Netscape and CSS

trvst2

I just started learning how to make a webpage, and I finally got all
my html files and my stylesheet validated. I opened the files on the
computer with different browsers and everything looked good, but when
I open them on the website , they look fine in IE but neither Mozilla
nor Nestscpe8 show any of the CSS rules being applied. The stylesheet
is pretty simple--just a few rules for background color, div's,
headings and paragraphs. I know there are always problems in browser
compatibility, but this is fairly basic stuff and I would have thought
any browser would be able to apply this stylesheet. Any idea on why
it works in IE but not in Netscape?

TIA
Trvst

Thomas Jollans

I just started learning how to make a webpage, and I finally got all
my html files and my stylesheet validated. I opened the files on the
computer with different browsers and everything looked good, but when
I open them on the website , they look fine in IE but neither Mozilla
nor Nestscpe8 show any of the CSS rules being applied. The stylesheet
is pretty simple--just a few rules for background color, div's,
headings and paragraphs. I know there are always problems in browser
compatibility, but this is fairly basic stuff and I would have thought
any browser would be able to apply this stylesheet. Any idea on why
it works in IE but not in Netscape?

TIA
Trvst
please post a link

Nick Theodorakis

I just started learning how to make a webpage, and I finally got all
my html files and my stylesheet validated. I opened the files on the
computer with different browsers and everything looked good, but when
I open them on the website , they look fine in IE but neither Mozilla
nor Nestscpe8 show any of the CSS rules being applied. The stylesheet
is pretty simple--just a few rules for background color, div's,
headings and paragraphs. I know there are always problems in browser
compatibility, but this is fairly basic stuff and I would have thought
any browser would be able to apply this stylesheet. Any idea on why
it works in IE but not in Netscape?

Without a url to examine we could at best only offer educated (or not
so educated) guesses.

Nick

David Dorward

(e-mail address removed) wrote:

Please do NOT top post.
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html

Looks like my guess was right, the server is claiming that your style sheet
is written in text/plain. Renaming it so it has a .css file extension will
probably cause it to use the correct content type.

You should probably take a read of
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/empty.html since your HTML 4.x document
is littered with XML style self-closing tags.
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts since you use tables for
layout and http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/alt/alt-text.html since
your alt text isn't too useful.

Arne

Once said:
OK, folks, I'll give this a try and see if it works. It should take
you to the main page with six links listed as Units 1-6. I'll try
again if there's a problem.

http://www.keanweb.net/introindex2.htm

Try also to not toppost on news.

"Error: The stylesheet http://www.keanweb.net/mystyle.css.txt was not
loaded because its MIME type, "text/plain", is not "text/css"."

<LINK REL="StyleSheet" HREF="mystyle.css.txt" >

This is *not* a stylesheet file, it's a plain text file as the
extension tells you. I must be only "mystyle.css" without anything
after the extension ".css"

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, (e-mail address removed) quothed:
I just started learning how to make a webpage, and I finally got all
my html files and my stylesheet validated. I opened the files on the
computer with different browsers and everything looked good, but when
I open them on the website , they look fine in IE but neither Mozilla
nor Nestscpe8 show any of the CSS rules being applied. The stylesheet
is pretty simple--just a few rules for background color, div's,
headings and paragraphs. I know there are always problems in browser
compatibility, but this is fairly basic stuff and I would have thought
any browser would be able to apply this stylesheet. Any idea on why
it works in IE but not in Netscape?

IE is just a better browser. <cough>

Alan J. Flavell

With neither quill nor qualm, (e-mail address removed) quothed:

IE is just a better browser. <cough>

By violating a security-related requirement of RFC2616, sure.

OK, I don't have an exploit based on this particular content-type,
but it wouldn't surprise me.

(Are you in training for a troll, btw? SCNR)

SpaceGirl

Alan said:
By violating a security-related requirement of RFC2616, sure.

OK, I don't have an exploit based on this particular content-type,
but it wouldn't surprise me.

(Are you in training for a troll, btw? SCNR)

I totally read the post your replying to as sarcasm. Either I misread,
or you totally missed it? :)

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

# this post (c) Miranda Thomas 2005
# explicitly no permission given to Forum4Designers
# to duplicate this post.

Jafar As-Sadiq Calley

Looks like my guess was right, the server is claiming that your style sheet
is written in text/plain. Renaming it so it has a .css file extension will
probably cause it to use the correct content type.

Also put type="text/css" after rel="stylesheet" for even greater
compatibility. :)

Dr Clue

I opened the files on the
computer with different browsers and everything looked good, but when
I open them on the website , they look fine in IE but neither Mozilla
nor Nestscpe8 show any of the CSS rules being applied.

The first thing I would suggest is to check your url paths
especially CaSe as windows boxes see "A" = "a" but on a unix box
"A" != "a" "A" only equals "A".

Another thing is that "\" fors not = "/". The former wis for windows
and the latter is for unix.

Theres a few other things , but pat differences would be my first bet.

--
--.
--=<> Dr. Clue (A.K.A. Ian A. Storms) <>=-- C++,HTML, CSS,Javascript

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Alan J. Flavell quothed:
By violating a security-related requirement of RFC2616, sure.

OK, I don't have an exploit based on this particular content-type,
but it wouldn't surprise me.

(Are you in training for a troll, btw? SCNR)

Er, as SG said - sarcasm. You need to get out more.

You Australian?

Alan J. Flavell

Another thing is that "\" fors not = "/". The former wis for windows
and the latter is for unix.

But there's only one kind of URL - it doesn't depend on OS.

It's unfortunate that IE silently fixes-up "\" in URLs, leading too
many misguided authors into believing their URLs with "\" in them are
OK when they aren't.

Btw, the Windows file system itself has no problem with "/" as a file
hierarchy separator - where problems arise in Windows, is in parsing in
some of the DOS-like shells, where "/" was parsed differently. But this
doesn't affect browsers parsing "file:" URLs, as far as I've ever found.
And "\" is definitely wrong in "http:" URLs, and causes extra problems for
authors who only test on IE, because IE silently fixes them up.

Win32 Perl, for example, also has no problem with "/" as file hierarchy
separator.

So, basically - avoid "\" as a file hierarchy separator, even on Windows,
except when you have to deal with DOS-like shells.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Alan J. Flavell quothed:
Of course it was - I was never in any doubt about that.
I'm sorry you took the f'up on the wrong wavelength.

I just didn't know if you seriously thought I was "trolling" and/or
believed IE the ultimate uberbrowser of utopia.
Could be. It takes all sorts.

have fun.

I always try.