New C/C++/OpenGL Software Tutorial

Bushido Hacks

My name is Bushido Hacks. I am a computer science major from the St.
Louis, Missouri area. I wrote a new software installation tutorial for
C and C++ programmer who want to create programs as well as programs
that use OpenGL. My new tutorial is posted at
http://www.bushidohacks.com/tutorials/gcc.php

The tutorial is informative for anyone who has a REAL interest in
object-oriented programming. It is NOT some phoney balogna sales pitch
from some TV university to become a "game programmer". These are
instructions for installing open source software with serious
professional standard programming tools with simple instructions.

Included with this tutorial are a few batch files and links to some
great resources to information related to C, C++, and OpenGL.

Thank you for reading this message.

jacob navia

Bushido said:
My name is Bushido Hacks. I am a computer science major from the St.
Louis, Missouri area. I wrote a new software installation tutorial for
C and C++ programmer who want to create programs as well as programs
that use OpenGL. My new tutorial is posted at
http://www.bushidohacks.com/tutorials/gcc.php

The tutorial is informative for anyone who has a REAL interest in
object-oriented programming. It is NOT some phoney balogna sales pitch
from some TV university to become a "game programmer". These are
instructions for installing open source software with serious
professional standard programming tools with simple instructions.

Included with this tutorial are a few batch files and links to some
great resources to information related to C, C++, and OpenGL.

Thank you for reading this message.
This is for C++ only.

Why not a C interface?

Bushido Hacks

I knew I was going to get this question. I set things up for C++ so if
any C programmers wanted to use this tutorial, they can downshift or
downgrade to C programming.

In most cases, if you want to use C instead of C++, use gcc instead of
g++.

jacob navia

BobR said:
Because C++ has class! :-}

Great. C++ has class!

C doesn't. It is a low level, lower class language. The higher ups
think lower classes are bad, simple, without any sophistication.

Looking at the higher ups, the low level guys laugh at
their "manners" their incredible complex and baroque customs...

Why say:
Mytype foo = Init_New_Foo(5,"some name");
???

Just hide it within a facial makeup of layers and layers
of complexity, put some white powder, some parfum, and...
there, you have class!!!!

:)

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo

BobR said:
Because C++ has class! :-}

Some years ago, at the ISO club:
"There is a new candidate for membership, it's called C++"
"Do you know him?"
"No, but it has good references"

Wolfgang Draxinger

BobR said:
Because C++ has class! :-}

And? You can do OOP also with pure C, too. Having classes just
simplifies the task a bit, but with the right framework you
don't need it. Have a look at GObject, which adds OOP to good
old C.

You may consider me a walking C++ reference book but I'm not
using C++ in my private projects. Frankly, a language, which's
specification is over 750 pages and building a compiler requires
incorporating some heuristics went somewhere wrong within it's
development. The real problem is, that when the concept of
templates was concieved nobody predicted their potential, so a
lot of mistakes were made which now still taint the language.

Wolfgang Draxinger

Keith Thompson

Wolfgang Draxinger said:
And? You can do OOP also with pure C, too.

And?

The original article was inappropriately cross-posted to comp.lang.c++
and comp.lang.c (as well as comp.graphics.api.opengl and stl.general).
Let's not allow a spammer to trigger a C vs. C++ flame war, ok?

jbwest

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) (e-mail address removed)
<http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>

Especially one who can't spell woth a damn. :)
jbw

BobR

Keith Thompson wrote in message ...
And?

The original article was inappropriately cross-posted to comp.lang.c++
and comp.lang.c (as well as comp.graphics.api.opengl and stl.general).
Let's not allow a spammer to trigger a C vs. C++ flame war, ok?

Yeah, lighten up Wolfy (sorry Mr. Draxinger). It was a pun, like "the dame
made it to high society because she had class." (and C++ has keyword
'class').
It was "pun"ish meant. (get it, punishment? <G>)

As far as the language, I heard that C++ was 'invented' as a faster way to
write C. As far as I know, there is nothing you could do in one that couldn't
be done in the other with a little effort.
So, put that in your glCallList() and render it! <G> <<---note the grin.

[ Jeesh, I didn't mean to upset anyone! My gawd, I even put a smiley on the
end! ]

SirMike

I ignore fact that is the group about c++ language.

I found very funny thing on you page.

"# Dia (for Linux) - An open source drawing program that draws UML
diagrams, similar to Rational Rose. Requires GTK+ Runtime Library"

ROTFL - how can you compare Dia and Rational Rose?

Wolfgang Draxinger

Keith said:
And?

The original article was inappropriately cross-posted to
comp.lang.c++ and comp.lang.c (as well as
comp.graphics.api.opengl and stl.general). Let's not allow a
spammer to trigger a C vs. C++ flame war, ok?

This was not meant to an offense, I just don't see, why the
existence of classes alone should let someone favour C++ over C.
C++ offers a lot of syntactic sugar, which C doesn't. Free
speach also applies to programming, so use the language you
favour. But don't use silly arguments to discriminate one
language over another.

That I don't use C++ in new projects anymore comes from the fact,
that it is deliberately difficult to develop helper tools, that
dig into the code and do the boring stuff for you. Oftenly it
ends in ugly hacks (gcc-xml) or in constrainging the language
features you may use in code that is to be
analyzed/extended/whatever by helper tools (see Qt and its MOC
for an example). Another thing, that C++ is lacking (IMHO of
course) is a basic support for complex data typed. Even for the
smallest array one has to develop his own container; well
there's STL, but by writing std::vector<your_type> you're
practically expanding a macro adding _a lot_ of code that wants
to be compiled, too.

Anyway C++ is a great language and it has done a lot for the
computer sciences, but development never stops. Java was the
next step and C#, too. There are also other languages with high
potential, like D.

Never stop learning !!!

Wolfgang Draxinger