netscap / IE external entities

Discussion in 'XML' started by Shawn Modersohn, Sep 10, 2004.

  1. Can someone give me the lowdown on the way these two browsers deal with
    the following

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <?xml-stylesheet type="text/css" href="datadump.css"?>
    <!DOCTYPE datadump [
    <!ENTITY sig SYSTEM "signature.xml">
    <!ENTITY txt "this is an entity">
    <!ELEMENT datadump (name)>
    <!ELEMENT name (first,last)>
    <!ELEMENT first (#PCDATA)>
    <!ELEMENT last (signature)>
    <!ELEMENT signature (#PCDATA)>
    ]>
    <datadump>
    <name>
    <first>&txt;</first>
    <last>&sig;</last>
    </name>
    </datadump>

    In IE, without a style sheet, the document tree shows the signature
    element within the last element. With a stylesheet, IE only displays
    the signature content. Just by having an external entity, IE seems to
    only display that content and nothing else.

    In Netscape, without a stylesheet the document tree shows last as any
    empty element.

    In other words, in differing ways, neither is doing as I would expect,
    insert the external entity where I want it while being styled according
    to my specification.

    xmlvalid says the xml is valid so I figure it is a difference in how the
    browsers treat external entities.

    Shawn Modersohn, Sep 10, 2004