New Beta FeedBurner Dashboard | Main | Daily Search Forum Recap:

Discussion in 'Java' started by Alex, Oct 28, 2010.

  1. Alex

    Alex Guest

    New Beta FeedBurner Dashboard | Main | Daily Search Forum Recap:
    October 26, 2010
    October 26, 2010
    Google: Different Algorithms Can Apply To Different Sites At Different
    Times

    A Google Webmaster Help thread has a very revealing, at least to me,
    post from a Googler about how the Google Algorithm works.

    Many people feel the Google Algorithm is a single, but large
    algorithm. But those who have been doing this for a while know that
    Google has many algorithms. When I covered the SEO 101 session, which
    is kinda funny, but I wanted to listen to Bruce Clay, it can be
    refreshing. I fed Bruce a question, that I knew he'd love to answer,
    about the Google algorithm. In short, I said Bing said they have over
    1000 ranking factors, but Google said about 200 - what's up with that.
    Bruce answered it like the pro he is and explained that "for a
    specific query, Google may use 200 or so factors, but they likely have
    thousands. but they use different algorithms for different search
    intent." (paraphrasing)

    That is spot on. For the first time that I've seen Google comment
    specifically about this.

    JohnMu said in the Google Webmaster Help thread:

    Various parts of our algorithms can apply to sites at different
    times, depending on what our algorithms find. While we initially
    rolled out this change earlier this year, the web changes, sites
    change, and with that, our algorithms will continually adapt to the
    current state on the web, on those sites. While it might be confusing
    to see these changes at the same time as this issue, they really
    aren't related, nor is this a general algorithm change (so if other
    sites have seen changes recently, it probably doesn't apply to them as
    well).

    This was in response to why one webmaster was complaining he was hit
    by the May Day search quality algorithm change. John explained that
    when it first launched, the algorithm likely didn't apply to his site,
    but as sites change, the algorithm will go out looking for matches and
    when it does, you might get a special look by that algorithm.

    Again, this is likely not new to many seniored SEOs but it is always
    gravy to find this in the forums by a Googler.

    Forum discussion at Google Webmaster Help.

    Like The Story? Vote For It On Yahoo Buzz! Or On Sphinn!
    11
    vote
    nowBuzz up!

    posted rustybrick in Google Optimization at October 26, 2010 9:03 AM
    Comments (8)

    Sphinn sphinn-favicon.png • Tweet This! Twitter-16x16.png • Digg digg-
    favicon.jpg • Delicious delicious-favicon.png • StumbleUpon delicious-
    favicon.png • Google Co-op google-favicon-16.png Cartoon Barry Says
    Socialize
    Comments

    gravy...ah, yup!!! this kind of confirmation is just that....BIG
    slurpy full-0-flavour gravy!!! where's the bread to do some dippin,
    eh?

    :)

    Jim

    Posted by Jim at October 26, 2010 14:49

    Interesting how John seemed to associate that one site with the MayDay
    Update (even though its issues began long after May). It would be nice
    to know what changed on that site to trigger the MayDay Effect.

    Posted by Michael Martinez at October 26, 2010 16:48

    I just go about my day knowing that the Google Algorithm is like Dark
    Matter...we know its there but we do not understand it!

    Posted by Thomas at October 26, 2010 17:15

    "Various parts of our algorithms can apply to sites at different
    times, depending on what our algorithms find. "

    Hmmm...looks like the algo has been looking in batches and not
    specific sites, a lot of people are having major traffic yo-yos this
    week.

    Posted by Me at October 27, 2010 03:45

    We had a site ranking really high for 1.5 years across all main terms.
    We got through the May update, then made changes (due to client) to
    about 50% of site, and structure. We 301'd and updated XML map, but
    have never since got back to page one for main term. That was end July
    we made the update... May day indeed.

    Posted by neil davies at October 27, 2010 05:37

    I believe that Google is now placing more emphasis than ever on
    content.
    There have been a few updates recently and it seems as though content
    has been one of the major changes with Google's algorithm

    Posted by No Name at October 27, 2010 06:00

    yes I think so too. We had a lot of well refined content which was re-
    written. We also had a lot of semi repetitive content which seems to
    have been devalued in some cases. I think after the updates in May any
    site changes reflect the other algos which G is using, so you could
    have a robust site which later gets penalised when content changes.
    Keep it unique, keep it useful and don't stuff keywords in!

    Posted by neil davies at October 27, 2010 08:28

    I try to explain to clients that Google's ranking mechanisms are like
    rope, made up of different fibers (ie, tied up algos). On top of that,
    different ropes (with different fibers) are used for different
    verticals and intent.

    Seems to get the point across most of the time :)

    Posted by Bill Sebald at October 27, 2010 13:37
    Post a comment (Note: Can Take 120 Seconds For Your Comment To Show
    Up)

    Name: Email Address:

    Do you want us to save your personal Information?
    Yes

    * Authors
    * OUR Forums
    * THE Forums
    * Archives
    * More Info

    Premium Sponsors + advertise
    All Out on the Table
    Recent Table Activity

    * 30 Most Recent Comments
    * 50 Most Recent Articles
    * Tag Cloud
    * Donate

    SEM Forum Threads

    * Cre8asite Forums
    Accepted Engagement With Seomoz
    What If You Dont Copyright Your Images?
    * Search Engine Watch Forums:
    Is this true?
    My Facebook Got Binged
    * WebmasterWorld Forums:
    AdWords Quality Score Bug Fix...
    Google To Give 3 Months...
    * Digital Point Forums:
    [WTS] Sponsors BlackMagazine...
    [WTT] 3 Gaming website for link exchange

    * Internet Marketing Company
    * Jerry West - SEO Testing
    * SEO
    * Search engine optimisation
    * SEO India
    * Search Engine Optimization
    * Miami Web Design
    * Search Engine Marketing
    * PPC Campaign Management
    * Internet Marketing
    * SEO Services UK
    * SEO from SEOClock.co.uk
    * Web Starts Shopping Cart.com

    Search Engine Round Table

    * Submit a Thread
    * Forum Search
    * Awards
    * About Us
    * Seals
    * Advertise
    * Contact

    Search Term

    To subscribe to the Search Engine Roundtable, click here
    Rustybrick, INC

    Home | Archives | Authors | OUR Forums | THE Forums | Forum Search |
    Awards | Seals | Advertise | Contact

    The content at the Search Engine Roundtable are the sole opinion of
    the authors and in no way reflect views of RustyBrick ®, Inc

    Copyright © 1994-2010 RustyBrick ®, Inc. Web Development All Rights
    Reserved.

    This work by Search Engine Roundtable is licensed under a Creative
    Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License. Creative Commons
    License
    Alex, Oct 28, 2010

  2. Alex

    Lew Guest

    Alex wrote:
    > New Beta FeedBurner Dashboard | Main | Daily Search Forum Recap:

    Why are you spamming the newsgroup with off-topic plagiarized web sites? Did
    you somehow think there just isn't enough spam here already? Hm? Perhaps you
    are a minion of Satan? What is your story?

    Stop now, please.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Oct 28, 2010