network programming in C

DanielJohnson

I have done some regular C programming and still learning. I was
wondering if you could guide me through good resources for thread
programming and socket programming in C. I have done something in
python but now I want to do it in C.

Every help is appreciated.

Richard Heathfield

DanielJohnson said:
I have done some regular C programming and still learning. I was
wondering if you could guide me through good resources for thread
programming and socket programming in C. I have done something in
python but now I want to do it in C.

It's off-topic here, so I absolutely definitely cannot tell you to get
"Unix Network Programming", Volume 1, by W Richard Stevens. I
absolutely definitely cannot tell you that the above advice holds good
even if you're using Windows, since the book is The Best Book and its
advice is *mostly* portable to Win32. I absolutely definitely cannot
mention Quinn or Shute, either. And I absolutely definitely cannot tell
you that with a little care you can write a remarkably thin abstraction
layer to sit on the sockets, so that your application code can remain
portable.

Oh, I nearly forgot to mention that I absolutely definitely can't tell
you that Stevens also covers threads (although I don't quite recall
which Stevens the thread stuff is in, since I so rarely bother with
threads).

Jean-Marc Bourguet

Richard Heathfield said:
DanielJohnson said:

It's off-topic here, so I absolutely definitely cannot tell you to get
"Unix Network Programming", Volume 1, by W Richard Stevens. I
absolutely definitely cannot tell you that the above advice holds good
even if you're using Windows, since the book is The Best Book and its
advice is *mostly* portable to Win32. I absolutely definitely cannot
mention Quinn or Shute, either. And I absolutely definitely cannot tell
you that with a little care you can write a remarkably thin abstraction
layer to sit on the sockets, so that your application code can remain
portable.

Oh, I nearly forgot to mention that I absolutely definitely can't tell
you that Stevens also covers threads (although I don't quite recall
which Stevens the thread stuff is in, since I so rarely bother with
threads).

I seem to remember that it is in the second volume of Unix Network
Programming and that some material has also been added in the edition of
Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment revised by Stephen A. Rago.
But can I wrote it here ?

Yours,

Richard Heathfield

Jean-Marc Bourguet said:
I seem to remember that it is in the second volume of Unix Network
Programming and that some material has also been added in the edition
of Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment revised by Stephen A.
Rago. But can I wrote it here ?

Absolutely not. How could you countenance such an idea? It's completely
off-topic. The OP would be better off asking in a newsgroup devoted to
his platform, such as

<<<
But yes, I think you're right that it's in UNP2.

Richard

Richard Heathfield said:
DanielJohnson said:

It's off-topic here, so I absolutely definitely cannot tell you to get
"Unix Network Programming", Volume 1, by W Richard Stevens. I
absolutely definitely cannot tell you that the above advice holds good
even if you're using Windows, since the book is The Best Book and its
advice is *mostly* portable to Win32. I absolutely definitely cannot
mention Quinn or Shute, either. And I absolutely definitely cannot tell
you that with a little care you can write a remarkably thin abstraction
layer to sit on the sockets, so that your application code can remain
portable.

Oh, I nearly forgot to mention that I absolutely definitely can't tell
you that Stevens also covers threads (although I don't quite recall
which Stevens the thread stuff is in, since I so rarely bother with
threads).

A much better book for threads is Programming With POSIX Threads by Butenhof.

Randy Howard

A much better book for threads is Programming With POSIX Threads by Butenhof.

Agreed, in fact, it's probably the only dedicated book out there on the
topic of pthreads worth the price of admission.