network programming

amany

if any one can help me with a piece of code to anlayze the packets i
recieve through TCP/IP to view the layer 3 and layer 2 frame???

Ian Collins

amany said:
if any one can help me with a piece of code to anlayze the packets i
recieve through TCP/IP to view the layer 3 and layer 2 frame???
I'm sure you OS will provide the required tools, so you should ask on an
OS specific group.

amany

Ian said:
I'm sure you OS will provide the required tools, so you should ask on an
OS specific group.
hello
i want to build a simple packet analyzer..stiill need to ask an OS
groups??

Ian Collins

amany said:
hello
i want to build a simple packet analyzer..stiill need to ask an OS
groups??
Network programming tends to be platform specific and you will get
better help on a group dedicated to programming on your platform. There
may well be a tool you can use and simply parse its output.

Note, it's normal practice on Usenet not to quote signatures (the bit
below the --).

Phlip

amany said:
if any one can help me with a piece of code to anlayze the packets i
recieve through TCP/IP to view the layer 3 and layer 2 frame???

Google for pcap, libpcap, and winpcap. It wedges your TCP layer and reports
all the packets.

And always find the best newsgroup for a question. This one is only
qualified to discuss C++, and you are only lucky anyone here knew the
answer.

Rolf Magnus

amany said:
i want to build a simple packet analyzer..stiill need to ask an OS
groups??

Yes, because network programming is OS specific. Of course, you have to
choose an OS specific _programming_ newsgroup. ISO C++, which is the topic
of comp.lang.c++, doesn't provide any functionality for network
programming.

Jim Langston

amany said:
if any one can help me with a piece of code to anlayze the packets i
recieve through TCP/IP to view the layer 3 and layer 2 frame???

Why don't you just download ethereal which allows you to examing all packets
incoming and outgoing? Other than that, you'll need to do a lot of research
in the socket code for your OS.