New; comp.lang.javascript Newbie FAQ

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Matt Kruse, Jun 2, 2006.

  1. Matt Kruse

    Matt Kruse Guest

    Many of the same statements are repeated in here over and over when replying
    to new users of this group.

    So, I've created a "comp.lang.javascript Newbie FAQ" which is short and to
    the point. It provides some tips and information that many here might want
    to point out to some posters in this group.
    http://www.javascripttoolbox.com/clj/

    Table Of Contents
    -----------------
    Newsgroup FAQ
    How To Correctly Reply To Posts
    How To Write Posts That Get Answered
    Follow Best Practices

    Feel free to point people to this page if you're annoyed about the google
    groups reply, or if they didn't read the FAQ, etc.

    Any opinions?

    --
    Matt Kruse
    http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com

    Matt Kruse, Jun 2, 2006

  2. Matt Kruse

    Erwin Moller Guest

    Matt Kruse wrote:

    > Many of the same statements are repeated in here over and over when
    > replying to new users of this group.
    >
    > So, I've created a "comp.lang.javascript Newbie FAQ" which is short and to
    > the point. It provides some tips and information that many here might want
    > to point out to some posters in this group.
    > http://www.javascripttoolbox.com/clj/
    >
    > Table Of Contents
    > -----------------
    > Newsgroup FAQ
    > How To Correctly Reply To Posts
    > How To Write Posts That Get Answered
    > Follow Best Practices
    >
    > Feel free to point people to this page if you're annoyed about the google
    > groups reply, or if they didn't read the FAQ, etc.
    >
    > Any opinions?

    Hi Matt,

    Good initiative.
    Problem with newbies is that they don't read the FAQ most of the times. But
    we can direct them there (or to jibbering of course).

    Best of luck with your long charity walk tomorrow. :)

    Regards,
    Erwin Moller

    Erwin Moller, Jun 2, 2006

  3. JRS: In article <>, dated Fri, 2 Jun 2006
    00:27:01 remote, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript, Matt Kruse
    <> posted :
    >Many of the same statements are repeated in here over and over when replying
    >to new users of this group.
    >
    >So, I've created a "comp.lang.javascript Newbie FAQ" which is short and to
    >the point. It provides some tips and information that many here might want
    >to point out to some posters in this group.
    >http://www.javascripttoolbox.com/clj/
    >
    >Table Of Contents
    >-----------------
    >Newsgroup FAQ
    >How To Correctly Reply To Posts
    >How To Write Posts That Get Answered
    >Follow Best Practices
    >
    >Feel free to point people to this page if you're annoyed about the google
    >groups reply, or if they didn't read the FAQ, etc.
    >
    >Any opinions?

    If this is posted again, ISTM that it would be well to include the URL
    of the newsgroup FAQ in the news article itself.

    If yours is to be considered a **CLJ** Newbie FAQ, ISTM that at a
    minimum it should be regularly announced in the newsgroup - not just in
    a typical article, but in one with FAQ in its Subject.

    <FAQENTRY> If it appears that this Newbie FAQ is generally approved of,
    then it should be cited in the comp.lang.javascript FAQ proper.
    </FAQENTRY>

    AT LEAST while the FAQ proper is not being posted to the group, ISTM
    that it would be well for someone who (unlike myself) can control a
    suitable CRON job or similar to post, say weekly, a short "About the
    c.l.j FAQs" stating the current position with respect to the FAQ proper,
    the Newbie FAQ, etc., including URLs.

    Someone said, somewhere, recently (this month?) that the Google Reply
    action has changed - is that so?

    Dr John Stockton, Jun 19, 2006