    There are still a few very dedicated Netscape users out there. A year
    or so ago I found a site for download of Netscape browsers back to
    some of the most early ones.

    cwdjrxyz, Dec 30, 2007

  2. cwdjrxyz

    asdf Guest

    "cwdjrxyz" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Yesterday I read, in the New York Times, that AOL, the present owner
    > of Netscape browsers, will no longer support Netscape with updates
    > including security ones. The last few versions of Netscape browsers
    > have been using a Firefox browser with many extras such as the old
    > Netscape browsers had. AOL is suggesting that those using Netscape
    > browsers now use Firefox. For those who still want a lot of extras, I
    > suggest SeaMonkey, which is based on Firefox. One can continue using a
    > Netscape browser, but lacking updates, the practical end is near. The
    > end of Netscape comes as no surprise, as nearly all of the browser
    > user statistics I have seen show that Netscape browsers have been
    > decreasing greatly for several years and now make up under 1 % of
    > browsers used.
    >
    > There are still a few very dedicated Netscape users out there. A year
    > or so ago I found a site for download of Netscape browsers back to
    > some of the most early ones.

    Ding Dong, the witch is dead.

    asdf, Dec 30, 2007

  3. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "asdf" <> writing in

    > Ding Dong, the witch is dead.

    "As Coroner I must aver,
    I thoroughly examined her...
    and she's not only merely dead,
    but really most sincerely dead."

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Dec 31, 2007
  4. cwdjrxyz wrote:

    > For those who still want a lot of extras, I suggest SeaMonkey, which is
    > based on Firefox.

    This misrepresents their relationship. The reverse is closer to the truth,
    though still doesn't fully illuminate their tangled history.

    Firefox was originally based on SeaMonkey, but in more recent years, most
    of the work on the core, shared components has been done in Firefox, with
    improvements ported across to SeaMonkey.

    In recent months, the Mozilla Foundation seems to have cut SeaMonkey and
    even Thunderbird adrift. I ponder their decisions.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    [OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 3 days, 21:33.]

    Sharing Music with Apple iTunes
    http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/11/28/itunes-sharing/

    Toby A Inkster, Jan 3, 2008
  5. cwdjrxyz

    Bergamot Guest

    Toby A Inkster wrote:

    > In recent months, the Mozilla Foundation seems to have cut SeaMonkey and
    > even Thunderbird adrift. I ponder their decisions.

    SeaMonkey was cut adrift a few years ago when mozilla decided to abandon
    the suite and focus on the separate Fx/Tb apps. Development hasn't
    stopped on it, but I did notice a definite change in quality control and
    turn-around of major bug fixes. The nightlies were very much hit or miss
    for a while (far more than before the split) but that's improved a lot
    over the last 6 months or so, I think.

    I don't like Firefox myself and dread the thought of SeaMonkey biting
    the dust. :(

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Jan 3, 2008