Netbeans Ruby IDE

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by brewin, Mar 17, 2007.

  1. brewin

    brewin Guest

    I've been intrigued by Ruby for a while and recently decided to learn
    more about it. The first thing I began searching for was an IDE. From
    this forum/mailing list, I found out about Netbeans' new Ruby support.
    As I was researching it, I came across the Netbeans Ruby IDE.

    http://deadlock.nbextras.org/hudson/job/ruby/
    (Latest build is netbeans-rubyide-hudson-490.zip)

    It's Netbeans without the Java. As far as I can tell, it has only been
    in development for a few days. But it already shows major promise IMHO.
    If you want a free Ruby-only IDE (with Rails support), this seems ideal.
    It's very clean and and responsive (compared to normal Netbeans and
    Eclipse) and it seems to have all the features you need and nothing you
    don't.

    Only issues encountered so far:
    - Code completion doesn't work. (Maybe I just don't know how to enable
    it?)
    - A few minor cosmetic bugs.

    With my very limited knowledge of Ruby, I've only done some basic
    testing. I'm curious to see how it handles large projects compared to
    commercial IDEs.

    brewin, Mar 17, 2007

  2. brewin

    Chad Perrin Guest

    On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 03:51:57PM +0900, brewin wrote:
    > I've been intrigued by Ruby for a while and recently decided to learn
    > more about it. The first thing I began searching for was an IDE.

    Have you had a look at FreeRIDE? I'm not much of an IDE guy myself -- I
    prefer Vim, or SciTE, over an IDE in any language -- but as IDEs go
    FreeRIDE seems pretty slick. It also apparently comes with the Windows
    One-Click Installer for Ruby (though I haven't tried that installer
    myself, so this is second-hand information).

    This sig for rent: a Signify v1.14 production from http://www.debian.org/
    Chad Perrin, Mar 17, 2007

  3. Chad Perrin wrote:
    > On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 03:51:57PM +0900, brewin wrote:
    >
    >> I've been intrigued by Ruby for a while and recently decided to learn
    >> more about it. The first thing I began searching for was an IDE.
    >>

    > Have you had a look at FreeRIDE? I'm not much of an IDE guy myself -- I
    > prefer Vim, or SciTE, over an IDE in any language -- but as IDEs go
    > FreeRIDE seems pretty slick. It also apparently comes with the Windows
    > One-Click Installer for Ruby (though I haven't tried that installer
    > myself, so this is second-hand information).

    I think Curt removed FreeRide from the most recent one-click, although I
    don't remember why. SciTE is still there, though.
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Mar 18, 2007