NetBeans Ruby Support

Bharat Ruparel

Has anyone successfully installed Ruby/Ruby on Rails plug-in modules in
NetBeans? I have downloaded and installed the following file by
unzipping it in the NetBeans folder.
netbeans-6_0-daily-bin-200703041900-4_Mar_2007_1900.zip
I start it by launching NetBeans.exe file. The NetBeans IDE starts
fine. Then I went to the Update Center and chose the Ruby and Ruby on
Rail plug-ins and installed them. When I start a new project (I am
careful in not choosing a project name with spaces or "-" in them). I
am following the basic demo on the NetBeans site and naming my project
"BlogDemo" off C:\demo directory, I am getting Java exceptions
regardless of if I choose ruby project or a rails project. The NetBeans
environment hangs. This does not happen if I choose a Java project of
any kind.
If anyone can post a simple set of steps to install ruby support in
NetBeans with downloaded file names etc., I will appreciate it. It
seems like my ruby plug-ins are not installing properly?
Thanks.
Bharat

Reid Thompson

[...]
which version of NetBeans are you using? I think the ruby support is
for Version 6, milestone 7....

Reid Thompson

Sorry. It is NetBeans 6.0 M7 release.
Ok -- running the linux version seems to be working fine for me..
UBUNTU 6.10, I did reconfigure it to use the native ruby executable
rather than the bundled jruby....

Bharat Ruparel

I think that I am actually going in reverse here!!
I removed NetBeans completely. Installed the Q-Build based on a
recommendation on the site and am trying to connect to the Update Center
using Update Manager. I get time out and cannot connect to the internet
from within NetBeans. The machine is on the Internet. It is asking me
for Proxy Configuration. Clicking on Proxy settings opens up a General
dialog which displays the following options:

No proxy
Use System Proxy
Manual Proxy Settings

It does not matter which one I select and I don't know the Manual Proxy
Settings. I am behind a Comcast firewall and behind a router. How do I
determine which Proxy settings to use?
Thanks.
Bharat

Bharat Ruparel

Problem solved. On my other laptop which is not connected to corporate
VPN, and therefore is not behind a proxy server, NetBeans installed
fine. I could use the Update Center to download ruby and ruby on rails
modules and things seem to be working fine. Another difference between
two laptops is that this one is running JDK 1.4.2 whereas the one behind
the proxy server is running jdk 1.6. But that should not be a problem,
I will test and then report.