Netscape positioning problems

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Sergey Poberezovskiy, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    Can anyone tell me how do I position controls within
    Netscape without using tables? Consider the following:

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
    Transitional//EN">
    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    .myDiv { display:inline; width:100px; }
    </HEAD>
    <input size="40" type="text"></td>
    <input size="40" type="text">
    </HTML>

    My textBoxes are perfectly aligned in IE, but under
    Netscape width attribute is just ingored.

    Any help is much appreciated.
    Sergey Poberezovskiy, Jun 7, 2004

  2. It might be better to ask this question in a Netscape specific newsgroup.

    "Sergey Poberezovskiy" <> wrote in
    message news:18f9101c44c3b$aedbd340$...

    Peter Rilling, Jun 7, 2004

  3. Quoted from design notes for "width" property in CSS:

    Note in Netscape 4.0+:

    This property does not work (properly) with inline elements, form
    fields, images, and definition lists

    You see that inline elements is not supported ,so you should probably use
    the "table" solution.

    "Sergey Poberezovskiy" <> ???

    Lau Lei Cheong, Jun 7, 2004
  4. Sergey Poberezovskiy

    John Guest

    To get netscape to recognise the width, apply css width to the textboxes
    themselves, too. So if your textboxes were class="myDiv", they'd be 100px
    wide.

    -John

    John, Jun 7, 2004
  5. I think what the origional poster wants is something like to place tabstops
    after the "field labels".

    "John" <> ¦b¶l¥ó
    news:0tVwc.12842$ ¤¤¼¶¼g...

    Lau Lei Cheong, Jun 8, 2004
  6. Sergey Poberezovskiy

    John Guest

    Aha - gotcha! I'll have to put my reading glasses on and my brain in, next
    time. ;p

    -John

    John, Jun 8, 2004