    Included with this tutorial are a few batch files and links to some
    great resources to information related to C, C++, and OpenGL.

    Thank you for reading this message.
    Bushido Hacks, Nov 6, 2006

  2. Bushido Hacks

    jacob navia Guest

    Bushido Hacks wrote:
    > My name is Bushido Hacks. I am a computer science major from the St.
    > Louis, Missouri area. I wrote a new software installation tutorial for
    > C and C++ programmer who want to create programs as well as programs
    > that use OpenGL. My new tutorial is posted at
    > http://www.bushidohacks.com/tutorials/gcc.php
    >
    > The tutorial is informative for anyone who has a REAL interest in
    > object-oriented programming. It is NOT some phoney balogna sales pitch
    > from some TV university to become a "game programmer". These are
    > instructions for installing open source software with serious
    > professional standard programming tools with simple instructions.
    >
    > Included with this tutorial are a few batch files and links to some
    > great resources to information related to C, C++, and OpenGL.
    >
    > Thank you for reading this message.

    This is for C++ only.

    Why not a C interface?
    jacob navia, Nov 6, 2006

  3. I knew I was going to get this question. I set things up for C++ so if
    any C programmers wanted to use this tutorial, they can downshift or
    downgrade to C programming.

    In most cases, if you want to use C instead of C++, use gcc instead of
    g++.

    Bushido Hacks, Nov 6, 2006
  4. Bushido Hacks

    BobR Guest

    jacob navia wrote in message <454f7e86$0$5091$>...
    >Bushido Hacks wrote:
    >> My new tutorial is posted at
    >> http://www.bushidohacks.com/tutorials/gcc.php
    >>

    >This is for C++ only.
    >
    >Why not a C interface?

    Because C++ has class! :-}

    --
    Bob <G> R
    POVrookie
    BobR, Nov 6, 2006
  5. Bushido Hacks

    jacob navia Guest

    BobR wrote:
    > jacob navia wrote in message <454f7e86$0$5091$>...
    >
    >>Bushido Hacks wrote:
    >>
    >>> My new tutorial is posted at
    >>>http://www.bushidohacks.com/tutorials/gcc.php
    >>>

    >>This is for C++ only.
    >>
    >>Why not a C interface?

    > Because C++ has class! :-}
    >
    > --
    > Bob <G> R
    > POVrookie

    Great. C++ has class!

    C doesn't. It is a low level, lower class language. The higher ups
    think lower classes are bad, simple, without any sophistication.

    Looking at the higher ups, the low level guys laugh at
    their "manners" their incredible complex and baroque customs...

    Why say:
    Mytype foo = Init_New_Foo(5,"some name");
    ???

    Just hide it within a facial makeup of layers and layers
    of complexity, put some white powder, some parfum, and...
    there, you have class!!!!

    :)
    jacob navia, Nov 7, 2006
  6. BobR wrote:

    > Because C++ has class! :-}

    Some years ago, at the ISO club:
    "There is a new candidate for membership, it's called C++"
    "Do you know him?"
    "No, but it has good references"

    --
    Salu2
    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo, Nov 7, 2006
  7. Bushido Hacks

    CBFalconer Guest

    BobR wrote:
    > jacob navia wrote
    >> Bushido Hacks wrote:

    >>> My new tutorial is posted at
    >>> http://www.bushidohacks.com/tutorials/gcc.php
    >>>

    >> This is for C++ only.
    >>
    >> Why not a C interface?

    > Because C++ has class! :-}

    And is off-topic on c.l.c. f'ups set.

    <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>
    CBFalconer, Nov 7, 2006
  8. BobR wrote:

    > Because C++ has class! :-}

    And? You can do OOP also with pure C, too. Having classes just
    simplifies the task a bit, but with the right framework you
    don't need it. Have a look at GObject, which adds OOP to good
    old C.

    You may consider me a walking C++ reference book but I'm not
    using C++ in my private projects. Frankly, a language, which's
    specification is over 750 pages and building a compiler requires
    incorporating some heuristics went somewhere wrong within it's
    development. The real problem is, that when the concept of
    templates was concieved nobody predicted their potential, so a
    lot of mistakes were made which now still taint the language.

    Wolfgang Draxinger
    --
    E-Mail address works, Jabber: , ICQ: 134682867
    Wolfgang Draxinger, Nov 7, 2006
  9. Wolfgang Draxinger <> writes:
    > BobR wrote:
    >
    >> Because C++ has class! :-}

    > And? You can do OOP also with pure C, too.

    And?

    The original article was inappropriately cross-posted to comp.lang.c++
    and comp.lang.c (as well as comp.graphics.api.opengl and stl.general).
    Let's not allow a spammer to trigger a C vs. C++ flame war, ok?

    Keith Thompson, Nov 7, 2006
  10. Bushido Hacks

    BobR Guest

    Julián Albo wrote in message <>...
    >BobR wrote:

    >> Because C++ has class! :-}

    >Some years ago, at the ISO club:
    >"There is a new candidate for membership, it's called C++"
    >"Do you know him?"
    >"No, but it has good references"

    >Salu2

    Now that's classic jocularity!!

    --
    Bob R
    POVrookie
    BobR, Nov 7, 2006
  11. Bushido Hacks

    jbwest Guest

    "Keith Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > Wolfgang Draxinger <> writes:
    >> BobR wrote:
    >>
    >>> Because C++ has class! :-}

    >> And? You can do OOP also with pure C, too.

    > And?
    >
    > The original article was inappropriately cross-posted to comp.lang.c++
    > and comp.lang.c (as well as comp.graphics.api.opengl and stl.general).
    > Let's not allow a spammer to trigger a C vs. C++ flame war, ok?
    >
    > --
    > Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith)
    > <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
    > San Diego Supercomputer Center <*>
    > <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>

    Especially one who can't spell woth a damn. :)
    jbw
    jbwest, Nov 7, 2006
  12. Bushido Hacks

    BobR Guest

    Keith Thompson wrote in message ...
    >Wolfgang Draxinger <> writes:
    >> BobR wrote:
    >>
    >>> Because C++ has class! :-}

    >> And? You can do OOP also with pure C, too.

    >And?
    >
    >The original article was inappropriately cross-posted to comp.lang.c++
    >and comp.lang.c (as well as comp.graphics.api.opengl and stl.general).
    >Let's not allow a spammer to trigger a C vs. C++ flame war, ok?

    Yeah, lighten up Wolfy (sorry Mr. Draxinger). It was a pun, like "the dame
    made it to high society because she had class." (and C++ has keyword
    'class').
    It was "pun"ish meant. (get it, punishment? <G>)

    As far as the language, I heard that C++ was 'invented' as a faster way to
    write C. As far as I know, there is nothing you could do in one that couldn't
    be done in the other with a little effort.
    So, put that in your glCallList() and render it! <G> <<---note the grin.

    [ Jeesh, I didn't mean to upset anyone! My gawd, I even put a smiley on the
    end! ]
    --
    Bob R
    POVrookie
    BobR, Nov 7, 2006
  13. Bushido Hacks

    Richard Bos Guest

    "BobR" <> wrote:

    > jacob navia wrote in message <454f7e86$0$5091$>...
    > >Bushido Hacks wrote:
    > >> My new tutorial is posted at
    > >> http://www.bushidohacks.com/tutorials/gcc.php
    > >>

    > >This is for C++ only.
    > >
    > >Why not a C interface?

    > Because C++ has class! :-}

    Yeah, and it needs to take some more. ;->

    Richard
    Richard Bos, Nov 7, 2006
  14. Bushido Hacks

    SirMike Guest

    I ignore fact that is the group about c++ language.

    I found very funny thing on you page.

    "# Dia (for Linux) - An open source drawing program that draws UML
    diagrams, similar to Rational Rose. Requires GTK+ Runtime Library"

    ROTFL - how can you compare Dia and Rational Rose?

    --
    SirMike - http://www.sirmike.org

    C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but
    when you do, it blows away your whole leg. - Bjarne Stroustrup
    SirMike, Nov 7, 2006
  15. Keith Thompson wrote:

    > Wolfgang Draxinger <> writes:
    >> BobR wrote:
    >>
    >>> Because C++ has class! :-}

    >> And? You can do OOP also with pure C, too.

    > And?
    >
    > The original article was inappropriately cross-posted to
    > comp.lang.c++ and comp.lang.c (as well as
    > comp.graphics.api.opengl and stl.general). Let's not allow a
    > spammer to trigger a C vs. C++ flame war, ok?

    This was not meant to an offense, I just don't see, why the
    existence of classes alone should let someone favour C++ over C.
    C++ offers a lot of syntactic sugar, which C doesn't. Free
    speach also applies to programming, so use the language you
    favour. But don't use silly arguments to discriminate one
    language over another.

    That I don't use C++ in new projects anymore comes from the fact,
    that it is deliberately difficult to develop helper tools, that
    dig into the code and do the boring stuff for you. Oftenly it
    ends in ugly hacks (gcc-xml) or in constrainging the language
    features you may use in code that is to be
    analyzed/extended/whatever by helper tools (see Qt and its MOC
    for an example). Another thing, that C++ is lacking (IMHO of
    course) is a basic support for complex data typed. Even for the
    smallest array one has to develop his own container; well
    there's STL, but by writing std::vector<your_type> you're
    practically expanding a macro adding _a lot_ of code that wants
    to be compiled, too.

    Anyway C++ is a great language and it has done a lot for the
    computer sciences, but development never stops. Java was the
    next step and C#, too. There are also other languages with high
    potential, like D.

    Never stop learning !!!

    Wolfgang Draxinger
    --
    E-Mail address works, Jabber: , ICQ: 134682867
    Wolfgang Draxinger, Nov 7, 2006