Network programming

Giuseppe Longo

Hello guys,
someone can advise me a book or guide to learn network programming
please?

Regards

Angel

Hello guys,
someone can advise me a book or guide to learn network programming
please?

Network programming is OS specific, so you are probably better off
asking this in a newsgroup dedicated to the OS you are trying to
program for. There is no universally accepted standard for it.

Eric Sosman

Hello guys,
someone can advise me a book or guide to learn network programming
please?

For Unix/POSIX systems, W. Richard Stevens' books are widely
considered "the classics," still much in vogue more than a decade
after the author's death. I don't know what's available for Windows
networking or iPhone networking or Wii networking or ...

The C language itself has no support for networking, so you'll
get better answers from forums devoted to the systems that interest
you. comp.unix.programmer is good for POSIX networking, and there
are Microsoft groups, too.

Kenny McCormack

Hello guys,
someone can advise me a book or guide to learn network programming
please?

Regards

Nowadays, the major networks (ABC, CBS, and NBC) don't offer much
programming worth watching. In fact, I can't remember the last time I
watched any of their programming.

Jorgen Grahn

For Unix/POSIX systems, W. Richard Stevens' books are widely
considered "the classics," still much in vogue more than a decade
after the author's death.

Yes. These two are IMHO the most relevant (to the question) of his
handful of books:

TCP/IP Illustrated, vol 1 (1994)
UNIX Network Programming, 2nd ed, vol 1 (1998)

Note that I'm not familiar with more recent editions, if there are any.

/Jorgen

Les Cargill

Kenny said:
Nowadays, the major networks (ABC, CBS, and NBC) don't offer much
programming worth watching. In fact, I can't remember the last time I
watched any of their programming.

CBS still has "How I Met Your Mother" which is a pretty clever
sitcom. It's a lot derived from "The Dick Van Dyke" show ( plus
"friends"/"seinfeld" a lot, too ) . But Marshall is a lot
like the character Rob Petrie, and Lily is a lot like
Laura... IMO, anyway...

Plus it has Allison Hannigan. HIMYM is just a well-crafted show.

Then there's the "Laverne and Shirley" clone, "Two broke Girls". Meh.
Sometimes it's okay.

ObOffTopic:

You're a lot easier to understand here than on South Park.

Also:

http://www.shoprandalls.com/imagedb/PA98793.jpg

it's yer basic < $20 a liter "scotch". I saw a bottle of it under
the bar one night when I was eating dinner ( the bar was the only
food in the hotel and it was just easier to sit at the bar
to eat as a single ).

Notice how Kenny's Dad has the cap with "SCOTCH" on it? Whadda ya
wanna bet ...

Offered only for entertainment purposes - I thought it was kind of
awesome.

framling

Kenneth Brody said:
What about "The Big Bang Theory"?

I don't understand why people like this show. They seem to get the
"nerd" ethos pretty decently, but the humor I find really
lacking. Every joke is the same old "look how different nerds are from
non-nerds!", optionally including the dumb blonde as a foil.

Am I missing something?

Neil Cerutti

I don't understand why people like this show. They seem to get
the "nerd" ethos pretty decently, but the humor I find really
lacking. Every joke is the same old "look how different nerds
are from non-nerds!", optionally including the dumb blonde as a
foil.

Am I missing something?

The problem with the show, to me, is the pacing. Every joke has a
big wind-up, and a long pause for laughter afterward. It's as if
every joke implementation has to #include<eyeroll.h>, the
preprocessor is super slow, and the garbage collector keeps
hanging.

framling

Neil Cerutti said:
The problem with the show, to me, is the pacing. Every joke has a
big wind-up, and a long pause for laughter afterward. It's as if
every joke implementation has to #include<eyeroll.h>, the
preprocessor is super slow, and the garbage collector keeps
hanging.

Nice keeping it on topic. ;D

Kenny McCormack

Nice keeping it on topic. ;D

I liked it, too. Unfortunately, I expect Kiki (or one of his "friends") to
be along any minute to tell us that <eyeroll.h> isn't in the C standards
documents, so, of course, it is off-topic in this group.