Never Mind

Tim Streater

dorayme said:
He has one good practical point and that is that you should test your
website in different browsers to see what others will see, you should
also change the text size as you do this and you should change the
browser size - in other words take it for a test run.

But you cannot test your website in browsers that have not been
created. It is almost logically impossible. Nor can you predict
changes to browsers.

While this is true, the substance of my point is that despite various
standards bodies insisting that this or that feature of html is
"deprecated", I'm not aware of any feature that has actually been
removed (except perhaps things that were put in ahead of standards and
later removed).

Jukka K. Korpela

Only to a validator. Browers only care whether you have a doctype
or not, and will correspondingly operate either in standards or quirks
mode.

Browsers care about the exact doctype string, which is like a magic
incantation: a single typo there probably makes it lose its power.

In the set of doctype strings that trigger "standards" mode, <!doctype
html> is by far the simplest.

Regarding validators, they let you use "doctype override", i.e. specify
the version of HTML to be checked against via menus in the validator's
user interface.

dorayme

Tim Streater said:
...the substance of my point is that despite various
standards bodies insisting that this or that feature of html is
"deprecated", I'm not aware of any feature that has actually been
removed (except perhaps things that were put in ahead of standards and
later removed).

There is more to validation than deprecation.

Jukka K. Korpela

despite various standards bodies insisting that this or that feature of
html is "deprecated", I'm not aware of any feature that has actually
been removed (except perhaps things that were put in ahead of standards
and later removed).

As regards to removing features from specs, e.g. XHTML 1.1 dropped a
large number of features (almost all presentational features), as
compared with XHTML 1.0 and HTML 4.01. It did not become a success, and
this may be related to that move, at least in part.

HTML 4 dropped <xml>, which was flagged as deprecated in HTML 3.2 (and
in HTML 2.0). But browsers have kept supporting it.

So is there features that have been in HTML specifications and have been
implemented but later removed from *browsers*? Not many. The only thing
that comes into my mind is <listing>, but even it is still supported,
but with interpretation essentially different from the original, so one
might say that the *original* <listing> has been dropped. But it has
been used very, very little.

Tim Streater

Jukka K. Korpela said:
As regards to removing features from specs, e.g. XHTML 1.1 dropped a
large number of features (almost all presentational features), as
compared with XHTML 1.0 and HTML 4.01. It did not become a success, and
this may be related to that move, at least in part.

HTML 4 dropped <xml>, which was flagged as deprecated in HTML 3.2 (and
in HTML 2.0). But browsers have kept supporting it.

So is there features that have been in HTML specifications and have been
implemented but later removed from *browsers*? Not many. The only thing
that comes into my mind is <listing>, but even it is still supported,
but with interpretation essentially different from the original, so one
might say that the *original* <listing> has been dropped. But it has
been used very, very little.

And so I rest my case. Remember: there are lots more guys involved in
writing browsers than there are writing validators.

Christoph Becker

Tim said:
And so I rest my case. Remember: there are lots more guys involved in
writing browsers than there are writing validators.

And there are even more guys involved in writing HTML. If these would
not use deprecated features, new browser versions would not have to
support these features anymore (at least sometimes in the future), what
might simplify the codebase of the browsers, so the developers could
focus on more important aspects.

Jukka K. Korpela

And so I rest my case. Remember: there are lots more guys involved in
writing browsers than there are writing validators.

Hold on... I just noticed that <basefont> has been dropped. Modern
browsers simply ignore it; they generate a DOM node, but that's all. IE
was the last to have support, but IE 10 dropped it.

<basefont> was introduced in HTML 3.2, with size=... as the only
attribute. HTML 4 added the face=... and color=... attributes but
declared the element deprecated. Support was once widespread but never
consistent, partly because the definitions were vague. HTML5 declares it
as obsolete and forbidden and describes it only syntactically and in DOM
perspective, without saying anything about its effect.

And <basefont> has been used, and is still used on legacy pages. It has
just lost effect.

dorayme

Tim Streater said:
And so I rest my case. Remember: there are lots more guys involved in
writing browsers than there are writing validators.

Your case is not as substantial as it might seem that it it is rested
so easily just because browsers have been supporting deprecated
things. It is a good idea, not a bad idea to be thrown out, for
website developers to check their work regularly with validators.

Tim Streater

Christoph Becker said:
Tim Streater wrote:

And there are even more guys involved in writing HTML. If these would
not use deprecated features, new browser versions would not have to
support these features anymore (at least sometimes in the future), what
might simplify the codebase of the browsers, so the developers could
focus on more important aspects.

The chance of people stopping using deprecated features, and just as
importantly, going back and changing existing sites, is vanishingly
small. Therefore browser writers will have to go on supporting almost
everything until kingdom come.

There was already an attempt to enforce a cleanup: XHTML, which tried to
insist that browsers should not do error correction in the case of badly
formed source, but that instead the browser should just give an error
message saying "bad page" or something. The browser writers ignored
this, for the same reason that anyone else would: there are billions of
pages already in existence which are full of errors.

Instead, the browser writers figured out how to recover from HTML errors
in a consistent way. AIUI, this is even documented now. This is why, for
validation purposes, from time to time I push such HTML as I have
through iCab and Firefox.

dorayme

Tim Streater said:
The chance of people stopping using deprecated features, and just as
importantly, going back and changing existing sites, is vanishingly
small.

I see you are fixated on this deprecation business! I have been
trying, without success it seems, to communicate *past* this.

Gordon Levi

Tim Streater said:
And so I rest my case. Remember: there are lots more guys involved in
writing browsers than there are writing validators.

That's why you should use a validator. Browser authors adopt their own
interpretation of errors that the validator would show you. If you
present a browser with validated HTML you can look to the W3C if two
browsers provide different interpretations of the source. If you
provide invalid HTML then those "lots of guys" are entitled to
interpret your errors any way they feel like.

Jukka K. Korpela

The chance of people stopping using deprecated features, and just as
importantly, going back and changing existing sites, is vanishingly
small.

I'm afraid far too many people are working on existing sites to clean
them up, changing them to comply with "latest HTML standard", whatever
this might mean to someone this week. But surely most sites still don't
comply with any "HTML standard".
There was already an attempt to enforce a cleanup: XHTML, which tried to
insist that browsers should not do error correction in the case of badly
formed source, but that instead the browser should just give an error
message saying "bad page" or something. The browser writers ignored
this,

Not quite. They just apply such Draconian error handling at most to
pages served as real XHTML, i.e. with an XML media type, like the demo page
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/test/error.xhtml
Firefox processes it by XHTML rules. Chrome displays the page (it should
not) but preceded by a prominent error message. Modern versions of IE
can deal with real XHTML but they fail to do it properly: they show the
page, with error recovery, and do not even display an error message,
except in the console log, which is normally invisible to users.
for the same reason that anyone else would: there are billions of
pages already in existence which are full of errors.

That's not really the reason. Those billions of pages are not delivered
as real XHTML, so they would not be affected.
Instead, the browser writers figured out how to recover from HTML errors
in a consistent way. AIUI, this is even documented now.

Well, let's say that error handling is being documented and is being
made more consistent. I guess this is a good thing in general, even
though it effectively extends as modifies HTML as a real-life language:
when an error or an oddity gets documented well and gets handled
consistently in browsers, it becomes part of the HTML language that
authors can use - no matter how much the specs declare such markup as
deprecated, obsolete, cursed, sinful, or whatever.