New at this and could use some help

_Who

I want to run on the local machine.
Trying to turn on Shared Memory.

1.
Instructions to enable a server network protocol are:
In SQL Server Configuration Manager, in the console pane, expand SQL Server
Network Configuration.
In the console pane, click Protocols for <instance name>

But when I do it there is nothing in the console pane.

Is this relevant:
The Installed SQL Server features discovery report list:
Instance: MSSQLSERVER
Instance name: MSAS10.MSSQLSERVER
Is there something I was supposed to do first?
Any suggestion as to how to proceed?

2.
At various time I was asked if I want to include 2005 servers. I declined.
Is this happening because I had installed 2005 previously, but never used
it.
I uninstalled it prior to installing 2008.
Can I get rid of them if I don't need them?
Or should I include them?
Did they come with 2008?

Thanks in advance

=====for what it's worth===
SQL Server features discovery report list
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Setup Discovery Report
ProductInstanceInstance IDFeatureLanguageEditionVersionClustered
Sql Server 2008MSSQLSERVERMSAS10.MSSQLSERVERAnalysis Services1033Enterprise
Edition10.0.1600.22No
Sql Server 2008Management Tools - Basic1033Enterprise Edition10.0.1600.22No
Sql Server 2008Management Tools - Complete1033Enterprise
Edition10.0.1600.22No
Sql Server 2008Client Tools Connectivity1033Enterprise Edition10.0.1600.22No
Sql Server 2008Client Tools Backwards Compatibility1033Enterprise
Edition10.0.1600.22No
Sql Server 2008Client Tools SDK1033Enterprise Edition10.0.1600.22No
Sql Server 2008Integration Services1033Enterprise Edition10.0.1600.22No

_Who

Sorry,
I meant to sent it to a different group.
Guess I was in this one and thought I as in
microsoft.public.sqlserver.server.