new comp.lang.python mirror at lampfroums.org--any Linux, Apache, MYSQL, Python Apps?

Discussion in 'Python' started by astro, Dec 8, 2004.

  1. astro

    astro Guest

    Hello all,
    We have set up new linux, apache, mysql, python, perl, and php forum
    at http://lampforums.org .

    comp.lang.python is at: http://lampforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18

    The interface allows your posts to appear immediately on the forums
    and also to private message other users.

    Your posts will appear on the usenet too.

    We've also started a number of forums devoted to popular LAM
    applications such as oscommerce, cafelog, postnuke, phpnuke, gallery
    coppermine, and more, for which there aren't any specific usene
    groups.

    I've used a few python applications, but what are the most popular LAM
    (Python) CMS's?

    Please let us know if you'd like to see any more forums.

    The LAMP forums include:

    alt.apache.configuration
    comp.lang.perl.misc
    comp.lang.php
    comp.lang.python
    comp.os.linux.hardware
    comp.os.linux.misc
    comp.os.linux.networking
    comp.os.linux.setup
    mailing.database.mysql

    The LAMP application forums include:

    LAMP Open Source Portals
    Drupal Geeklog Mambo Open Source PHP-Nuke phpWCMS phpWebS

    Open Source LAMP Content Management Systems
    CMS, Postnuke, PHPnuke, Drupal, Mambo

    Open Source LAMP Ecommerce
    Oscommerce, Zen Cart, CubeCart

    Open Source LAMP Wiki
    phpwiki, tikiwiki.org

    LAMP Open Source Photo Management
    Gallery, Coppermine

    Open Source LAMP Mailing Lists
    phplist

    Open Source LAMP Blogs
    b2evolution Nucleus pMachine Free WordPres

    Open Source LAMP Forums / Bulletin Boards: phpBB2, SMF, phorum
    phpBB2 SMF phorum

    LAMP Open Source CMS Polls: Advanced Poll , phpESP, PHPSurveyor
    Advanced Poll phpESP PHPSurveyor

    Please let us know what other forums/features you would like to see a
    http://lampforums.org .

    --
    astr
    astro's Profile: http://lampforums.org/member.php?userid=

    astro, Dec 8, 2004

  2. astro

    astro Guest

    The top of the page at http://lampforums.org has a few places where LAM
    is spelled out as Linux, Apache, MYSQL, and PHP/Perl/Python.

    I could make it more clear, I suppose--any suggestions as to how t
    word it would be great!

    The LAMP acronym has been around for awhile--I think there are even
    few books with LAMP in the title.

    I think that most people on here knows what it stands for, but I coul
    be wrong.

    Thanks for the feedback!

    And any feedback on specific the re-wording of the page would b
    great.

    Also, what are everyone's favorite python applications for conten
    management/blogging/etc?

    Best,

    Ellio

    astro, Dec 8, 2004

  3. astro

    Terry Reedy Guest

    Re: new comp.lang.python mirror at lampfroums.org--any Linux, Apache,MYSQL, Python Apps?

    "astro" <> wrote in message

    > Hello all,
    > We have set up new linux, apache, mysql, python, perl, and php forums
    > at http://lampforums.org .

    Perhaps you could say at the top of that page what LAMP means.
    My guess: Linux-Apache-Mysql-Planguage -- but why that particular
    selection? Just to have a cute acronym? Why not other open souce
    programs/languages? If you are successful, you will get visitors who are
    even more puzzled than me.

    Terry J. Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Dec 8, 2004
  4. astro

    "astro" <> wrote in message

    > The top of the page at http://lampforums.org has a few places where LAMP
    > is spelled out as Linux, Apache, MYSQL, and PHP/Perl/Python.

    Once I understood that that is what you are doing, it became obvious that
    that is what you are doing. LAMPPP, LAM3P, or LAMP3 would be even more
    obvious.

    > I could make it more clear, I suppose--any suggestions as to how to
    > word it would be great!

    "Lamp is a shortened acronym for Linux, Apache, MYSQL, and PHP/Perl/Python.
    These open-source programs are grouped together because many programmers
    use them together (usually selecting just one of the P programs) to drive
    web sites."

    Am I to presume that open-source alternatives to each of the above are both
    excluded and used less often? Or at least not used much by your target
    audience?

    > The LAMP acronym has been around for awhile--I think there are even a
    > few books with LAMP in the title.

    Whereas this is my second or third exposure, with the first that made an
    impression coming earlier this year. A list of those books might help some
    people, and would establish that LAMP is an established concept.

    The FAQ seems not to exist.

    Terry J. Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Dec 9, 2004
  5. Re: new comp.lang.python mirror at lampfroums.org--any Linux, Apache,MYSQL, Python Apps?

    Terry Reedy wrote:

    > Whereas this is my second or third exposure, with the first that made an impression coming earlier
    > this year. A list of those books might help some people, and would establish that LAMP is an
    > established concept.

    the LAMP concept has been pushed by O'Reilly and others since
    early 2001:

    http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/01/25/lamp.html

    I'm not sure how you've managed to miss it...

    </F>

    Fredrik Lundh, Dec 9, 2004
  6. astro

    astro Guest

    Thanks for the feedback.

    I linked to Oreilly's onlamp.com article at:

    http://lampforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36

    What is LAMP?

    LAMP is an acronym for Linux, Apache, MYSQL/Postgres, an
    PHP/Perl/Python/Ruby.

    These open-source efforts offer ever-increasing power and versatility.

    In 2001, Dale Dougherty wrote at Oreilly's
    href=http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/01/25/lamp.html :

    "Several months ago, David Axmark and Monty Widenius of the MySQL tea
    visited us in Sebastopol and they dropped a new term in our laps: LAMP
    This term was popular in Germany, they said, to define how MySQL wa
    used in conjunction with Linux, Apache, and either Perl, Python, o
    PHP. Their explanation of LAMP made a lightbulb go off in my head."

    "The lightbulb that went off in my head was that LAMP represents th
    open source web platform. Most importantly, LAMP is the platform o
    choice for the development and deployment of high performance we
    applications. It is solid and reliable, and if Apache is any indicator
    then LAMP sites predominate."

    Best,

    Ellio

    astro, Dec 9, 2004