deployment directory are updated with recent
    changes. My take is that nothing in the deployment directory can be
    trusted.

    Am I missing something? What are the logic rules for when the system
    updates a deployment directory?

    thanks,
    LB

    LB, Jul 25, 2008

  3. LB

    LB Guest

    On Jul 25, 9:00 am, Lew <com.lewscanon@lew> wrote:

    > Simple. When the project is built, it reads the files from the source tree
    > and assembles the resulting artifacts into the build tree.

    I understand and concur for .java / class files..

    > The build directory *is* the deployment directory.

    What is an appropriate term for the /web/ directory?

    > You have lost me. What do you mean by "the system"? "deployment directory"?
    >
    > Lew

    Sorry, I should have been more clear. My problem is in managing html
    and .jsp files, not in managing .java and class files. My .java stuff
    is all straight, coherent and in order, absolutely inline with your
    comments. Obviously the .jsp and html files are not even stored in
    the source tree. (ouch.. Lately, I'm spending way more time in .jsp
    then I ever spend in .java . I only wish it wasn't so... big
    sigh.)

    In netbeans the system has built two folders, BOTH of which have
    copies of all of my .jsp, html and css files. One directory is "/
    build/web/" (can I call this the build folder?) , and the other is
    simply " /web/" (for lack of a better term I have been calling this
    the deployment folder?)

    Generally the .jsp and html files in /build/web/ are always up to
    date... the .jsp and html files in the /web/ folder are generally
    ALWAYS outdated... What I really want to know is why, Why, WHY is
    this folder even here, with regard to html and .jsp's ? It clearly
    doesn't update to any logic that I can figure out. Look at my
    original posting. See those "<-- " arrows. Those are the two
    directories that I am referring to.

    Again, where I'm trying to go is a coherent understanding of which
    directory to use when I need to deploy and / or make updates using non-
    netbeans tools for html/xml editing.

    thank you for your responses...
    LB

    LB, Jul 25, 2008
  4. LB, 25.07.2008 15:41:
    > Sorry, I should have been more clear. My problem is in managing html
    > and .jsp files, not in managing .java and class files. My .java stuff
    > is all straight, coherent and in order, absolutely inline with your
    > comments. Obviously the .jsp and html files are not even stored in
    > the source tree. (ouch.. Lately, I'm spending way more time in .jsp
    > then I ever spend in .java . I only wish it wasn't so... big
    > sigh.)
    >
    > In netbeans the system has built two folders, BOTH of which have
    > copies of all of my .jsp, html and css files. One directory is "/
    > build/web/" (can I call this the build folder?)

    Yes that's the build folder

    > and the other is simply " /web/" (for lack of a better term I have been calling this
    > the deployment folder?)

    No, it's your *source* folder.

    You should always edit the files in the source folder (that's the one that's displayed inside NB in the project tab)
    NB will automatically copy modified files into the deployment folder.

    Never ever, under no circumstances, edit files in the build folder.

    Thomas

    Thomas Kellerer, Jul 25, 2008
  5. LB

    Donkey Hot Guest

    LB <> wrote in

    > On Jul 25, 12:50 am, Lew <com.lewscanon@lew> wrote:
    >> LB wrote:
    >> > I'm confused by how Netbeans (ver. 6.1) projects manage files.

    Basically:

    src and web folders are for source, Java and html respectively.

    build is for build/deployment, and should never be visited, and
    absolutely not edited.

    Illustration: http://www.localnet.fi/jarif/images/webapp.png

    Donkey Hot, Jul 25, 2008
  6. LB

    Lew Guest

    LB wrote:
    > Sorry, I should have been more clear.  My problem is in managing html
    > and .jsp files, not in managing .java and class files.  My .java stuff
    > is all straight, coherent and in order, absolutely inline with your
    > comments.  Obviously   the .jsp and html files are not even stored in
    > the source tree. (ouch.. Lately, I'm spending way more time in .jsp

    Yes, they are stored in the source tree. JSPs and HTMLs are stored in
    the project's web/ folder.

    > then I ever spend in .java  .  I only wish it wasn't so... big
    > sigh.)

    Awwww, poor baby. Just out of curiosity, why in the world would that
    be any sort of problem?

    > In netbeans the system has built two folders, BOTH of which have
    > copies of all of my .jsp, html and css files.  One directory is "/
    > build/web/"  (can I call this the build folder?) ,

    That is the deployment folder.

    > and the other is
    > simply " /web/" (for lack of a better term I have been calling this
    > the deployment folder?)

    That is the source folder.

    > Generally the .jsp and html files in /build/web/ are always up to
    > date... the .jsp and html files in the /web/ folder are generally
    > ALWAYS outdated...  What I really want to know is why, Why, WHY is
    > this folder even here, with regard to html and .jsp's ?  It clearly

    build/ is the *deployment* folder. web/ is the *source* folder. The
    files in build/web/ should be newer than the files in web/ because
    they are built *from* the source folder. So of course they're newer!

    > doesn't update to any logic that I can figure out.  Look at my
    > original posting.  See those "<-- " arrows. Those are the two
    > directories that I am referring to.

    Look at my original answer to your original post. build/web/ is the
    *target*, to which files are copied, thus they are newer. web/ is the
    *source*, so those files are older. They are not "out of date", they
    are the source.

    > Again, where I'm trying to go is a coherent understanding of which
    > directory to use when I need to deploy and / or make updates using non-
    > netbeans tools for html/xml editing.

    build/ is the *deployment* directory. web/ is the *source* directory.

    dist/ is the distribution directory.

    Things get copied

    *from source (web/)*

    *to deployment (build/)*

    thus the deployment directory files are newer.

    web/ is the source directory, build/ is the target.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Jul 25, 2008