new comp.lang.python mirror at lampfroums.org--any Linux, Apache, MYSQL, Python Apps?

astro

Hello all,
We have set up new linux, apache, mysql, python, perl, and php forum
at http://lampforums.org .

comp.lang.python is at: http://lampforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18

The interface allows your posts to appear immediately on the forums
and also to private message other users.

Your posts will appear on the usenet too.

We've also started a number of forums devoted to popular LAM
applications such as oscommerce, cafelog, postnuke, phpnuke, gallery
coppermine, and more, for which there aren't any specific usene
groups.

I've used a few python applications, but what are the most popular LAM
(Python) CMS's?

Please let us know if you'd like to see any more forums.

The LAMP forums include:

alt.apache.configuration
comp.lang.perl.misc
comp.lang.php
comp.lang.python
comp.os.linux.hardware
comp.os.linux.misc
comp.os.linux.networking
comp.os.linux.setup
mailing.database.mysql

The LAMP application forums include:

LAMP Open Source Portals
Drupal Geeklog Mambo Open Source PHP-Nuke phpWCMS phpWebS

Open Source LAMP Content Management Systems
CMS, Postnuke, PHPnuke, Drupal, Mambo

Open Source LAMP Ecommerce
Oscommerce, Zen Cart, CubeCart

Open Source LAMP Wiki
phpwiki, tikiwiki.org

LAMP Open Source Photo Management
Gallery, Coppermine

Open Source LAMP Mailing Lists
phplist

Open Source LAMP Blogs
b2evolution Nucleus pMachine Free WordPres

Open Source LAMP Forums / Bulletin Boards: phpBB2, SMF, phorum
phpBB2 SMF phorum

LAMP Open Source CMS Polls: Advanced Poll , phpESP, PHPSurveyor
Advanced Poll phpESP PHPSurveyor

Please let us know what other forums/features you would like to see a
http://lampforums.org .

(e-mail address removed)

astro

The top of the page at http://lampforums.org has a few places where LAM
is spelled out as Linux, Apache, MYSQL, and PHP/Perl/Python.

I could make it more clear, I suppose--any suggestions as to how t
word it would be great!

The LAMP acronym has been around for awhile--I think there are even
few books with LAMP in the title.

I think that most people on here knows what it stands for, but I coul
be wrong.

Thanks for the feedback!

And any feedback on specific the re-wording of the page would b
great.

Also, what are everyone's favorite python applications for conten
management/blogging/etc?

Best,

Ellio

Terry Reedy

astro said:
Hello all,
We have set up new linux, apache, mysql, python, perl, and php forums
at http://lampforums.org .

Perhaps you could say at the top of that page what LAMP means.
My guess: Linux-Apache-Mysql-Planguage -- but why that particular
selection? Just to have a cute acronym? Why not other open souce
programs/languages? If you are successful, you will get visitors who are
even more puzzled than me.

Terry J. Reedy

Terry Reedy

astro said:
The top of the page at http://lampforums.org has a few places where LAMP
is spelled out as Linux, Apache, MYSQL, and PHP/Perl/Python.

Once I understood that that is what you are doing, it became obvious that
that is what you are doing. LAMPPP, LAM3P, or LAMP3 would be even more
obvious.
I could make it more clear, I suppose--any suggestions as to how to
word it would be great!

"Lamp is a shortened acronym for Linux, Apache, MYSQL, and PHP/Perl/Python.
These open-source programs are grouped together because many programmers
use them together (usually selecting just one of the P programs) to drive
web sites."

Am I to presume that open-source alternatives to each of the above are both
excluded and used less often? Or at least not used much by your target
audience?
The LAMP acronym has been around for awhile--I think there are even a
few books with LAMP in the title.

Whereas this is my second or third exposure, with the first that made an
impression coming earlier this year. A list of those books might help some
people, and would establish that LAMP is an established concept.

The FAQ seems not to exist.

Terry J. Reedy

astro

Thanks for the feedback.

I linked to Oreilly's onlamp.com article at:

http://lampforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36

What is LAMP?

LAMP is an acronym for Linux, Apache, MYSQL/Postgres, an
PHP/Perl/Python/Ruby.

These open-source efforts offer ever-increasing power and versatility.

In 2001, Dale Dougherty wrote at Oreilly's
href=http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/01/25/lamp.html :

"Several months ago, David Axmark and Monty Widenius of the MySQL tea
visited us in Sebastopol and they dropped a new term in our laps: LAMP
This term was popular in Germany, they said, to define how MySQL wa
used in conjunction with Linux, Apache, and either Perl, Python, o
PHP. Their explanation of LAMP made a lightbulb go off in my head."

"The lightbulb that went off in my head was that LAMP represents th
open source web platform. Most importantly, LAMP is the platform o
choice for the development and deployment of high performance we
applications. It is solid and reliable, and if Apache is any indicator
then LAMP sites predominate."

Best,

Ellio

RoxanneDzm