Network programming

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Giuseppe Longo, Aug 14, 2012.

  1. Hello guys,
    someone can advise me a book or guide to learn network programming
    please?

    Regards
     
    Giuseppe Longo, Aug 14, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Giuseppe Longo

    Angel Guest

    On 2012-08-14, Giuseppe Longo <> wrote:
    > Hello guys,
    > someone can advise me a book or guide to learn network programming
    > please?


    Network programming is OS specific, so you are probably better off
    asking this in a newsgroup dedicated to the OS you are trying to
    program for. There is no universally accepted standard for it.


    --
    "C provides a programmer with more than enough rope to hang himself.
    C++ provides a firing squad, blindfold and last cigarette."
    - seen in comp.lang.c
     
    Angel, Aug 14, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Giuseppe Longo

    Eric Sosman Guest

    On 8/14/2012 10:31 AM, Giuseppe Longo wrote:
    > Hello guys,
    > someone can advise me a book or guide to learn network programming
    > please?


    For Unix/POSIX systems, W. Richard Stevens' books are widely
    considered "the classics," still much in vogue more than a decade
    after the author's death. I don't know what's available for Windows
    networking or iPhone networking or Wii networking or ...

    The C language itself has no support for networking, so you'll
    get better answers from forums devoted to the systems that interest
    you. comp.unix.programmer is good for POSIX networking, and there
    are Microsoft groups, too.

    --
    Eric Sosman
    d
     
    Eric Sosman, Aug 14, 2012
    #3
  4. In article <>,
    Giuseppe Longo <> wrote:
    >Hello guys,
    >someone can advise me a book or guide to learn network programming
    >please?
    >
    >Regards


    Nowadays, the major networks (ABC, CBS, and NBC) don't offer much
    programming worth watching. In fact, I can't remember the last time I
    watched any of their programming.

    --
    The motto of the GOP "base": You can't be a billionaire, but at least you
    can vote like one.
     
    Kenny McCormack, Aug 14, 2012
    #4
  5. Giuseppe Longo

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Tue, 2012-08-14, Eric Sosman wrote:
    > On 8/14/2012 10:31 AM, Giuseppe Longo wrote:
    >> Hello guys,
    >> someone can advise me a book or guide to learn network programming
    >> please?

    >
    > For Unix/POSIX systems, W. Richard Stevens' books are widely
    > considered "the classics," still much in vogue more than a decade
    > after the author's death.


    Yes. These two are IMHO the most relevant (to the question) of his
    handful of books:

    TCP/IP Illustrated, vol 1 (1994)
    UNIX Network Programming, 2nd ed, vol 1 (1998)

    Note that I'm not familiar with more recent editions, if there are any.
    (Followup-To: comp.unix.programmer)

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
     
    Jorgen Grahn, Aug 14, 2012
    #5
  6. Giuseppe Longo

    Les Cargill Guest

    Kenny McCormack wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Giuseppe Longo <> wrote:
    >> Hello guys,
    >> someone can advise me a book or guide to learn network programming
    >> please?
    >>
    >> Regards

    >
    > Nowadays, the major networks (ABC, CBS, and NBC) don't offer much
    > programming worth watching. In fact, I can't remember the last time I
    > watched any of their programming.
    >


    CBS still has "How I Met Your Mother" which is a pretty clever
    sitcom. It's a lot derived from "The Dick Van Dyke" show ( plus
    "friends"/"seinfeld" a lot, too ) . But Marshall is a lot
    like the character Rob Petrie, and Lily is a lot like
    Laura... IMO, anyway...

    Plus it has Allison Hannigan. HIMYM is just a well-crafted show.

    Then there's the "Laverne and Shirley" clone, "Two broke Girls". Meh.
    Sometimes it's okay.

    ObOffTopic:

    You're a lot easier to understand here than on South Park.

    Also:

    http://www.shoprandalls.com/imagedb/PA98793.jpg

    it's yer basic < $20 a liter "scotch". I saw a bottle of it under
    the bar one night when I was eating dinner ( the bar was the only
    food in the hotel and it was just easier to sit at the bar
    to eat as a single ).

    Notice how Kenny's Dad has the cap with "SCOTCH" on it? Whadda ya
    wanna bet ...

    Offered only for entertainment purposes - I thought it was kind of
    awesome.

    --
    Les Cargill
     
    Les Cargill, Aug 14, 2012
    #6
  7. Giuseppe Longo

    Guest

    Re: OT: Re: Network programming

    Kenneth Brody <> wrote:
    >
    > What about "The Big Bang Theory"?
    >


    I don't understand why people like this show. They seem to get the
    "nerd" ethos pretty decently, but the humor I find really
    lacking. Every joke is the same old "look how different nerds are from
    non-nerds!", optionally including the dumb blonde as a foil.

    Am I missing something?

    --
    6:34pm
    This is a *time signature*.
     
    , Aug 18, 2012
    #7
  8. Giuseppe Longo

    Neil Cerutti Guest

    Re: OT: Re: Network programming

    On 2012-08-18, <> wrote:
    > Kenneth Brody <> wrote:
    >>
    >> What about "The Big Bang Theory"?

    >
    > I don't understand why people like this show. They seem to get
    > the "nerd" ethos pretty decently, but the humor I find really
    > lacking. Every joke is the same old "look how different nerds
    > are from non-nerds!", optionally including the dumb blonde as a
    > foil.
    >
    > Am I missing something?


    The problem with the show, to me, is the pacing. Every joke has a
    big wind-up, and a long pause for laughter afterward. It's as if
    every joke implementation has to #include<eyeroll.h>, the
    preprocessor is super slow, and the garbage collector keeps
    hanging.

    --
    Neil Cerutti
     
    Neil Cerutti, Aug 21, 2012
    #8
  9. Giuseppe Longo

    Guest

    Re: OT: Re: Network programming

    Neil Cerutti <> wrote:
    > The problem with the show, to me, is the pacing. Every joke has a
    > big wind-up, and a long pause for laughter afterward. It's as if
    > every joke implementation has to #include<eyeroll.h>, the
    > preprocessor is super slow, and the garbage collector keeps
    > hanging.
    >


    Nice keeping it on topic. ;D

    --
    6:34pm
    This is a *time signature*.
     
    , Aug 25, 2012
    #9
  10. Re: OT: Re: Network programming

    In article <k19mj2$79g$-eu.org>, <> wrote:
    >Neil Cerutti <> wrote:
    >> The problem with the show, to me, is the pacing. Every joke has a
    >> big wind-up, and a long pause for laughter afterward. It's as if
    >> every joke implementation has to #include<eyeroll.h>, the
    >> preprocessor is super slow, and the garbage collector keeps
    >> hanging.
    >>

    >
    >Nice keeping it on topic. ;D


    I liked it, too. Unfortunately, I expect Kiki (or one of his "friends") to
    be along any minute to tell us that <eyeroll.h> isn't in the C standards
    documents, so, of course, it is off-topic in this group.

    --
    "We should always be disposed to believe that which appears to us to be
    white is really black, if the hierarchy of the church so decides."

    - Saint Ignatius Loyola (1491-1556) Founder of the Jesuit Order -
     
    Kenny McCormack, Aug 25, 2012
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Kal
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    9,534
    Kevin Spencer
    Jun 21, 2004
  2. Jane Davis

    Network Service account over network

    Jane Davis, Jun 22, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    454
    Kevin Spencer
    Jun 22, 2005
  3. Bill Volk
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    3,155
    Bill Volk
    Jul 2, 2003
  4. kin
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    921
  5. king
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    287
Loading...

Share This Page