Network Programming... Ugh!

Poly-poly man

First off, I'd like to say that if you can find a better newsgroup for
this message, direct me to it.

My problem is this: I need to hook my Linux box up to a wireless network.

I thought of two ways of doing this:

1. Run an old Win98 or ME box as a bridge between wireless and wired,
writing a bridging program in the process, or

2. write a driver that actually works for my card (RTL8185L) under linux.

This seems like a relatively easy driver to write, but I have no idea
were to begin even.

Which do you suggest, and how would I do them?

thanks,
poly-p man

Andrew R

Poly-poly man said:
First off, I'd like to say that if you can find a better newsgroup for
this message, direct me to it.

My problem is this: I need to hook my Linux box up to a wireless network.

I thought of two ways of doing this:

1. Run an old Win98 or ME box as a bridge between wireless and wired,
writing a bridging program in the process, or

2. write a driver that actually works for my card (RTL8185L) under linux.

This seems like a relatively easy driver to write, but I have no idea
were to begin even.

Which do you suggest, and how would I do them?

thanks,
poly-p man

Um. google for 'linux wireless' ?

Quick HOWTO: Linux Wireless Networking
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/linux-hn/wmp11-linux.htm

Though I haven't ever done linux+wireless, being worried it isn't implemented
seems very 1994 :)

Poly-poly man

Andrew said:
Um. google for 'linux wireless' ?

Quick HOWTO: Linux Wireless Networking
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/linux-hn/wmp11-linux.htm

Though I haven't ever done linux+wireless, being worried it isn't implemented
seems very 1994 :)

Do you think I haven't read that or other readmes a thousand times?
Ndiswrapper works, but only for about 3 seconds before locking up the
computer. I won't go into the rest of this, just that I need a driver
and I need to write it.
Either that or a bridging program,
poly-p man

Josh Mcfarlane

Poly-poly man said:
Do you think I haven't read that or other readmes a thousand times?
Ndiswrapper works, but only for about 3 seconds before locking up the
computer. I won't go into the rest of this, just that I need a driver
and I need to write it.
Either that or a bridging program,

Then try under a linux networking newsgroup?

Josh McFarlane

Poly-poly man

Josh said:
Then try under a linux networking newsgroup?

Josh McFarlane

I've given that question to comp.os.linux.networking, with not much
info. How do I write a driver, or a bridging app for windows?

poly-p man

Josh Mcfarlane

Poly-poly man said:
I've given that question to comp.os.linux.networking, with not much
info. How do I write a driver, or a bridging app for windows?

This groups deals with the C++ language only. It cannot help you with
OS / Hardware specific questions.

Al-Burak

No, I don't think Poly-poly wants help regarding networks, but how to
go about writing a C++ program that will drive his Linux box's hardware
to communicate with the wireless network.

Have a good one.

deane_gavin

Al-Burak said:
No, I don't think Poly-poly wants help regarding networks, but how to
go about writing a C++ program that will drive his Linux box's hardware
to communicate with the wireless network.

Since standard C++ knows nothing about driving specific bits of
hardware or wireless networks, such a question would be outside the
topic of comp.lang.c++. The first paragraph of this explains
topicality.

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.9

C++ language questions that come up while writing such a program are,
of course, relevant here (assuming they aren't answered already in the
FAQ).

Gavin Deane