Netscape with JRE 1.5 beta 1 ignores Netscape signing

Discussion in 'Java' started by Mickey Segal, May 19, 2004.

  1. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    Netscape 7 with the Sun JRE 1.5 beta 1 ignores Netscape object signing.
    When trying to run a signed applet one gets the following message:

    Warning - Security
    Certificate Not Verified
    Code will be treated as unsigned.

    The certificate used is a Thawte multipurpose certificate for which the
    Netscape Object Signing certificate has been used:
    http://www.thawte.com/support/code/tech.html

    Netscape 7 with the Sun JRE 1.4 accepts the Netscape signing.
    Internet Explorer with the Sun JRE 1.5 beta 1 accepts the Netscape signing.

    Is Netscape Object Signing supposed to fail starting with JRE 1.5, or is
    this a bug or missing part of the implementation?

    How do you figure out who to ask - Thawte, Netscape or Sun?
    Mickey Segal, May 19, 2004

  2. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Mickey Segal" <> wrote in message
    > Netscape 7 with the Sun JRE 1.5 beta 1 ignores Netscape object signing.
    > When trying to run a signed applet one gets the following message:
    >
    > Warning - Security
    > Certificate Not Verified
    > Code will be treated as unsigned.

    This appears to be a known problem (though it is not yet clear whether it is
    in the bug database). Thawte drew my attention to this thread:
    http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp?forum=63&thread=521509&start=0&range=15#2512140
    in which it is mentioned that the problem affects both Verisign and Thawte
    certificates. Although Verisign now owns Thawte, I think this means the
    error is either in Netscape/Mozilla or the Sun JRE 1.5, but clearly there
    are workarounds since the problem does not occur in JRE 1.5 running in
    Internet Explorer.
    Mickey Segal, May 21, 2004