    programming and socket programming in C. I have done something in
    python but now I want to do it in C.

    Every help is appreciated.
    DanielJohnson, Mar 6, 2007

  2. DanielJohnson said:

    > I have done some regular C programming and still learning. I was
    > wondering if you could guide me through good resources for thread
    > programming and socket programming in C. I have done something in
    > python but now I want to do it in C.

    It's off-topic here, so I absolutely definitely cannot tell you to get
    "Unix Network Programming", Volume 1, by W Richard Stevens. I
    absolutely definitely cannot tell you that the above advice holds good
    even if you're using Windows, since the book is The Best Book and its
    advice is *mostly* portable to Win32. I absolutely definitely cannot
    mention Quinn or Shute, either. And I absolutely definitely cannot tell
    you that with a little care you can write a remarkably thin abstraction
    layer to sit on the sockets, so that your application code can remain
    portable.

    Oh, I nearly forgot to mention that I absolutely definitely can't tell
    you that Stevens also covers threads (although I don't quite recall
    which Stevens the thread stuff is in, since I so rarely bother with
    threads).

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
    Richard Heathfield, Mar 6, 2007

  3. Richard Heathfield <> writes:

    > DanielJohnson said:
    >
    > > I have done some regular C programming and still learning. I was
    > > wondering if you could guide me through good resources for thread
    > > programming and socket programming in C. I have done something in
    > > python but now I want to do it in C.

    > It's off-topic here, so I absolutely definitely cannot tell you to get
    > "Unix Network Programming", Volume 1, by W Richard Stevens. I
    > absolutely definitely cannot tell you that the above advice holds good
    > even if you're using Windows, since the book is The Best Book and its
    > advice is *mostly* portable to Win32. I absolutely definitely cannot
    > mention Quinn or Shute, either. And I absolutely definitely cannot tell
    > you that with a little care you can write a remarkably thin abstraction
    > layer to sit on the sockets, so that your application code can remain
    > portable.
    >
    > Oh, I nearly forgot to mention that I absolutely definitely can't tell
    > you that Stevens also covers threads (although I don't quite recall
    > which Stevens the thread stuff is in, since I so rarely bother with
    > threads).

    I seem to remember that it is in the second volume of Unix Network
    Programming and that some material has also been added in the edition of
    Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment revised by Stephen A. Rago.
    But can I wrote it here ?

    Yours,

    --
    Jean-Marc
    Jean-Marc Bourguet, Mar 6, 2007
  4. Jean-Marc Bourguet said:

    > Richard Heathfield <> writes:

    <snip>

    >> Oh, I nearly forgot to mention that I absolutely definitely can't
    >> tell you that Stevens also covers threads (although I don't quite
    >> recall which Stevens the thread stuff is in, since I so rarely bother
    >> with threads).

    > I seem to remember that it is in the second volume of Unix Network
    > Programming and that some material has also been added in the edition
    > of Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment revised by Stephen A.
    > Rago. But can I wrote it here ?

    Absolutely not. How could you countenance such an idea? It's completely
    off-topic. The OP would be better off asking in a newsgroup devoted to
    his platform, such as

    But yes, I think you're right that it's in UNP2.

    Richard Heathfield, Mar 6, 2007

  5. > <news:comp.unix.programmer>

    > But yes, I think you're right that it's in UNP2.

    Thanks, I needed for the Unix platform. I got the idea, and really
    appreciate it.
    DanielJohnson, Mar 6, 2007
  6. DanielJohnson

    Richard Guest

    Richard Heathfield <> writes:

    > DanielJohnson said:
    >
    >> I have done some regular C programming and still learning. I was
    >> wondering if you could guide me through good resources for thread
    >> programming and socket programming in C. I have done something in
    >> python but now I want to do it in C.

    > It's off-topic here, so I absolutely definitely cannot tell you to get
    > "Unix Network Programming", Volume 1, by W Richard Stevens. I
    > absolutely definitely cannot tell you that the above advice holds good
    > even if you're using Windows, since the book is The Best Book and its
    > advice is *mostly* portable to Win32. I absolutely definitely cannot
    > mention Quinn or Shute, either. And I absolutely definitely cannot tell
    > you that with a little care you can write a remarkably thin abstraction
    > layer to sit on the sockets, so that your application code can remain
    > portable.
    >
    > Oh, I nearly forgot to mention that I absolutely definitely can't tell
    > you that Stevens also covers threads (although I don't quite recall
    > which Stevens the thread stuff is in, since I so rarely bother with
    > threads).

    A much better book for threads is Programming With POSIX Threads by Butenhof.
    Richard, Mar 9, 2007
  7. DanielJohnson

    Randy Howard Guest

    On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 17:59:57 -0500, Richard wrote
    (in article <>):

    > Richard Heathfield <> writes:
    >
    >> DanielJohnson said:
    >>
    >>> I have done some regular C programming and still learning. I was
    >>> wondering if you could guide me through good resources for thread
    >>> programming and socket programming in C. I have done something in
    >>> python but now I want to do it in C.

    >> It's off-topic here, so I absolutely definitely cannot tell you to get
    >> "Unix Network Programming", Volume 1, by W Richard Stevens. I
    >> absolutely definitely cannot tell you that the above advice holds good
    >> even if you're using Windows, since the book is The Best Book and its
    >> advice is *mostly* portable to Win32. I absolutely definitely cannot
    >> mention Quinn or Shute, either. And I absolutely definitely cannot tell
    >> you that with a little care you can write a remarkably thin abstraction
    >> layer to sit on the sockets, so that your application code can remain
    >> portable.
    >>
    >> Oh, I nearly forgot to mention that I absolutely definitely can't tell
    >> you that Stevens also covers threads (although I don't quite recall
    >> which Stevens the thread stuff is in, since I so rarely bother with
    >> threads).

    > A much better book for threads is Programming With POSIX Threads by Butenhof.

    Agreed, in fact, it's probably the only dedicated book out there on the
    topic of pthreads worth the price of admission.

    --
    Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
    Randy Howard, Mar 19, 2007