Netbeans IDE 6.0 Database Application: question?

Discussion in 'Java' started by BoBi, Jan 19, 2008.

  1. BoBi

    BoBi Guest

    Dear Developers,

    I'm busy developing a database application with Netbeans IDE 6.0 and
    Mysql to automate the data management of my Dongo.org project. I have
    a question as described below.

    I've created two projects using "New Project/Java/Java Desktop
    Application/Database Application" for two different tables in my Mysql
    database. Since my goal is to have the management screens for the
    different tables in a tabbed application I enclosed the GUI elements
    of the first project in a panel and then in a tabbed panel.
    Furthermore I enclosed the GUI elements of the second project in a
    panel and copied and pasted this panel into the tabbed panel as a
    second tab. Since with the copy and paste the binding properties of
    the second mastertable were lost I reapplied those settings. Also I
    added code for and modified the buttons actions in the second tab
    since they referred to the first tab.

    The problem I'm having is that for the new button on the second tab it
    appears not all needed code is executed since visually no new line is
    added to the mastertable. When debugging the original second project
    it appears more code is executed than for the second tab (this is code
    getting attributes of the new instance ...). Nevertheless I have no
    idea how this code is triggered or called from. Anybody knows how to
    solve this problem? Which mechanism is not working for my second tab?
    Maybe it has something to do with the beans binding?

    Thanks and best regards :), BoBi

    http://www.dongo.org

    BoBi, Jan 19, 2008

  2. BoBi

    Lew Guest

    BoBi wrote:
    > Dear Developers,

    Please do NOT multi-post.

    Cross-posted to re-unify the threads, bearing in mind that mostly the same
    people read all three groups.

    > I've created two projects using "New Project/Java/Java Desktop
    > Application/Database Application" for two different tables in my Mysql
    > database. Since my goal is to have the management screens for the

    This seems like it should be done in a single project, since the tables are
    apparently meant to work together somehow.

    > The problem I'm having is that for the new button on the second tab it
    > appears not all needed code is executed since visually no new line is
    > added to the mastertable. When debugging the original second project
    > it appears more code is executed than for the second tab (this is code
    > getting attributes of the new instance ...). Nevertheless I have no
    > idea how this code is triggered or called from. Anybody knows how to

    We, too, have no idea, and we're at a disadvantage because we have not the
    benefit of seeing the source code, as you have.

    > solve this problem? Which mechanism is not working for my second tab?
    > Maybe it has something to do with the beans binding?

    I have no idea what you mean by that.

    How about you post a complete example that evinces the problem you're trying
    to solve? Without that it's unlikely one could be of assistance.

    And don't multi-post any more.

    If you would read the "comp.lang.java.{help,programmer} - what they're for
    (mini-FAQ 2006-03-31)" post from David Alex Lamb in clj.help and ...programmer
    appearing here every five days, and the links to which it leads, you'd understand.

    Cross-posting, while not very useful when the readership between groups is
    mostly the same and doing little to encourage folks to respond, is less sinful.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Jan 19, 2008

  3. BoBi

    Mark Space Guest

    BoBi wrote:

    > getting attributes of the new instance ...). Nevertheless I have no
    > idea how this code is triggered or called from. Anybody knows how to
    > solve this problem? Which mechanism is not working for my second tab?
    > Maybe it has something to do with the beans binding?

    I have to echo Lew's sentiments. We don't have nearly enough
    information to determine what the issue is. Based on what you've
    provided so far, I'd say that the second tab needs an action listener to
    receive events and execute code, but that's really just a guess.

    If you provide an example, please shorten it down a lot. I don't think
    anyone is going to wade through an entire Swing + DB project to find an
    error for you. Make a new project with a very simple tabbed pane that
    exhibits the same behavior. You should be able to make something like
    this in 50 lines of code or so, or less.

    Mark Space, Jan 19, 2008
  4. BoBi

    Guest

    actualy i have the same problem.. but you did not answer the
    question..

    , Jan 25, 2008
  5. BoBi

    BoBi Guest

    On Jan 19, 7:47 pm, Mark Space <> wrote:
    > BoBi wrote:
    > > getting attributes of the new instance ...). Nevertheless I have no
    > > idea how this code is triggered or called from. Anybody knows how to
    > > solve this problem? Which mechanism is not working for my second tab?
    > > Maybe it has something to do with the beans binding?

    > I have to echo Lew's sentiments. We don't have nearly enough
    > information to determine what the issue is. Based on what you've
    > provided so far, I'd say that the second tab needs an action listener to
    > receive events and execute code, but that's really just a guess.
    >
    > If you provide an example, please shorten it down a lot. I don't think
    > anyone is going to wade through an entire Swing + DB project to find an
    > error for you. Make a new project with a very simple tabbed pane that
    > exhibits the same behavior. You should be able to make something like
    > this in 50 lines of code or so, or less.

    Hi,

    Yes, sorry for not including the code. It was rather a lot all
    generated by netbeans.

    Now, because of different reasons I decided not to continue with the
    data bindings provided in the netbeans ide nor the java desktop
    database application like it is generated by the netbeans ide. Those
    reasons being:
    1. Something that should have worked simply did not work.
    2. I was not too happy with the provided functionality anyway. Too
    much clicks needed to perform the crud operations.
    3. The whole construct is to complex, very hard to understand and
    maintain and probably new versions will give an unneeded maintenance
    problem.
    So I will not use the data binding and conceive a solution using
    directly the more basic Java components like the Jtable (without
    databinding and writing my own tablemodel, ...).

    Thanks :c), BoBi

    BoBi, Feb 16, 2008
  6. BoBi

    BoBi Guest

    On Jan 25, 12:01 pm, wrote:
    > actualy i have the same problem.. but you did not answer the
    > question..

    5. BoBi
    More options Feb 16, 9:01 am
    Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer
    From: BoBi <>
    Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 00:01:18 -0800 (PST)
    Subject: Re: Netbeans IDE 6.0 Database Application: question?
    Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
    original | Remove | Report this message | Find messages by this author

    BoBi, Mar 13, 2008