    in the face but would be grateful for any tips folk could provide.
    Cheers
    Steve
    Steve, Feb 24, 2008

  2. On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 10:44 PM, Steve <> wrote:
    > Hi all
    > Hope I`m ok posting a Netbeans query here?. I`m trying to learn Ruby
    > using the Netbeans IDE. It seems a pretty slick application but I`m
    > wondering if its possible to run a prog without creating a `new
    > project` each time?. I just want to be able to type in a few lines of
    > code and run it but it keeps running the `main project` which might be
    > an earlier prog I have written??. I`m sure the solution is staring me
    > in the face but would be grateful for any tips folk could provide.

    Wrong tool for the job...

    Use IRB.

    Open a command line and type "irb" and then type your lines.

    Or save a file with the lines in it and from a command line type "ruby file.rb"

    Mikel
    http://lindsaar.net/
    Mikel Lindsaar, Feb 24, 2008

  3. Steve wrote:

    > Hope I`m ok posting a Netbeans query here?. I`m trying to learn Ruby
    > using the Netbeans IDE. It seems a pretty slick application but I`m
    > wondering if its possible to run a prog without creating a `new
    > project` each time?. I just want to be able to type in a few lines of
    > code and run it but it keeps running the `main project` which might be
    > an earlier prog I have written??. I`m sure the solution is staring me
    > in the face but would be grateful for any tips folk could provide.

    2 alternatives:
    1. Use IRB. If you're already in NetBeans, you can get to the built-in
    IRB by chosing "Window/Other/Ruby Shell (IRB)". Or you can use the MRI
    or JRuby versions of IRB.
    2. Use a "scratch project" where you put your test code. (I have a
    source file where I constantly add snippets to the top with "exit" at
    the end of the code chunk. That way I can save old code chunks and reuse
    in a real project at a later date.)

    Best regards,

    Jari Williamsson
    Jari Williamsson, Feb 24, 2008

    Hi - to run the "current" screen - i.e. what you have just typed use CTRL +
    F6

    Ashley Wharton, Feb 24, 2008
  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    > To run the current script, get SciTE, write a little Ruby, and hit <F5>.

    Hi Phlip
    Tried SciTe , wrote a little Ruby, had a little dance, made a little
    love, pretty well got down tonight sorry... hit <F5>
    and .......nothing.
    Presumably it needs saving each time before running?
    As a newbie I did want to avoid having to save files each time hence
    the use of Netbeans. I`m just not used to the various IDE`s and the
    running of Ruby yet but thanks for the suggestion.
    Cheers
    Steve
    ps forgive the bad attempt at humour if you`ve not heard the song it
    means nothing ;-)
    Steve, Feb 24, 2008
  6. [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

    Hi Steve you can avoid saving each time in netbeans. if you want to run the
    lines you have just input hold down the ctrl key and hit F6 ... this will
    run your current "window". Make sure that the "output window" is open within
    the ide ... you can make changes and run as many times as you wish without
    saving. I am also new to Ruby and love netbeans ... it makes it very easy to
    play with.

    Ashley Wharton, Feb 24, 2008
  7. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On Feb 24, 5:40 pm, "Phlip" <> wrote:
    > > Hi - to run the "current" screen - i.e. what you have just typed use CTRL
    > > +
    > > F6

    > Does the current document have to be part of the current project?

    In SciTe I type a few lines of code like so
    puts 'Hi what`s your name ?'
    name = gets
    puts 'Hi ' + name
    and then try ctrl + <F5> nothing happens and the Tools/Go option is
    faded out in fact the top four options are not available. If I then
    save the code as say `test` the Tools/Go is enabled but clicking that
    just opens a small command line window and nothing else until I close
    it then the output panel to the right shows -
    >ruby test.rb

    Hi whats your name
    >Exit code: -1073741510

    all very strange, not sure about the keymap or how to change it?.
    I have tried Netbeans a few times and its starting to do what I want
    now so might stick with that for now.
    Regards
    Steve
    Steve, Feb 24, 2008
  8. Steve

    Steve Guest

    > > Hi - to run the "current" screen - i.e. what you have just typed use CTRL
    > > +
    > > F6

    > Does the current document have to be part of the current project?

    In SciTe I type a few lines of code like so
    puts 'Hi what`s your name ?'
    name = gets
    puts 'Hi ' + name
    and then try ctrl + <F5> nothing happens and the Tools/Go option is
    faded out in fact the top four options are not available. If I then
    save the code as say `test` the Tools/Go is enabled but clicking that
    just opens a small command line window and nothing else until I close
    it then the output panel to the right shows -
    >ruby test.rb

    Hi whats your name
    >Exit code: -1073741510

    all very strange, not sure about the keymap or how to change it?.
    I have tried Netbeans a few times and its starting to do what I want
    now so might stick with that for now. Thanks Ashley for the pointer.
    Regards
    Steve
    Steve, Feb 24, 2008
  9. Steve

    marc Guest

    Steve said...
    > Hi all
    > Hope I`m ok posting a Netbeans query here?. I`m trying to learn Ruby
    > using the Netbeans IDE. It seems a pretty slick application but I`m
    > wondering if its possible to run a prog without creating a `new
    > project` each time?. I just want to be able to type in a few lines of
    > code and run it but it keeps running the `main project` which might be
    > an earlier prog I have written??. I`m sure the solution is staring me
    > in the face but would be grateful for any tips folk could provide.

    Just add all your test scripts to one project and run the current file
    with Ctrl+F6 - although I also add a mapping for the same thing to F12.

    scite is also great.

    --
    Cheers,
    Marc