[Network] Sockets and Instant Messaging

Alexandre Jaquet

Hi,

I currently working on a decentralized Instant Messaging application for a
LAN and I've a question about
sockets.

I've read some documentation about MulticastSocket and
it's song good for communication between an user and a
group.

But as I see an Multicast socket must be joined by user
by specifing an InetAdress.

The problem is if an application (they assume bot server and client part)
will create discussion between different groups of users how can we be sure
other clients appz
will not receive the discussion from other groups ?

Have you a solution for creating channel group (then an application can have
multi group discussions) ?

Sorry I'm not sure I've explain my problem very well :(

Thomas G. Marshall

Alexandre Jaquet said:
Hi,

I currently working on a decentralized Instant Messaging application
for a LAN and I've a question about
sockets.

I've read some documentation about MulticastSocket and
it's song good for communication between an user and a
group.

But as I see an Multicast socket must be joined by user
by specifing an InetAdress.

The problem is if an application (they assume bot server and client
part) will create discussion between different groups of users how
can we be sure other clients appz
will not receive the discussion from other groups ?

Have you a solution for creating channel group (then an application
can have multi group discussions) ?

Sorry I'm not sure I've explain my problem very well :(

Perhaps I'm just old school in this regard, but I would model this around
multiple connections, a standard client/server for each person to each other
person, instead of attempting any broadcast hoohaa.

Depending upon what you're doing, I'd model with UDP and not TCP, if there
were anything like voip or video going on. Perhaps UDP is better all around
though, particularly for p2p. It matches the "send the data whenever"
notion of messaging.

BTW, have you looked at any established p2p models for this problem?

http://wireless.java.sun.com/midp/articles/jxme/

Alexandre Jaquet

Thanks Thomas for your response

I've read some documentation about JavaGroups and just
get JXTA but since I've to make my diploma project and didn't have time to
explore more of jxta or javagroups

I really need to start to code and not to explore what other ones have done.

My needs are simple :

-have simple communication with one or many users

and some requirements

-must run on a decentralised approch
-must be done in java and not use any existing system

For descovering other entities on network, autentification , clientID and
groupID are solved.

Simple discussion between a peer and another is quite easy.

The only thing I didn't see how to solve is to broadcast
discussion between a group of users who are invited to
partipate in a dial.

Thanks for your kindy help Thomas.

Thomas G. Marshall

Alexandre Jaquet <[email protected]> coughed up the following:

The only thing I didn't see how to solve is to broadcast
discussion between a group of users who are invited to
partipate in a dial.

If I were modeling this, I would assume that the broadcast portion of this
problem is limited to attention getting: "hey everyone, I'm here", or "Who
the heck is out there?", and /not/ for the actual discussion between one
peer and a bunch of them.

For me, the actual discussion part would be separate contacts from peer to
each other peer in the group.