network packet capture

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Robin Wood, Dec 21, 2007.

  1. Robin Wood

    Robin Wood Guest

    Hi
    I wan to capture network traffic so I've been looking at pcaplet. It
    seems to work but people are saying that its quite old so I was
    wondering if there was anything newer available.

    If there is nothing better, I've got two issues with it, the first is
    I get this message three times when I start up a script:

    /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i686-linux/pcap.so: warning: do not use
    Fixnums as Symbols

    I've read this is because of something in ruby becoming deprecated,
    what can I do to stop these warnings?

    The other problem is that once it has captured a packet it starts
    flooding my network with DNS queries. It gets an answer to its first
    request so it doesn't need to keep requesting. tcpdump just does a
    single lookup so it doesn't seem to be the pcap libraries that are
    causing this.

    Can anyone help with either of these?

    Thanks

    Robin