Netscape / IE compatible?

Kristoffer Arfvidson

HI!
I have a question....
when designing asp.net pages in vs.net I always see that labels are
transformed to <span tags...
I stopped using span and div before because of its lack of compatibility
with netscape...

However, in asp.net it dosn´t seem to be an option...

Do you guys know how compatible an asp.net page is with other browsers such
as IE,Netscape,Opera e.t.c...
and with MAC/PC... ???

Because, Im working on a fairly big page, witch needs to be compatible with
as many browsers as possible...

Is there an option I can set in vs.net that makes the page compatible with
more browsers or is it by default?

(It was a while since Ive been using any other browser than IE)...

Yours: Kristoffer

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

If you're concerned that auto-detection doesn't work for your target, you
can handle the target manually:

"Overriding Browser Type Detection
If you want to explicitly control how the page is rendered — instead of
relying on automatic browser detection — you can set the page's ClientTarget
property. You can do this in the Property window or in HTML view. The
property setting is stored as an attribute of the @ Page directive for that
page."

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d.../vbconwebformscontrolsbrowsercapabilities.asp

Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu

Kristoffer Arfvidson said:
Do you guys know how compatible an asp.net page is with other browsers such
as IE,Netscape,Opera e.t.c...
and with MAC/PC... ???

Do you need to support Nestcape 4 as well? Or just newer versions?

Is using HTML 3.2 an option for you?
Is there an option I can set in vs.net that makes the page compatible with
more browsers or is it by default?

(It was a while since Ive been using any other browser than IE)...

ASP.net "claims" browser independent. And it is - but in practice you'll find
that many advanced options often have "trouble" in non IE browsers and that
you often have to do a lot of tweaking to make the non IE browsers work all
the time.

Your mileage may vary and a lot of it is not so much ASP.net, but the HTML
that gets generated by the editor.

Hermit Dave

what i would advise you to do... is
a. have atleast IE 5.0, 5.5, and probably the lastest one (you have ways in
which you can have standalone IE versions)
b. Install version of netscape from 5, one of 6 and probably 7 (though 7
uses the same engine as 6)
c. Download a couple of emulators for mac and linux.

http://www.insert-title.com/web_design/?page=articles/dev/multi_IE

http://www.thesitewizard.com/webdesign/multiplebrowsers.shtml

span works perfectly with ns 7 but not sure bout earlier ones.. (using
iframes and couldnt test my admin pages on ealier ms versions)

hope it helps

Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu

Hermit Dave said:
span works perfectly with ns 7 but not sure bout earlier ones.. (using
iframes and couldnt test my admin pages on ealier ms versions)

Netscape 6 has a LOT of bugs. Most times we dont support it and tell NS users
they have to have 7.

Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu

Hermit Dave said:
with OS X you are kinda stuck cause its a hybrid mac / bsd implementation.
Have a look at the links

Thanks for the confirmation. The links about installing 3 IE's were
incredibly useful as well.
you might wanna give a try to things like virtual pc or vmware.

We live and die by VMWare. But it doesnt do Mac. But its fantastic for Window
s and Linux. VMWare is one of the most amazing and useful pieces of software
we have ever used and we have used it since 1.0. Fantastic for having tons of
kinds of OS's for environment testing, stress testing, simulation,
installation testing, and more. Restore and back up anytime you want. :)

Hermit Dave

you are welcome.
don't use linux often nowadays (its too hyped as microsoft replacement)
but i did use vmware to install bsd a while back when i wanted to check out
the rotor implemation by ms

the best part about backups with vmware is that you just copy the 2 / 3
files to anywhere you please... restore is simple paste of those files...
have to try the similar ms product (its supposed to be really nice.. though
i read that it doesnt mention linux much... but the graphics rendering is
great)
even better than vmware after installing the tools...

Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu

Hermit Dave said:
the best part about backups with vmware is that you just copy the 2 / 3
files to anywhere you please... restore is simple paste of those
files... have to try the similar ms product (its supposed to be really

Yes. But in most cases I just use a snapshot, and click restore. Great for
testing installs. :)
nice.. though i read that it doesnt mention linux much... but the

I avoid MS whenever possible. I've had MS stuff bite me tooooo many times. So
unless there is no choice or all the alternatives are bad... VMWare is
absoluately excellent and always works. Whats not broken - I dont want to fix
- esp on something that traditionally has been a gamble.

I dont mean to be down on MS - but I just spent 1 week fighting an XP upgrade
from home to Pro and it turns out its a known issue that "will not be
resolved".
graphics rendering is great)
even better than vmware after installing the tools...

I dont do graphics intensive work. Only installs, development, web testing,
etc. ;)

Hermit Dave

one thing... i don't understand... programmer are supposed to be computer
junkies as such and since day 1 if i could do a clean install... never
settled for an upgrade...
upgrade is inherently unstable... and lousy..
anyho...

Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu

Hermit Dave said:
one thing... i don't understand... programmer are supposed to be computer
junkies as such and since day 1 if i could do a clean install... never
settled for an upgrade...
upgrade is inherently unstable... and lousy..

If it were only upgrades that had bitten me...