networked application

VisionSet

My only experience with network is web application/http
I now need to build an application which will be installed on a local
network (lan/ethernet?)
Indivdual application instances will talk to a database on a server.
With my web app experience I'm drawn to the idea of a seperate application
that acts as a server for requests/responses I'm assuming sockets are the
way to go here. This central application can isolate all the database
interaction code and administer the DB security/access.
This is all pretty fuzzy at the moment but if anyone can offer any
direction/resources to format my thoughts further it would be appreciated.