Network programming ?

thushianthan15

Hi everyone,

I am planning to develop a chatting software in Python, for my college
project. I am using Windows Vista. Is it possible to do sockets
programming in Python ? Any books or websites ? Also, i want to
develop a gui for that program. What are the gui tool kits available
for windows? I already knew about PyGtk and PyQT, but will they work
properly in Windows platform? Any suggestions?

Thank you. Excuse my English.

Ralf Schoenian

Hi everyone,

I am planning to develop a chatting software in Python, for my college
project. I am using Windows Vista. Is it possible to do sockets
programming in Python ? Any books or websites ? Also, i want to
develop a gui for that program. What are the gui tool kits available
for windows? I already knew about PyGtk and PyQT, but will they work
properly in Windows platform? Any suggestions?

Thank you. Excuse my English.

You forgot to mention the other big gui toolkits tkinter and wxPython.
Years ago, I decided for wxPython because of its licence and that it is
useable at windows and linux. For the socket programming I would like to
suggest using the xmlrpclib. You can find the official documentation
here: http://docs.python.org/library/xmlrpclib.html

Regards,
Ralf Schoenian

Dave Angel

Hi everyone,

I am planning to develop a chatting software in Python, for my college
project. I am using Windows Vista. Is it possible to do sockets
programming in Python ? Any books or websites ? Also, i want to
develop a gui for that program. What are the gui tool kits available
for windows? I already knew about PyGtk and PyQT, but will they work
properly in Windows platform? Any suggestions?

Thank you. Excuse my English.
You're asking two very distinct questions, and I hope others will chime
in, especially with the sockets one.

1) There is a module called socket, for low level BSD socket access,
and it does support Windows (plus Mac OSX, BeOS, OS/2, and "all modern
Unix" No experience with it, however.

2) There is tkInterf supplied with Python to do GUI development.
However, when I studied the choices I knew about, I picked wxPython. I
don't even remember the other choices, because it's hard to learn more
than one.

see: http://www.python.org/
and http://wiki.wxpython.org/

Both totally free, and with very easy (msi) installers for Windows.

Watch out for versions, though. If you're goin to run wxPython, you
want to get Python 2.5x or 2.6x, nothing later. And many say that
wxPython for 2.5x is more stable,
Then when you download wxPython, you need to get the matching version.

CTO

Hi everyone,

I am planning to develop a chatting software in Python, for my college
project. I am using Windows Vista. Is it possible to do sockets
programming in Python ? Any books or websites ?  Also, i want to
develop a gui for that program. What are the gui tool kits available
for windows? I already knew about PyGtk and PyQT, but will they work
properly in Windows platform? Any suggestions?

Thank you. Excuse my English.

There's a book called Foundations of Python Network Programming that
is
pretty much as good a book as you could ever ask for on the subject. I
strongly recommend it, and I think you'll find many of the examples
relevant.

As far as PyGTK and PyQT, my understanding is that they will work, but
require some effort. You may want to look at PyGUI, which I haven't
used
but have consistently heard good things about- they seem to have good
windows support.

Geremy Condra

thushianthan15

Thank you, for all your support.

I will try wxPython with the sockets module.

thushanthan.

Aahz

I am planning to develop a chatting software in Python, for my college
project. I am using Windows Vista. Is it possible to do sockets
programming in Python ? Any books or websites ? Also, i want to
develop a gui for that program. What are the gui tool kits available
for windows? I already knew about PyGtk and PyQT, but will they work
properly in Windows platform? Any suggestions?

You likely want to use Twisted, you should at least investigate it.