    netbeans?)
    Did you make the decision - or did your boss?

    ---

    Hal Rosser, Aug 29, 2004

  2. Hal Rosser

    Steve Sobol Guest

    Hal Rosser wrote:

    > Inviting comments about the free IDEs Eclipse and Netbeans (only)
    > If you are using one of the two - have you tried the other IDE?
    > If so - why did you decide against the one.

    Yes. I recently switched from Netbeans to Eclipse. I managed to escape Netbeans
    hogging all available memory by turning off a bunch of plugins I didn't need,
    but there seem to be a lot of memory leaks, at least up through version 3.6.
    Maybe they'll have fixed them in 4.

    > Did you make the decision - or did your boss?

    I made the decision - I'm my own boss. :)

    Netbeans is a slick IDE, and does a lot of useful things. The memory leaks were
    a big problem, though. I also prefer developing using SWT over developing using
    Swing.

    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /

    Steve Sobol, Aug 29, 2004

  3. Hal Rosser

    zoopy Guest

    On 29-8-2004 6:20, Hal Rosser wrote:

    > Inviting comments about the free IDEs Eclipse and Netbeans (only)
    > If you are using one of the two - have you tried the other IDE?
    > If so - why did you decide against the one.
    > (What did you NOT like about netbeans - and what did you LIKE about
    > Eclipse?) -or-
    > (What did you NOT like about Eclipse - and what did you LIKE about
    > netbeans?)
    > Did you make the decision - or did your boss?
    >

    > ---

    Why do you want to know?
    Are you conducting a research in this area (considering the .edu
    reply-to address)?
    Or are you yourself in the process of deciding which one to use?
    Or maybe you're just trying to start a flame-war ;-) (c.l.j.advocacy
    might be a better place)

    B.T.W. I'm using Eclipse (decision by me==my boss). I have used
    Netbeans, earlier versions, but several times I lost projects and
    settings (mounted fs's, compiler settings, etc.), probably caused when
    Netbeans stored it's config data, the file somehow got corrupted
    (Netbeans stored config data, at least in earlier versions, as a Java
    object in a file, so no way to edit the file in a text editor to correct
    things). Eclipse's user interface seems and feels more logical, at least
    to me. Further, Eclipse provides a great set of refactorings (don't know
    if, and how far, Netbeans has caught up in this area).

    --
    Regards,
    Z.

    zoopy, Aug 29, 2004
  4. Hal Rosser

    Superdude Guest

    Hal Rosser wrote:

    > Inviting comments about the free IDEs Eclipse and Netbeans (only)
    > If you are using one of the two - have you tried the other IDE?
    > If so - why did you decide against the one.
    > (What did you NOT like about netbeans - and what did you LIKE about
    > Eclipse?) -or-
    > (What did you NOT like about Eclipse - and what did you LIKE about
    > netbeans?)
    > Did you make the decision - or did your boss?
    >

    > ---

    I use netbeans 3.6. mainly because it's solid and familiar and
    pluggable. The intuition is mainly the reason why I choose it over
    Eclipse which is less intuitive. That is important when I teach java.

    I am also my own "boss". I find it interesting that a lot of people in
    here are self-employed or run their own multi-employee businesses.

    Superdude, Aug 29, 2004
  5. Hal Rosser

    Hal Rosser Guest

    "zoopy" <> wrote in message

    > Why do you want to know?
    > Are you conducting a research in this area > B.T.W. I'm using Eclipse

    (decision by me==my boss). I have used
    > Netbeans, earlier versions, but several times I lost projects and
    > settings (mounted fs's, compiler settings, etc.), probably caused when
    > Netbeans stored it's config data, the file somehow got corrupted
    > (Netbeans stored config data, at least in earlier versions, as a Java
    > object in a file, so no way to edit the file in a text editor to correct
    > things). Eclipse's user interface seems and feels more logical, at least
    > to me. Further, Eclipse provides a great set of refactorings (don't know
    > if, and how far, Netbeans has caught up in this area).
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Z.

    No negative implications at all -
    I'm now using JGrasp and plain text editors and considering switching to
    netbeans or eclipse.
    Both IDEs look like they have learning curves of their own - so I'm trying
    to make a decision.
    I appreciate your reply.
    Thanks
    Hal

    ---

    Hal Rosser, Aug 30, 2004
  6. Hal Rosser

    Hal Rosser Guest

    "Superdude" <> wrote in message
    > I use netbeans 3.6. mainly because it's solid and familiar and
    > pluggable. The intuition is mainly the reason why I choose it over
    > Eclipse which is less intuitive. That is important when I teach java.

    Interesting, do you include a Netbeans 'how-to' in your Java course?
    I've been thinking about using it, but the IDE has a learning curve of its
    own, and I'm afraid it will interfere with the learning of Java. (I use
    JGrasp for my classes - because it is so intuitive and has the debugger.)
    How much of the class would be centered around the IDE if I switch to
    netbeans or eclipse (in the second course).?

    ---

    Hal Rosser, Aug 30, 2004
  7. Hal Rosser

    Hal Rosser Guest

    "Steve Sobol" <> wrote in message
    > Yes. I recently switched from Netbeans to Eclipse. I managed to escape

    Netbeans
    > hogging all available memory by turning off a bunch of plugins I didn't

    need,
    > but there seem to be a lot of memory leaks, at least up through version

    3.6.
    > Maybe they'll have fixed them in 4.
    > Netbeans is a slick IDE, and does a lot of useful things. The memory leaks

    were
    > a big problem, though. I also prefer developing using SWT over developing

    using
    > Swing.

    oooh! - I was under the impression that netbeans was done in Java and I
    thought Java programs didn't need to worry about memory leaks because of the
    garbage collector. What would cause this in java apps?\
    Is the JVM at fault for the memory leaks ?

    ---

    Hal Rosser, Aug 30, 2004
  8. Hal Rosser

    Steve Sobol Guest

    Hal Rosser wrote:

    > oooh! - I was under the impression that netbeans was done in Java and I
    > thought Java programs didn't need to worry about memory leaks because of the
    > garbage collector. What would cause this in java apps?\
    > Is the JVM at fault for the memory leaks ?

    Excellent question. I'm not absolutely sure!

    I had the Garbage Collection toolbar turned on and I did manual GC's pretty
    often, but sometimes I'd exit the IDE and anywhere from 10-20 megs of memory
    used by the IDE never got released. I don't think it's the JVM. Not in this case.

    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /

    Steve Sobol, Aug 30, 2004
  9. Hal Rosser

    Paul Lutus Guest

    Hal Rosser wrote:

    / ...

    > oooh! - I was under the impression that netbeans was done in Java and I
    > thought Java programs didn't need to worry about memory leaks because of
    > the garbage collector. What would cause this in java apps?\
    > Is the JVM at fault for the memory leaks ?

    One can write an application that creates a lot of objects that are
    perpetually referenced in on way or another, and thus create the Java
    equivalent of memory leaks. It is a question of good programming methods
    (or the absence thereof).

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    Paul Lutus, Aug 30, 2004
  10. Hal Rosser wrote:

    > "zoopy" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>Why do you want to know?
    >>Are you conducting a research in this area > B.T.W. I'm using Eclipse

    > (decision by me==my boss). I have used
    >
    >>Netbeans, earlier versions, but several times I lost projects and
    >>settings (mounted fs's, compiler settings, etc.), probably caused when
    >>Netbeans stored it's config data, the file somehow got corrupted
    >>(Netbeans stored config data, at least in earlier versions, as a Java
    >>object in a file, so no way to edit the file in a text editor to correct
    >>things). Eclipse's user interface seems and feels more logical, at least
    >>to me. Further, Eclipse provides a great set of refactorings (don't know
    >>if, and how far, Netbeans has caught up in this area).
    >>
    >>--
    >>Regards,
    >>Z.

    > No negative implications at all -
    > I'm now using JGrasp and plain text editors and considering switching to
    > netbeans or eclipse.
    > Both IDEs look like they have learning curves of their own - so I'm trying
    > to make a decision.
    > I appreciate your reply.
    > Thanks

    IMO Eclipse is very easy to use, and easier that Netbeans in particular.
    I'm personally very fond of Eclipse - IMO its the best IDE for *any*
    language anywhere (better than Visual Studio by miles).

    Peter Ashford, Aug 30, 2004
  11. Hal Rosser wrote:

    > "Superdude" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I use netbeans 3.6. mainly because it's solid and familiar and
    >>pluggable. The intuition is mainly the reason why I choose it over
    >>Eclipse which is less intuitive. That is important when I teach java.

    > Interesting, do you include a Netbeans 'how-to' in your Java course?
    > I've been thinking about using it, but the IDE has a learning curve of its
    > own, and I'm afraid it will interfere with the learning of Java. (I use
    > JGrasp for my classes - because it is so intuitive and has the debugger.)
    > How much of the class would be centered around the IDE if I switch to
    > netbeans or eclipse (in the second course).?

    If your concern is for teaching Java, you should consider BlueJ which is
    designed for teaching Java.: http://www.bluej.org/

    (I still think Eclipse is the best Java IDE though :eek:) )

    Peter Ashford, Aug 30, 2004