New characters added when toggling Between Design & HTML Mode in Web Form Editor

timburda

Presently, when I add a new webform to asp.net project and begin
filling out the content of the form, I am getting additional characters
added to the HTML which appears in the HTML editor of the .NET IDE.

The characters (such as ? or the strange windows box) appear throughout
the document. If I remove the character, it disappears but then
re-appears next time I switch between "Design" and "HTML".

I am guessing it has something to do with a character set someplace, I
just don't where.

Also, for some reason, when I create a new webform, the following tag
is added to the <head> section:

<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
charset=windows-1252">

I would appreciate any help people can give me on this topic, or if you
need more information, please let me know.

Thanks -

Tim

jasonkester

Ah. Your error is that you are attempting to use the Design mode in
VS.NET. Nobody actually uses that. It's there as a marketing bullet
point, and possibly to distract Junior devs from writing actual code.
Try not to use it.

In early versions of VS.NET, using the Design mode would reformat all
your HTML to an ureadable state, and then simply render your page
unusable by unhooking the OnLoad event on the codebehind. That's
solved now, but most developers are still wary of going back.

If you decide to stick with it, and actually get it to work for you,
let us know!

Jason Kester
Expat Software Consulting Services
http://www.expatsoftware.com/