    properly in Windows platform? Any suggestions?

    Thank you. Excuse my English.

    , May 26, 2009

  2. wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I am planning to develop a chatting software in Python, for my college
    > project. I am using Windows Vista. Is it possible to do sockets
    > programming in Python ? Any books or websites ? Also, i want to
    > develop a gui for that program. What are the gui tool kits available
    > for windows? I already knew about PyGtk and PyQT, but will they work
    > properly in Windows platform? Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thank you. Excuse my English.

    You forgot to mention the other big gui toolkits tkinter and wxPython.
    Years ago, I decided for wxPython because of its licence and that it is
    useable at windows and linux. For the socket programming I would like to
    suggest using the xmlrpclib. You can find the official documentation
    here: http://docs.python.org/library/xmlrpclib.html

    Regards,
    Ralf Schoenian

    Ralf Schoenian, May 26, 2009

  3. Dave Angel Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I am planning to develop a chatting software in Python, for my college
    > project. I am using Windows Vista. Is it possible to do sockets
    > programming in Python ? Any books or websites ? Also, i want to
    > develop a gui for that program. What are the gui tool kits available
    > for windows? I already knew about PyGtk and PyQT, but will they work
    > properly in Windows platform? Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thank you. Excuse my English.

    You're asking two very distinct questions, and I hope others will chime
    in, especially with the sockets one.

    1) There is a module called socket, for low level BSD socket access,
    and it does support Windows (plus Mac OSX, BeOS, OS/2, and "all modern
    Unix" No experience with it, however.

    2) There is tkInterf supplied with Python to do GUI development.
    However, when I studied the choices I knew about, I picked wxPython. I
    don't even remember the other choices, because it's hard to learn more
    than one.

    see: http://www.python.org/
    and http://wiki.wxpython.org/

    Both totally free, and with very easy (msi) installers for Windows.

    Watch out for versions, though. If you're goin to run wxPython, you
    want to get Python 2.5x or 2.6x, nothing later. And many say that
    wxPython for 2.5x is more stable,
    Then when you download wxPython, you need to get the matching version.

    Dave Angel, May 26, 2009
  4. CTO Guest

    On May 25, 11:05 pm, wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I am planning to develop a chatting software in Python, for my college
    > project. I am using Windows Vista. Is it possible to do sockets
    > programming in Python ? Any books or websites ?  Also, i want to
    > develop a gui for that program. What are the gui tool kits available
    > for windows? I already knew about PyGtk and PyQT, but will they work
    > properly in Windows platform? Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thank you. Excuse my English.

    There's a book called Foundations of Python Network Programming that
    is
    pretty much as good a book as you could ever ask for on the subject. I
    strongly recommend it, and I think you'll find many of the examples
    relevant.

    As far as PyGTK and PyQT, my understanding is that they will work, but
    require some effort. You may want to look at PyGUI, which I haven't
    used
    but have consistently heard good things about- they seem to have good
    windows support.

    Geremy Condra

    CTO, May 26, 2009

    Thank you, for all your support.

    I will try wxPython with the sockets module.

    thushanthan.

    , May 26, 2009
  6. Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    >I am planning to develop a chatting software in Python, for my college
    >project. I am using Windows Vista. Is it possible to do sockets
    >programming in Python ? Any books or websites ? Also, i want to
    >develop a gui for that program. What are the gui tool kits available
    >for windows? I already knew about PyGtk and PyQT, but will they work
    >properly in Windows platform? Any suggestions?

    You likely want to use Twisted, you should at least investigate it.
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    my-python-code-runs-5x-faster-this-month-thanks-to-dumping-$2K-
    on-a-new-machine-ly y'rs - tim

    Aahz, May 29, 2009