    a custom software solution instead.

    Any pointers is much appreciated.

    GP.

    Grayson Piercee, Nov 21, 2008

  2. Grayson Piercee

    Guest

    On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 11:00 PM, Grayson Piercee
    <> wrote:
    > I'm trying to do a home grown load balancing solution that needs to
    > determine which of the two data centers a visitor should be sent to.
    > I'd like to do some type of a network proximity calculation that
    > includes latency and number of hops which will allow me to redirect the
    > user to their "closest/fastest" server.
    >
    > I know all about CDNs and Appliance Load Balancers (F5); I'm looking for
    > a custom software solution instead.
    >
    > Any pointers is much appreciated.

    traceroute -n -w 1 -q 1 $USER | awk '{sum += $3} END { printf ("%8.2f\n",sum)}'
    ;-)

    Depending on how much time you can burn up front, one option may be to
    query the user's IP address via a geo-ip-location; perhaps cache the
    result based on either the user's full IP address or class C subnet to
    reduce the external API calls. Maybe traceroute and/or ping from each
    data center and geo-locate, caching all the results?

    , Nov 21, 2008