New chairman

Sverker Nilsson

seems to be needed

He doesn't seem to care much anyway now

Or if he cares, he have many other assignments

So should we try to elect a new chairman?

I am probably not eligible. There must be many others.!

Do you dare?consper

S.

Andrii V. Mishkovskyi

2008/5/27 Sverker Nilsson said:
seems to be needed

He doesn't seem to care much anyway now

Or if he cares, he have many other assignments

Who are you talking about?
So should we try to elect a new chairman?

Chairman? Elaborate please.
I am probably not eligible. There must be many others.!

Do you dare?consper

Hm, are you and castrionpi twin brothers or something?

Sverker Nilsson

I was talking about Guido van Rossum

The one who decides, so far when people agree

But we can make a new fork

He is the originator, but now it seems, for me, it is hanging out in
the air

So we need some new leadership

From somebody, somebody like you perhaps. Or me.

Sverker

Diez B. Roggisch

Sverker said:
I was talking about Guido van Rossum

The one who decides, so far when people agree

But we can make a new fork

Good luck with that. Weren't you the one concerned about changes in Py3K
that forced you to change your memory profiler? Now you want to introduce a
*third* codebase beside python2.x and python3.x? Interesting course of
action.
He is the originator, but now it seems, for me, it is hanging out in
the air

Why do you think so? Because you don't like Py3K?
So we need some new leadership

From somebody, somebody like you perhaps. Or me.

Well - be my guest to form your own cult.

Diez

Sverker Nilsson

Good luck to you to. Its just that it .. well it has never been easy
for me to introduce Python at work. This py3k, if I like it or not, is
not making it easier.

Praktical, pragmatic, you know --- as I said, its not broken so lets
brake it

I just try to get things to work. And with some style too. Their
connected. I think a 6 cylinder engine is one of the most stylist
things there are. And when I was at a museum in Stocholm, I saw Henry
Fords original enginge and was amazed, it looks just like the one in
dads car.

Its not about changing and yes I dislike py3k, till somebody can
convince me otherwise

Guido just seems to not care to post here anyways, so we can try to
make our own branch/business

S.

Andrii V. Mishkovskyi

2008/5/27 Sverker Nilsson said:
I dont want to be a new Guido. Somebody else please.

Please, explain why should we fork Python? Because Python 3.0 will
have 'print' as a function, not as a statement, am I right? Or maybe
the reason is a major breakage of C API in Python 3.0, so that
Guppy-PE/Heapy will both need a complete re-write? There is a
rationale for these changes and you've been told about it several
times, but you don't care much to listen.
Well, anyway, nobody stops you from forking a project called
'Python'. Python is free software, as you know.

Diez B. Roggisch

Good luck to you to. Its just that it .. well it has never been easy
for me to introduce Python at work. This py3k, if I like it or not, is
not making it easier.

And creating a fork makes it easier?
Praktical, pragmatic, you know --- as I said, its not broken so lets
brake it

Again - creating a fork makes that better?
I just try to get things to work. And with some style too. Their
connected. I think a 6 cylinder engine is one of the most stylist
things there are. And when I was at a museum in Stocholm, I saw Henry
Fords original enginge and was amazed, it looks just like the one in
dads car.

This is a castironpi-esque metaphor. Guess what, I have an ever older one:
the wheels used by roman circus race wagons essentially look the same as on
a formula one car. Round, with a hub in the middle.

Now how about you throw that computers of your out of the window because it
is technology not available in ancient rome, and as change is bad according
to your view- away with it!
Its not about changing and yes I dislike py3k, till somebody can
convince me otherwise

Guido just seems to not care to post here anyways, so we can try to
make our own branch/business

Again: how is that going to help?

You argue that a *fork* is what helps mitigating the problems *a fork called
Py3K* introduces (in your opinion). Now why do you think your company is
more likely to adopt the language "Sverker Nilsson his own fork of Python
that no one else cares about and that won't be supported" - short
SNHOFOPTNOECAATWBS?

If you don't like change - stick to python 2.5. Or whatever suits you.

For the umpteenth time: how is that going to help you with your "don't
change" issues?

Diez

Matimus

I was talking about Guido van Rossum

The one who decides, so far when people agree

But we can make a new fork

He is the originator, but now it seems, for me, it is hanging out in
the air

So we need some new leadership

From somebody, somebody like you perhaps. Or me.

Sverker

Guido is the BDFL: Benevolent Dictator For Life. He was not elected.
If you want new leadership in Python it won't be done via a vote, it
will be via a coup. You will need to create your own community (and
probably fork of Python) that is superior to the existing version. So
much that people decide to migrate from one to the other.

Any conversation that leads to such a communal fork would probably
begin with discussing things that should be done differently in Python
and garnering support.

Personally, what I like _most_ about python is the community. Guido
played a large part in establishing this community. If you put
together a coherent argument regarding the future of Python people
will listen, including Guido.

Matt

Sverker Nilsson

I am probably bad too, I just don't think there is a good rationale.
That's the issue.

Now I 'have' to leave but keep up the conversation if you like.
Looking forward to see your comments.

S.

Kay Schluehr

I was talking about Guido van Rossum

The one who decides, so far when people agree

But we can make a new fork

He is the originator, but now it seems, for me, it is hanging out in
the air

So we need some new leadership

From somebody, somebody like you perhaps. Or me.

Sverker

Not sure what you are talking about? Do you mean that Python 2.X shall
be advanced independently instead of being some legacy branch while
Python 3.X is the proposed future of all Python?

Max M

Sverker Nilsson skrev:
I was talking about Guido van Rossum

The one who decides, so far when people agree

I have been using Python since the nineties. I cannot remember when I
have had to rewrite old code because of changes in the language.

At the same time I have been feeling as if I was sitting in a time
machine watching other languages whoosh by at breakneck speed.

Entire technologies have been developed to make programming as practical
and easy as it has been in Python the entire time.

So I find it hard to see exactly what it is that Guido is doing wrong?

--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/
IT's Mad Science

Gary Herron

Max said:
Sverker Nilsson skrev:

I have been using Python since the nineties. I cannot remember when I
have had to rewrite old code because of changes in the language.

At the same time I have been feeling as if I was sitting in a time
machine watching other languages whoosh by at breakneck speed.

Entire technologies have been developed to make programming as
practical and easy as it has been in Python the entire time.

So I find it hard to see exactly what it is that Guido is doing wrong?
Please don't feed the trolls.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll#Troll_FAQs)

Benjamin

Good luck to you to. Its just that it .. well it has never been easy
for me to introduce Python at work. This py3k, if I like it or not, is
not making it easier.

Praktical, pragmatic, you know --- as I said, its not broken so lets
brake it

I just try to get things to work. And with some style too. Their
connected. I think a 6 cylinder engine is one of the most stylist
things there are. And when I was at a museum in Stocholm, I saw Henry
Fords original enginge and was amazed, it looks just like the one in
dads car.

Its not about changing and yes I dislike py3k, till somebody can
convince me otherwise

Guido just seems to not care to post here anyways, so we can try to
make our own branch/business

Do you have any idea how brilliant Guido is? The reason he's not here
tending to your Python war wounds is that he's busy making important
decisions on python-dev and python-3000. Maintaining a programming
language is like raising 50 very unruly children, and Guido has done
an excellent job.