netbeans or java ?

Hal Rosser

Inviting comments about the free IDEs Eclipse and Netbeans (only)
If you are using one of the two - have you tried the other IDE?
If so - why did you decide against the one.
(What did you NOT like about netbeans - and what did you LIKE about
Eclipse?) -or-
(What did you NOT like about Eclipse - and what did you LIKE about
netbeans?)
Did you make the decision - or did your boss?

Steve Sobol

Hal said:
Inviting comments about the free IDEs Eclipse and Netbeans (only)
If you are using one of the two - have you tried the other IDE?
If so - why did you decide against the one.

Yes. I recently switched from Netbeans to Eclipse. I managed to escape Netbeans
hogging all available memory by turning off a bunch of plugins I didn't need,
but there seem to be a lot of memory leaks, at least up through version 3.6.
Maybe they'll have fixed them in 4.
Did you make the decision - or did your boss?

I made the decision - I'm my own boss. :)

Netbeans is a slick IDE, and does a lot of useful things. The memory leaks were
a big problem, though. I also prefer developing using SWT over developing using
Swing.

zoopy

Inviting comments about the free IDEs Eclipse and Netbeans (only)
If you are using one of the two - have you tried the other IDE?
If so - why did you decide against the one.
(What did you NOT like about netbeans - and what did you LIKE about
Eclipse?) -or-
(What did you NOT like about Eclipse - and what did you LIKE about
netbeans?)
Did you make the decision - or did your boss?

Why do you want to know?
Are you conducting a research in this area (considering the .edu
reply-to address)?
Or are you yourself in the process of deciding which one to use?
Or maybe you're just trying to start a flame-war ;-) (c.l.j.advocacy
might be a better place)

B.T.W. I'm using Eclipse (decision by me==my boss). I have used
Netbeans, earlier versions, but several times I lost projects and
settings (mounted fs's, compiler settings, etc.), probably caused when
Netbeans stored it's config data, the file somehow got corrupted
(Netbeans stored config data, at least in earlier versions, as a Java
object in a file, so no way to edit the file in a text editor to correct
things). Eclipse's user interface seems and feels more logical, at least
to me. Further, Eclipse provides a great set of refactorings (don't know
if, and how far, Netbeans has caught up in this area).

Superdude

Hal said:
Inviting comments about the free IDEs Eclipse and Netbeans (only)
If you are using one of the two - have you tried the other IDE?
If so - why did you decide against the one.
(What did you NOT like about netbeans - and what did you LIKE about
Eclipse?) -or-
(What did you NOT like about Eclipse - and what did you LIKE about
netbeans?)
Did you make the decision - or did your boss?

I use netbeans 3.6. mainly because it's solid and familiar and
pluggable. The intuition is mainly the reason why I choose it over
Eclipse which is less intuitive. That is important when I teach java.

I am also my own "boss". I find it interesting that a lot of people in
here are self-employed or run their own multi-employee businesses.

Hal Rosser

Why do you want to know?
Are you conducting a research in this area > B.T.W. I'm using Eclipse
(decision by me==my boss). I have used
Netbeans, earlier versions, but several times I lost projects and
settings (mounted fs's, compiler settings, etc.), probably caused when
Netbeans stored it's config data, the file somehow got corrupted
(Netbeans stored config data, at least in earlier versions, as a Java
object in a file, so no way to edit the file in a text editor to correct
things). Eclipse's user interface seems and feels more logical, at least
to me. Further, Eclipse provides a great set of refactorings (don't know
if, and how far, Netbeans has caught up in this area).
No negative implications at all -
I'm now using JGrasp and plain text editors and considering switching to
netbeans or eclipse.
Both IDEs look like they have learning curves of their own - so I'm trying
to make a decision.
I appreciate your reply.
Thanks
Hal

Hal Rosser

Superdude said:
I use netbeans 3.6. mainly because it's solid and familiar and
pluggable. The intuition is mainly the reason why I choose it over
Eclipse which is less intuitive. That is important when I teach java.

Interesting, do you include a Netbeans 'how-to' in your Java course?
I've been thinking about using it, but the IDE has a learning curve of its
own, and I'm afraid it will interfere with the learning of Java. (I use
JGrasp for my classes - because it is so intuitive and has the debugger.)
How much of the class would be centered around the IDE if I switch to
netbeans or eclipse (in the second course).?

Hal Rosser

Steve Sobol said:
Yes. I recently switched from Netbeans to Eclipse. I managed to escape Netbeans
hogging all available memory by turning off a bunch of plugins I didn't need,
but there seem to be a lot of memory leaks, at least up through version 3.6.
Maybe they'll have fixed them in 4.
Netbeans is a slick IDE, and does a lot of useful things. The memory leaks were
a big problem, though. I also prefer developing using SWT over developing using
Swing.
oooh! - I was under the impression that netbeans was done in Java and I
thought Java programs didn't need to worry about memory leaks because of the
garbage collector. What would cause this in java apps?\
Is the JVM at fault for the memory leaks ?

Steve Sobol

Hal Rosser wrote:

oooh! - I was under the impression that netbeans was done in Java and I
thought Java programs didn't need to worry about memory leaks because of the
garbage collector. What would cause this in java apps?\
Is the JVM at fault for the memory leaks ?

Excellent question. I'm not absolutely sure!

I had the Garbage Collection toolbar turned on and I did manual GC's pretty
often, but sometimes I'd exit the IDE and anywhere from 10-20 megs of memory
used by the IDE never got released. I don't think it's the JVM. Not in this case.

Paul Lutus

Hal Rosser wrote:

/ ...
oooh! - I was under the impression that netbeans was done in Java and I
thought Java programs didn't need to worry about memory leaks because of
the garbage collector. What would cause this in java apps?\
Is the JVM at fault for the memory leaks ?

One can write an application that creates a lot of objects that are
perpetually referenced in on way or another, and thus create the Java
equivalent of memory leaks. It is a question of good programming methods
(or the absence thereof).

Peter Ashford

Hal said:
(decision by me==my boss). I have used

No negative implications at all -
I'm now using JGrasp and plain text editors and considering switching to
netbeans or eclipse.
Both IDEs look like they have learning curves of their own - so I'm trying
to make a decision.
I appreciate your reply.
Thanks

IMO Eclipse is very easy to use, and easier that Netbeans in particular.
I'm personally very fond of Eclipse - IMO its the best IDE for *any*
language anywhere (better than Visual Studio by miles).

Peter Ashford

Hal said:
Interesting, do you include a Netbeans 'how-to' in your Java course?
I've been thinking about using it, but the IDE has a learning curve of its
own, and I'm afraid it will interfere with the learning of Java. (I use
JGrasp for my classes - because it is so intuitive and has the debugger.)
How much of the class would be centered around the IDE if I switch to
netbeans or eclipse (in the second course).?

If your concern is for teaching Java, you should consider BlueJ which is
designed for teaching Java.: http://www.bluej.org/

(I still think Eclipse is the best Java IDE though :eek:) )