    Which do you suggest, and how would I do them?

    thanks,
    poly-p man

    Poly-poly man, Dec 18, 2005

  2. Poly-poly man

    Andrew R Guest

    Poly-poly man wrote:
    > First off, I'd like to say that if you can find a better newsgroup for
    > this message, direct me to it.
    >
    > My problem is this: I need to hook my Linux box up to a wireless network.
    >
    > I thought of two ways of doing this:
    >
    > 1. Run an old Win98 or ME box as a bridge between wireless and wired,
    > writing a bridging program in the process, or
    >
    > 2. write a driver that actually works for my card (RTL8185L) under linux.
    >
    > This seems like a relatively easy driver to write, but I have no idea
    > were to begin even.
    >

    > Which do you suggest, and how would I do them?
    >
    > thanks,
    > poly-p man

    Um. google for 'linux wireless' ?

    Quick HOWTO: Linux Wireless Networking
    http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/linux-hn/wmp11-linux.htm

    Though I haven't ever done linux+wireless, being worried it isn't implemented
    seems very 1994 :)

    Andrew R, Dec 18, 2005

  3. Andrew R wrote:

    > Poly-poly man wrote:
    >
    >>First off, I'd like to say that if you can find a better newsgroup for
    >>this message, direct me to it.
    >>
    >>My problem is this: I need to hook my Linux box up to a wireless network.
    >>
    >>I thought of two ways of doing this:
    >>
    >>1. Run an old Win98 or ME box as a bridge between wireless and wired,
    >>writing a bridging program in the process, or
    >>
    >>2. write a driver that actually works for my card (RTL8185L) under linux.
    >>
    >>This seems like a relatively easy driver to write, but I have no idea
    >>were to begin even.
    >>

    >>Which do you suggest, and how would I do them?
    >>
    >>thanks,
    >>poly-p man

    > Um. google for 'linux wireless' ?
    >
    > Quick HOWTO: Linux Wireless Networking
    > http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/linux-hn/wmp11-linux.htm
    >

    > Though I haven't ever done linux+wireless, being worried it isn't implemented
    > seems very 1994 :)

    Do you think I haven't read that or other readmes a thousand times?
    Ndiswrapper works, but only for about 3 seconds before locking up the
    computer. I won't go into the rest of this, just that I need a driver
    and I need to write it.
    Either that or a bridging program,
    poly-p man

    Poly-poly man, Dec 18, 2005
  4. Poly-poly man wrote:
    > Do you think I haven't read that or other readmes a thousand times?
    > Ndiswrapper works, but only for about 3 seconds before locking up the
    > computer. I won't go into the rest of this, just that I need a driver
    > and I need to write it.
    > Either that or a bridging program,

    Then try under a linux networking newsgroup?

    Josh McFarlane

    Josh Mcfarlane, Dec 18, 2005
  5. Josh Mcfarlane wrote:
    > Poly-poly man wrote:
    >
    >>Do you think I haven't read that or other readmes a thousand times?
    >>Ndiswrapper works, but only for about 3 seconds before locking up the
    >>computer. I won't go into the rest of this, just that I need a driver
    >>and I need to write it.
    >>Either that or a bridging program,

    > Then try under a linux networking newsgroup?
    >
    > Josh McFarlane

    I've given that question to comp.os.linux.networking, with not much
    info. How do I write a driver, or a bridging app for windows?

    poly-p man

    Poly-poly man, Dec 19, 2005
  6. Poly-poly man wrote:
    > I've given that question to comp.os.linux.networking, with not much
    > info. How do I write a driver, or a bridging app for windows?

    This groups deals with the C++ language only. It cannot help you with
    OS / Hardware specific questions.

    Josh Mcfarlane, Dec 19, 2005
  7. Poly-poly man

    Al-Burak Guest

    No, I don't think Poly-poly wants help regarding networks, but how to
    go about writing a C++ program that will drive his Linux box's hardware
    to communicate with the wireless network.

    Have a good one.

    Al-Burak, Dec 19, 2005
  8. Poly-poly man

    Guest

    Al-Burak wrote:
    > No, I don't think Poly-poly wants help regarding networks, but how to
    > go about writing a C++ program that will drive his Linux box's hardware
    > to communicate with the wireless network.

    Since standard C++ knows nothing about driving specific bits of
    hardware or wireless networks, such a question would be outside the
    topic of comp.lang.c++. The first paragraph of this explains
    topicality.

    C++ language questions that come up while writing such a program are,
    of course, relevant here (assuming they aren't answered already in the
    FAQ).

    Gavin Deane

    , Dec 19, 2005