New; comp.lang.javascript Newbie FAQ

Matt Kruse

Many of the same statements are repeated in here over and over when replying
to new users of this group.

So, I've created a "comp.lang.javascript Newbie FAQ" which is short and to
the point. It provides some tips and information that many here might want
to point out to some posters in this group.
http://www.javascripttoolbox.com/clj/

Table Of Contents
-----------------
Newsgroup FAQ
How To Correctly Reply To Posts
How To Write Posts That Get Answered
Follow Best Practices

Feel free to point people to this page if you're annoyed about the google
groups reply, or if they didn't read the FAQ, etc.

Any opinions?

Erwin Moller

Matt said:
Many of the same statements are repeated in here over and over when
replying to new users of this group.

So, I've created a "comp.lang.javascript Newbie FAQ" which is short and to
the point. It provides some tips and information that many here might want
to point out to some posters in this group.
http://www.javascripttoolbox.com/clj/

Table Of Contents
-----------------
Newsgroup FAQ
How To Correctly Reply To Posts
How To Write Posts That Get Answered
Follow Best Practices

Feel free to point people to this page if you're annoyed about the google
groups reply, or if they didn't read the FAQ, etc.

Any opinions?

Hi Matt,

Good initiative.
Problem with newbies is that they don't read the FAQ most of the times. But
we can direct them there (or to jibbering of course).

Best of luck with your long charity walk tomorrow. :)

Regards,
Erwin Moller

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>, dated Fri, 2 Jun 2006
00:27:01 remote, seen in Matt Kruse
Many of the same statements are repeated in here over and over when replying
to new users of this group.

So, I've created a "comp.lang.javascript Newbie FAQ" which is short and to
the point. It provides some tips and information that many here might want
to point out to some posters in this group.
http://www.javascripttoolbox.com/clj/

Table Of Contents
-----------------
Newsgroup FAQ
How To Correctly Reply To Posts
How To Write Posts That Get Answered
Follow Best Practices

Feel free to point people to this page if you're annoyed about the google
groups reply, or if they didn't read the FAQ, etc.

Any opinions?

If this is posted again, ISTM that it would be well to include the URL
of the newsgroup FAQ in the news article itself.

If yours is to be considered a **CLJ** Newbie FAQ, ISTM that at a
minimum it should be regularly announced in the newsgroup - not just in
a typical article, but in one with FAQ in its Subject.

<FAQENTRY> If it appears that this Newbie FAQ is generally approved of,
then it should be cited in the comp.lang.javascript FAQ proper.
</FAQENTRY>

AT LEAST while the FAQ proper is not being posted to the group, ISTM
that it would be well for someone who (unlike myself) can control a
suitable CRON job or similar to post, say weekly, a short "About the
c.l.j FAQs" stating the current position with respect to the FAQ proper,
the Newbie FAQ, etc., including URLs.

Someone said, somewhere, recently (this month?) that the Google Reply
action has changed - is that so?