network topology/management tool

Discussion in 'Java' started by Schippy, Jan 7, 2004.

  1. Schippy

    Schippy Guest

    Hi there!

    I´m searching for an open source tool for network management.

    The best case scenario would be a tool I can feed with all kinds of
    data especially paths between peers, hops, ping times and it would
    construct a topological map of my network.

    I could definetly not be the first person thinking of something like
    this, so how is it usually done? What program do THEY use ;-)?

    I´m interested in all solutions open source/commercial, java/anything
    else.

    So, ideas? Anyone?

    Happy new year!

    Greets,
    Schippy
    Schippy, Jan 7, 2004

  2. Schippy

    Sudsy Guest

    Schippy wrote:
    > Hi there!
    >
    > I´m searching for an open source tool for network management.

    <snip>
    > I´m interested in all solutions open source/commercial, java/anything
    > else.
    >
    > So, ideas? Anyone?

    HP OpenView.
    <http://www.openview.hp.com>
    Seriously, it is a marvelous product and readily extensible. Supports
    SNMP traps generating custom events...heck, I even set it up to
    automagically create trouble tickets in Remedy ARS. It's the industry
    standard for good reason. Highly recommended.
    I just hope they've got a reasonable pricing model these days...
    Sudsy, Jan 7, 2004

  3. Schippy

    Schippy Guest

    Thanks!

    But isn´t there anything smaller and more open-source-like ;-)?

    Schippy
    Schippy, Jan 8, 2004
  4. Schippy

    Dave Guest

    (Schippy) wrote in message news:<>...

    > I´m searching for an open source tool for network management.
    > The best case scenario would be a tool I can feed with all kinds of
    > data especially paths between peers, hops, ping times and it would
    > construct a topological map of my network.
    > I could definetly not be the first person thinking of something like
    > this, so how is it usually done? What program do THEY use ;-)?
    > I´m interested in all solutions open source/commercial, java/anything
    > else.

    Check a tool caled NetCrunch (http://www.adremsoft.com/netcrunch/index.php),
    it's not open source, but it's used by lot of people (as it see na the site)

    bye
    Dave, Feb 6, 2004